Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saved 24 lbs (unsprung weight which has a similar affect as 240lbs normal weight reduction) by changing wheels/tires.

Brake kits offer huge weight savings.

Carbon fiber body panels/trunk/frunk may help a little. Removing the power assist items like frunk/trunk shocks also shave a few lbs.

Replacing the electric mechanical seats would also save a ton of weight.

If someone came out with Lexan glass I'm sure that would be a huge weight savings.

Most other stuff is fairly minimal (take all your floormats and stuff out of the trunk/glovebox/frunk).

I'm a Miata racer so to us shaving weight is crazy important, we have even been known to shave all the excess thread on our bolts. Lol

The following will drop some pounds but at a cost:

1. Martian wheels
2. Ohmmu battery
3. Titanium Lug nuts
4. Remove the heavy rubber floor mats
5. Remove everything inside the trunk
cubby and also remove the trunk lid cover.

Fred

For the curious, here is the back seat removal procedure if you're really wanting to remove some weight further. Total weight with the rear seat back and lower cushion came out to ~57 pounds (seat cushion is 15, back left is 24, back right is 12.4, seat bolsters are 2.6 each).

Remove the seat bottom first. Instructions are in this video.

Next, remove the seat backs. Start by pulling the seat bolsters on each side but first pull the handles on top of the seat backs and tip forward. The seat side bolsters should just pop out from the top but I kind of worked it a bit before pulling them out. That will expose the seat heater wiring harness and two nuts on the side brackets. Unplug the harness (you'll need to pinch inside the locking clip then pull it out) and loosen the nuts. You'll be able to remove the smaller seat back by just sliding it off the mounting brackets. To remove the larger seat back, you'll repeat the same process but you'll also need to remove a bracket that is bolted in to the car and bonded to the center seat belt which is attached to the seat back. To do this loosen the bolt until the bracket slides out. Here's pics for reference.

For some odd reason the seat bolster clips attached to these were reversed on each side.
IMG_20200514_190015.jpg

seat back bolts which attach to the mounting bracket...
IMG_20200510_133105~2.jpg

seat cushion wiring harness and seat back wiring harness which need to unclip..
IMG_20200514_190604.jpg

mounting bracket connected to seat back along with wiring harness...
IMG_20200514_190226.jpg

IMG_20200514_190330.jpg

IMG_20200521_225030.jpg

IMG_20200521_225037.jpg

End result.

IMG_20200510_134617.jpg

Last edited:
Best way to reduce weight is by reducing unsprung weight. I would do it in the following order in terms of effectiveness.

1) Monoblock Forged Rims - Unsprung
2) Lightweight Tires - Unsprung
3) MPP rotors and brake kit - Unsprung
4) MPP / Ohlins Redwood Coilovers - Unsprung

These options alone will greatly increase range, suspension & handling will improve, and finally slightly more performance.

If you want even more weight savings I would do the following next:

5) Lithium ion battery
6) Titanium Lug Nuts - Unsprung

Best way to reduce weight is by reducing unsprung weight. I would do it in the following order in terms of effectiveness.

These options alone will greatly increase range, suspension & handling will improve, and finally slightly more performance.

5) Lithium ion battery

any Lightweight Tires recommendations? My goto is NLA Energy™ Saver A/S

5) Lithium ion battery

Can you decorate these suggestions with their weight savings?
Pounds or tens of pounds saved?

any Lightweight Tires recommendations? My goto is NLA Energy™ Saver A/S

At 205, those seem pretty narrow and would hinder acceleration performance, no?

TireRack is a great tire shopping site and includes tire weights in the specs. I am no tire expert but this reddit thread also seems like a good resource. Load rating would be a consideration for true compatibility but not an absolute necessity if you aren't carrying passengers. For 18" tires the PS4S are the lightest I could find that have full compatibility at 23 pounds. The Pirelli P Zero (PZ4's) are fully compatible and only 22 pounds but they warn of potential compound cracking not covered under warranty due to use in ambient temps below 45F. Perhaps there are other lighter one's that would work strictly in the summer that others know about.

Last edited:
Can you decorate these suggestions with their weight savings?
Pounds or tens of pounds saved?

Tens of pounds + saved.

For example, the stock 20 inch rims that comes standard with the P3D+ weight 28.75 lbs. The stock 18 inch rims weigh 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover) .

Getting monoblock forged rims in 18 inch would weigh 17.4 each, giving you 4.2 lbs saved per wheel, & 16.8 lbs saved in unsprung weight total. Unsprung weight effects your car drastically compared to sprung weight.

Better range, performance, and handling. Also monoblock forged rims are much stronger than the rims the model 3 comes with stock. Since we can't really do any performance mods on our cars, the monoblock rims are a no brainer, followed by the other components i listed that reduce unsprung weight. I'd do the lightweight battery last, if at all, due to the fact that it's not unsprung weight.

Last edited: