Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note, I got my M3P+ inspected yesterday. When the guy logged the weight of the car, he said it was just over 5,000 lbs.

I told him that was crazy and it was closer to 4,000 lbs. He then proceeded to show me the sticker on the door jam which indeed said gross weight was 5,000 lbs.

What gives?

Best way to reduce weight is by reducing unsprung weight. I would do it in the following order in terms of effectiveness.

1) Monoblock Forged Rims - Unsprung
2) Lightweight Tires - Unsprung
3) MPP rotors and brake kit - Unsprung
4) MPP / Ohlins Redwood Coilovers - Unsprung

These options alone will greatly increase range, suspension & handling will improve, and finally slightly more performance.

If you want even more weight savings I would do the following next:

5) Lithium ion battery
6) Titanium Lug Nuts - Unsprung

I call bull on the highlighted part.
Please define greatly.

To the other poster who doesn't understand GVWR sticker, that is Max allowable weight with passengers and cargo.

Tens of pounds + saved.

For example, the stock 20 inch rims that comes standard with the P3D+ weight 28.75 lbs. The stock 18 inch rims weigh 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover) .

Getting monoblock forged rims in 18 inch would weigh 17.4 each, giving you 4.2 lbs saved per wheel, & 16.8 lbs saved in unsprung weight total. Unsprung weight effects your car drastically compared to sprung weight.

Better range, performance, and handling. Also monoblock forged rims are much stronger than the rims the model 3 comes with stock. Since we can't really do any performance mods on our cars, the monoblock rims are a no brainer, followed by the other components i listed that reduce unsprung weight. I'd do the lightweight battery last, if at all, due to the fact that it's not unsprung weight.

You don't need to go with expensive 1 piece monoblock wheels to save weight and maintain strength. I went with rotary forged wheels that weigh 19 pounds. Wheel weights also completely vary by brand/size/width.

Also, just because something is unsprung weight does not automatically make it superior weight loss. Lug nuts are so close to the center of the hub that I highly doubt the weight savings they give is going to be better saving 25 pounds of sprung weight from changing the battery out. I know there's math that would provide the answer but from everything I've read the lug nuts make almost no difference. I'd rather have a battery that both saves weight and is superior than the stock one but that's just me.

Going to smaller wheels is not necessary decreases weight since tires with higher sidewall are heavier and they easily negate savings. Also, unsprung weight is not the same as rotational mass.

68 Dodge Dart 426 HEMI was available from the factory! Dodge tossed essentially anything in the car that didn’t improve performance in some way, ditching window regulators, consoles, carpeting, radio, heaters, all sound-deadening, and arm rests in the process. Hurst swapped out the metal fenders and hood for fiberglass pieces, acid-dipped the doors, installed thinner front and rear bumpers, and swapped out the glass windows for polymer-based ones that were secured by seat belt straps rather than the heavier traditional window cranks. The standard Dart seats were also replaced by the no-frills buckets out of the Dodge A-100 van. Plaid Tesla like 9 second 1/4 miles times were achieved.

On a related note, I got my M3P+ inspected yesterday. When the guy logged the weight of the car, he said it was just over 5,000 lbs.

I told him that was crazy and it was closer to 4,000 lbs. He then proceeded to show me the sticker on the door jam which indeed said gross weight was 5,000 lbs.

What gives?
So, after 18 months no-one answered your question? Gross weight (GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating) is the maximum overall weight allowed of the car. Empty weight plus passengers, luggage, fluids etc. Put the whole mess on a scale and no more than 5,000 LB. allowed. The figure is based on suspension, tires and brake capacity.

What gives?
GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the weight of the vehicle fully loaded to its weight capacity of passengers and cargo.

Subtract the weight capacity of the vehicle (found elsewhere on the door jamb) to get the empty weight of the vehicle.

Whether GVWR or empty weight is what should be recorded for inspection in your area depends on the inspection rules and procedures there.

Reactions: AdamVIP