Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduction in range - roof box/bike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are hoping to drive to France later this month. Has anyone got experience driving long distance with a roof box fitted? If so how much range does it sap? Same for (probably) one roof mounted bike although we may forgo that and hire. Thanks

I cannot answer for the roof box because I've not tried it with our Model S.

I can say that putting 4 x bikes on the roof results in a 33% loss of range even when speed is kept to 60MPH. And I know this because we took our car in this configuration around Northern France a couple of summers ago.

The practical effect of this is that you can't skip as many superchargers on your route as you would have otherwise. Since they all seem to be in hotel car parks close to areas of shopping, tourism or food, this is very little inconvenience at all :)

(In case you're wondering, the Aero roof bars alone have negligible effect on range - at most 2-3% - but I regretted leaving the 4 x bike racks mounted as, even without any bikes, I lost about 15% range at 70MPH as well as incurring a lot of noise).

I would expect a suitably aerodynamic roof box to be between 20-30% range loss based on these experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: nikhon and house9
I cannot answer for the roof box because I've not tried it with our Model S.

I can say that putting 4 x bikes on the roof results in a 33% loss of range even when speed is kept to 60MPH. And I know this because we took our car in this configuration around Northern France a couple of summers ago.

The practical effect of this is that you can't skip as many superchargers on your route as you would have otherwise. Since they all seem to be in hotel car parks close to areas of shopping, tourism or food, this is very little inconvenience at all :)

(In case you're wondering, the Aero roof bars alone have negligible effect on range - at most 2-3% - but I regretted leaving the 4 x bike racks mounted as, even without any bikes, I lost about 15% range at 70MPH as well as incurring a lot of noise).

I would expect a suitably aerodynamic roof box to be between 20-30% range loss based on these experiences.
I the impact of drag on energy consumption has a squared relationship with speed so around town you would notice very little impact. motorway journeys will be exponentially worse. Sadly that is of course the sort of driving people are more likely to do with things on the roof. Not much need for 4 bikes on a trip to Tesco.

Roofbox doesn't seem to affect aero :D

Darkside of the Plume
m8L3b5BI7ILBqWWCBeLQajylEezPgG1svq2LJ5HLPPvjJW1VRUWK6UHTVUc_9ylfeHeApJXttmBZkIuu0lgn8I7jmKY6hStG2xec73djGAIw=s0-d

(c) Project Plume Greenpower Racing: PROJECT PLUME RACING

I think I saw a video (no link, sorry) that said put the roof box on backwards for better aero? Also going back to my days of ICE and investigating this, I believe that its as much dependent on the weight you put in the box, as hauling that around has almost as big an impact as the aero, depending on your speed.

bikes on the roof is adding a lot of complicated shapes and a big frontal area so will have a big impact.

Personal experience with 4 bikes on the back of my 3, and the seats down and interior absolutely rammed, cost me 10% range and going at exactly the speed limit through a mix of 50/60/70 roads (I normally default to +5 and overtakes etc as required). So actual cost is significantly more than the 10%. Would have been worse with more 70 - going over 60 had an appreciable impact on the amount of right foot I needed.

Reactions: M3noob
We quite regularly have 3 mountain bikes on the roof, with front wheels removed, depending on conditions it adds 25-30% around 70mph. If you are are in strong winds or rain expect the impact to be significantly more. That said, due to the drag vs speed if you drop down towards 60 it becomes much much better, add in an HGV or tall transit and its not too bad. If you use ABRP a setting of 450 seems to give a reasonable estimate that you can bet with some slipstreaming

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Avendit
We quite regularly have 3 mountain bikes on the roof, with front wheels removed, depending on conditions it adds 25-30% around 70mph. If you are are in strong winds or rain expect the impact to be significantly more. That said, due to the drag vs speed if you drop down towards 60 it becomes much much better, add in an HGV or tall transit and its not too bad. If you use ABRP a setting of 450 seems to give a reasonable estimate that you can bet with some slipstreaming
450 wh/mi??? thats way more than 25-30%

I have a medium Thule roof box and notice that my energy consumption goes from abet of about 245 wh/m to 275 wh/m at 70mph in my M3 LR.

On long journeys I find this is not enough of a difference to make any noticeable impact on where or how frequently I stop to charge.

Perhaps I end up arriving at chargers with 27% charge vs 30% charge.

But who cares really. There are Tesla chargers everywhere in Europe Just put your roof box of there and go. Won’t make any real difference.

Have fun