Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RedwoodMotors

Global Vendor
May 27, 2019
Fremont, CA

Update June 17, 2023:​

We have a HUGE RE-STOCK of our most popular Redwood Motorsports coil over kits for both FP Spec Ohlins and FPSpec FPX Performance and Grand Touring kits. See this post at the bottom of the thread for info!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20210203-RedwoodOhlinsAWD_73a69c60-67e1-42cf-afed-a669f87544cc.jpg

Built from the ground up, we have partnered with Öhlins Suspension - the world's foremost leader in damper technology - to pioneer the gold standard for Tesla Model Y performance coilovers. Found on hyper-cars from Koenigsegg to Pagani, Öhlins dampers represent the pinnacle of modern suspension technology. This suspension blends track-ready damping performance with the compliance and comfort required for street use, and maintains an extremely wide range of damping adjustability.

Designing a shock dedicated for either street use or performance use is relatively simple. However, creating a single damper that is effective in both arenas is significantly more challenging from an engineering perspective. Öhlins' exclusive patented Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology, along with precision machining, internal seals, and Öhlins buttery smooth 1304 shock oil, yields an ultra-low hysteresis shock which can damp bumps over fractions of a millimeter. For the end-user, the result is a suspension that provides maximum grip in the corners, yet a firm-but-supple ride quality on the street. Those who have driven this setup have commented that the Redwood Motorsports Ohlins kit is surprisingly more comfortable than stock, yet one of the highest grip/performing coilovers they've driven. Best of both worlds!

M3Ohlins04_7254bc45-5795-49bc-bbcd-af5d214e7554.jpg

Extensive in development and testing with top motorsports manufacturers has paid off with what we believe is the Gold Standard that other shocks will be measured against. Not only the highest performing suspension available for the Tesla Model Y, but with the most supple ride quality - hands down.

Features:

• Öhlins DFV Dampers - Custom Tuned by Redwood Motorsports
  • Swift Springs™ - Produced Exclusively for Redwood Motorsports
  • Aurora Bearings™ - Teflon-Lined High-Load Motorsports Bearings (built to last on track and street)
  • Redwood Motorsports Gold Anodized 6061 Aluminum Hardware
  • Redwood Motorsports Billet 6061 Aluminum Front Mounting Forks
  • Your Choice of Performance or GT Settings
  • 32 Clicks Damping Adjustment Front and Rear (compression + rebound)
  • Maximum Height Adjustability
  • Ultra-Light Shock Assemblies (shed significant unsprung weight with mil-spec hard-anodized aluminum shock bodies)
  • Öhlins Patented Dual Flow Valve (DFV) Technology
  • Öhlins Temperature Correction Valve
  • Öhlins 1304 Race Oil (Buttery Smooth)
  • World Class Redwood Motorsports Engineering and Damper Tuning
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • MADE IN THE USA! (In Fremont, California)

M3Ohlins05_06e9a4f9-c4c6-45a4-9d6c-2624b9dc19d5.jpg

Additional Technical Details:

The precise control of the Öhlins DFV dampers are both due to the patented Dual Flow Valve pistons, as well as the high attention to detail and component tolerances, typically found on much higher-end shocks. The end result is a damper that has the ability to optimally track the movement of the road surface, increasing tire contact patch and therefore total available grip. Öhlins patented Dual Flow Valve piston contains center and side exit oil flow paths, which allows for separate control of low-speed, high-speed, and ultra-high-speed damping. The DFV has the unique ability to remain firm when it needs to (for body control movement), reduce damping force (for bump control), and significantly bleed-off damping force under high linear accelerations (to absorb abrupt and sharp impacts) instead of transferring them to the chassis. This makes the Ohlins DFV unsurpassed on both the track and street, as berms, mid-corner bumps, and other surface irregularities can be soaked up on track, as opposed to upsetting the chassis.

The same ultra-high-speed damping force is helpful on the street, as a firm-but-supple ride can be maintained for optimal body-control handling, while potholes and large impacts are readily absorbed during day to day driving.

An additional feature of the DFV is its internal temperature correction needle-valve, which meters the flow of shock oil to compensate for changing oil viscosity, based on shock temperature. This needle valve closes for cold temperatures where the shock oil is thicker, and opens to compensate for thinner oil viscosity when the shock becomes hot - resulting in absolutely consistent performance in all circumstances despite the internal temperature of the damper!

To learn more about the benefits of Öhlins Road & Track DFV Dampers please visit The Features Of DFV Technology | Öhlins

RWB02.jpg

To pre-order please visit our page-> Model Y Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

Attachments

• M3Ohlins05_06e9a4f9-c4c6-45a4-9d6c-2624b9dc19d5.jpg
    M3Ohlins05_06e9a4f9-c4c6-45a4-9d6c-2624b9dc19d5.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Can these be used with the factory top hat? Thank you.
The tophats create a little more NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), than the original tophats
These look so nice, top of the food chain here. I'm counting the days till the wife gets tired of the poorly tuned stock Performance setup. They dialed in way too much compression in the stock setup for my tastes.

Iirc, they are sold w or w/o the billet hats.
The original tophats have a little less NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) according to Redwood, although without their performance.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
TMC discount / referral code available? Looks like a great set up. I appreciate the attention to detail and the quality of the Ohlins equipment.
We don't have a specific "referral code" for Tesla Motors Club, but shoot us an email with your username and where you are located and we'll see what we can do to help ;) [email protected]
[email protected] with your TMC user name, parts you'd like to order, and location.
The tophats create a little more NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), than the original tophats

The original tophats have a little less NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) according to Redwood, although without their performance.
OEM Top hats will have less NVH and are recommended for ALL GT kits, and Performance kits that are concerned with NVH.

We don't have a specific "referral code" for Tesla Motors Club, but shoot us an email with your username and where you are located and we'll see what we can do to help ;) [email protected]

[email protected] with your TMC user name, parts you'd like to order, and location.

OEM Top hats will have less NVH and are recommended for ALL GT kits, and Performance kits that are concerned with NVH.
Possible to jump in on this?

Is there a general rule of thumb with the 32 adjustment settings in terms of inducing understeer or oversteer?
I don't think anyone can pinpoint a setting because the amount of grip depends on the tires. If you stiffen the front end up eventually you will start to lose grip (too stiff), thus you have understeer... that is if the fronts lose grip before the rears. Thus you can balance to preference, ie. balance the stiffness front to rear to achieve your desired result.

Primer on stiffness...

Taken from KW's setup manual
Generally, hard low speed bump settings will stabilize the corresponding axle (less over steer on the rear, for example) or offer the front a more precise steering response. Too much low speed bump power will decrease grip!

^ Thanks! I read that the MYP, in stock form, is more prone to understeer because of the staggered setup. You resolve this by going to a squared setup. I have done that. I am now very interested to see how changing front/rear dampener settings will further change the driving dynamics. I am having these installed next Tuesday and the shop installing them for me recommended starting at 18 all around.

^ Thanks! I read that the MYP, in stock form, is more prone to understeer because of the staggered setup. You resolve this by going to a squared setup. I have done that. I am now very interested to see how changing front/rear dampener settings will further change the driving dynamics. I am having these installed next Tuesday and the shop installing them for me recommended starting at 18 all around.
The Ohlins adjustments maintain x ratio of rebound to bump, you so matter what you can't get it completely wrong. And given how easy it is to adjust the Ohlins, I suggest you try big changes first. It's always good to know what it is like at near softest setting and then at near hardest setting. Knowing the extremes makes it easier to gauge where you want it to be imo. I'm assuming Redwood/Ohlins do like other brands and preset the adjustment, and according to their pdf it's at 7. 18 would be a big bump up, so yea I'd test the softest vs hardest as well before settling on 18.

The Ohlins adjustments maintain x ratio of rebound to bump, you so matter what you can't get it completely wrong. And given how easy it is to adjust the Ohlins, I suggest you try big changes first. It's always good to know what it is like at near softest setting and then at near hardest setting. Knowing the extremes makes it easier to gauge where you want it to be imo. I'm assuming Redwood/Ohlins do like other brands and preset the adjustment, and according to their pdf it's at 7. 18 would be a big bump up, so yea I'd test the softest vs hardest as well before settling on 18.
Well, for the Tesla I am not sure you could quite say it is easy to perform the adjustments. Unfortunately the front top hats are hidden under a plastic factory cover. You need to remove that cover to make any adjustments. I am by no means saying this is difficult, but it is an added step where you would otherwise have direct access. I am wondering if you could cut out a hole in the plastic cover for direct access. For the rear, I am not entirely sure if the adjustment knob is on top or bottom. I am not sure what the access is like there.

Well, for the Tesla I am not sure you could quite say it is easy to perform the adjustments. Unfortunately the front top hats are hidden under a plastic factory cover. You need to remove that cover to make any adjustments. I am by no means saying this is difficult, but it is an added step where you would otherwise have direct access. I am wondering if you could cut out a hole in the plastic cover for direct access. For the rear, I am not entirely sure if the adjustment knob is on top or bottom. I am not sure what the access is like there.
Leave the cover off until you've found your ideal setting. From what I've read the adjuster for the rear damper is at the bottom and can be accessed w/o having to raise the car.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I had the coilovers installed today. I had the dampers set at 16 all around and will make tweaks from there. I cannot really comment on difference in ride quality as I’ve only drove it from the shop to home (10 miles). I will say that was a bit surprised by the ride height as I had requested it be lowered as much as possible, according to the shop the rears are set as low as they can go, and I have more gap that I expected. Granted I am using 19” wheels vice 21”, but I was surprised nevertheless. I bought the performance sport and sent an email to Redwood asking if it is only the GT version which has max ride height adjustment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 396
I had the coilovers installed today. I had the dampers set at 16 all around and will make tweaks from there. I cannot really comment on difference in ride quality as I’ve only drove it from the shop to home (10 miles). I will say that was a bit surprised by the ride height as I had requested it be lowered as much as possible, according to the shop the rears are set as low as they can go, and I have more gap that I expected. Granted I am using 19” wheels vice 21”, but I was surprised nevertheless. I bought the performance sport and sent an email to Redwood asking if it is only the GT version which has max ride height adjustment.
maybe you need to the camber/toe arms?