Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It reads like they're not adjusted right?
Everything was installed correctly per Redwood discussion with the shop I used. The reason for the larger than desired gap (from my perspective) is the difference between the OEM tire (275/35-21) and the tire on there now (275/35-19) which results in a 2” decrease in overall diameter. If I want to decrease the gap, a 275/40-19 tires would increase the current overall diameter by 1”. Redwood mentioned that they have a few tricks go lower it even further, but after taking a hard look at ground clearance and wouldn’t want to go any lower.

I’ve had a chance to drive the car a bit more and am very happy with the overall feel. I haven’t been able to do any aggressive cornering yet. I can’t wait to get this to the track!

Reactions: thesmokingman
Everything was installed correctly per Redwood discussion with the shop I used. The reason for the larger than desired gap (from my perspective) is the difference between the OEM tire (275/35-21) and the tire on there now (275/35-19) which results in a 2” decrease in overall diameter. If I want to decrease the gap, a 275/40-19 tires would increase the current overall diameter by 1”. Redwood mentioned that they have a few tricks go lower it even further, but after taking a hard look at ground clearance and wouldn’t want to go any lower.

I’ve had a chance to drive the car a bit more and am very happy with the overall feel. I haven’t been able to do any aggressive cornering yet. I can’t wait to get this to the track!
Oh I see you changed wheels but didn't maintain same circumference. I'd definitely change to a higher aspect ratio tire, don't know what that will do to the motors long term. But I suspect your acceleration should be killer with the smaller diameter tires?

Glad you happy with those dampers!

Reactions: whisperingshad
Oh I see you changed wheels but didn't maintain same circumference. I'd definitely change to a higher aspect ratio tire, don't know what that will do to the motors long term. But I suspect your acceleration should be killer with the smaller diameter tires?

Glad you happy with those dampers!
Yes, I changed to 19” wheels. I went with the same sidewall dimension not knowing any better. I am honestly not sure about any increase in acceleration as I don’t have any data other than the seat of my pants and that tells me I am hoping Tesla offers a power upgrade for MYP. 😂

I had the coilovers installed today. I had the dampers set at 16 all around and will make tweaks from there. I cannot really comment on difference in ride quality as I’ve only drove it from the shop to home (10 miles). I will say that was a bit surprised by the ride height as I had requested it be lowered as much as possible, according to the shop the rears are set as low as they can go, and I have more gap that I expected. Granted I am using 19” wheels vice 21”, but I was surprised nevertheless. I bought the performance sport and sent an email to Redwood asking if it is only the GT version which has max ride height adjustment.
Ride height has nothing to do with wheel size; 19, 20, 21 doesn't matter. The diameter of the tires is the virtually the same for all the factory wheel sizes delivered by Tesla.
Your installer should have been able to adjust ride height. The limit is more about the tie rods and resulting camber/toe.

Ride height has nothing to do with wheel size; 19, 20, 21 doesn't matter. The diameter of the tires is the virtually the same for all the factory wheel sizes delivered by Tesla.
Your installer should have been able to adjust ride height. The limit is more about the tie rods and resulting camber/toe.
Installer was able to adjust ride height no problem. The problem, which really isn’t one lol, is I was a bit surprised with the result gap between the top of the tire and fender based on seeing results of other lowered Model Ys. The difference is actually attributed to the fact that my overall diameter is now 2” less by going from a 275/35-21 tire to a 275/35-19.

Installer was able to adjust ride height no problem. The problem, which really isn’t one lol, is I was a bit surprised with the result gap between the top of the tire and fender based on seeing results of other lowered Model Ys. The difference is actually attributed to the fact that my overall diameter is now 2” less by going from a 275/35-21 tire to a 275/35-19.
yup......26.6 vs 28.6 inch will do that......

yup......26.6 vs 28.6 inch will do that......
Once I wear these tires out I will go with a 275/40-19 which will increase current diameter by 1.1”. I currently have these set at 16 all around. I’ve done a little bit of spirited cornering and the handling is in fact night/day difference from MYP suspension. I have little to no body roll now. I don’t think there is any need to change stock sway bars at this point.

Once I wear these tires out I will go with a 275/40-19 which will increase current diameter by 1.1”. I currently have these set at 16 all around. I’ve done a little bit of spirited cornering and the handling is in fact night/day difference from MYP suspension. I have little to no body roll now. I don’t think there is any need to change stock sway bars at this point.
I wouldn't bother with sway bar changes for street use. The MY needs better dampers than the factory stock units, pure and simple. Other than that, the MY is a solid citizen.
I'd be looking to broker / trade out the tires you've got, though.

That much of a smaller dia. you are adding miles on your odo faster. You're also running the motor at a higher gear rate than intended, possibly increasing its wear rate. You're not off by a small margin like most, you're off by a huge margin man.
Thank you kindly for the heads-up. I will first contact Discount Tire to see if I can work out a deal on an exchange. I paid for the hazard certs on them, and will lose that money if I sell private sale.

maybe you need to the camber/toe arms?
No, all kits can go above stock - though contact us if you need to because we have some tips (there is a ton of adjustment range in these shocks as they are preload and free length adjustable). If you requested a particular ride height it's likely that the shop had some issue possibly? What did they say?

Also as mentioned above, if you're going significantly higher or lower than stock we would recommend either our Spherical or Rubber-Bushing based FPX rear control arms to bring things back into alignment as the rear is a multi-link setup. FPX is a lower NVH option (and a bit cheaper) as it reuses the OEM bushings for zero change in NVH compared to stock but remains adjustable.

Also as mentioned above, if you're going significantly higher or lower than stock we would recommend either our Spherical or Rubber-Bushing based FPX rear control arms to bring things back into alignment as the rear is a multi-link setup. FPX is a lower NVH option (and a bit cheaper) as it reuses the OEM bushings for zero change in NVH compared to stock but remains adjustable.
Where are the FPX rear control arms described or listed so that you could order them on your website? And how much difference in NVH are we talking about?

No, all kits can go above stock - though contact us if you need to because we have some tips (there is a ton of adjustment range in these shocks as they are preload and free length adjustable). If you requested a particular ride height it's likely that the shop had some issue possibly? What did they say?

now that you've had a few other Y's installed, what settings are people doing? Right now I'm at 17 up front and 16 in rear. It's awesome, but might try to do the softest setting and see what happens. For LA streets/freeways that are bumpy, what do you recommend so that it's as smooth as possible.

Reactions: whisperingshad
ANNOUCEMENT! All Ohlins coilover kits on our website such as FPSpec, standard, road/track, etc will be increasing in price of about $200. Pricing will be implemented by Monday (1/31/22). Unfortunately, the increase in price is due to the manufacture increasing their price as well. We can continue to accept orders that go in, with the current prices on the website, up to Monday (1/31/22)

Model Y Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

https://redwoodmotorsports.com/coll...coilovers-engineered-by-redwood-motorsports-™