Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stiffest setting is turning counter clockwise all the way in, correct? Mine the clicks are very clear and audible when all the way out, but it starts giving resistance and clicks are less audible and tactile feel after the 10th click; this is for the front. Anyone else has this problem?
On front ones. Stiffest is clockwise . On the rear it's the same but as if you were looking down at it from the top.

yes, harder to hear and feel the clicks after 10 turns from softest to stiff. Mine also has this clunking sound in front as if the spring is binding when going over dip/bump or driveway with an angle at a faster than very slow speed. I'm having EAS check it out Monday again to see what it might be.
I’m having the same issue on the left front. Does sound like the spring is rubbing on itself. Please let us know what EAS says.

@ntpphong Are you saying the detents get more difficult to feel and hear as you loosen further from full stiff?

Mine are that way. I assumed that was normal, but I've never had adjustable dampers before to compare.
@ntpphong I should clarify only my front adjustment detents are subtle. The rear detents are super easy to feel and hear, there's no missing them.

Both my front adjusters feel the same. And my rears feel the same as eachother too. So I think how each feels is normal.

@ntpphong @Occhis How low did each of you go? Is it possible you have so little preload that your front springs are unseating or shifting under full droop?

(I don't know if that's realistic or possible with your specific springs on this car, it's just a thought. For my Model 3 Performance Sport kit it seemed like helper springs would never be necessary in the front, and Redwood didn't include/use any in front. Definitely not needed for me at stock M3P height! They did include helpers in the rear where the main spring is shorter.)

@ntpphong @Occhis How low did each of you go? Is it possible you have so little preload that your front springs are unseating or shifting under full droop?

(I don't know if that's realistic or possible with your specific springs on this car, it's just a thought. For my Model 3 Performance Sport kit it seemed like helper springs would never be necessary in the front, and Redwood didn't include/use any in front. Definitely not needed for me at stock M3P height! They did include helpers in the rear where the main spring is shorter.)
It was lowered 10mm all around. I am raising it back up because I am so not used to driving this low.

Reactions: tm1v2
I can second the differences outlined by gadgetfreaky, who today spent a stupid amount of time with me, letting me drive his Redwood-Ohlins suspension upgraded MY around Manhattan Beach area on rough local roads, main thoroughfares and over RR tracks to experience what the Ohlins bring to the party.

You cannot overcome the fundamental limits of a heavy, medium wheelbase vehicle, but the ride qualities are more refined, definitely smoothing both rough / repaired pavement, manhole covers, and RR tracks at low and high speeds. Car is more stable, cornering body roll, nose rise on acceleration, etc reduced, everything is just more posied. It's just more sophisticated chassis management.
Mind you, it's not a dream ride. The tight characteristics of a nimble performance car remain, and again, the wheelbase isn't long so certain dimensions of swales and ruts will be evidenced by expected behavior, but the jumps, bounces and jolts are gone. You may hear the suspension doing it's work, but you will not feel any serious jolts like the stock suspension exhibits too often.
We did not go out on the highway, but we agreed on shared experience with a section of the 405 just south of the I-10 intersection that the stock suspension really fails on.
MY description: it feels like a blowout has occurred. The pavement sets up a perfect harmonic in the chassis.
He says the suspension has cured that. I believe it, given the roads we tested on today.

Also, we ran FSD Beta thru Manhattan Beach - tight roads, cluster intersections, double-parked vehicles, construction signs and roadworks, ALL HANDLED WITH APLOMB.
There are no standard straight roads or intersections in MB. It's a high-density population center on hilly terrain.
There was one 'T' intersection that FSD failed. But FSD gave the car on the RHS stop sign some 15 seconds time to proceed, they didn't and FSD began to enter the intersection - just as the other car tried too. So we had to take over.
FSD appeared to offer the correct priority (RHS driver) time to move. When they didn't it entered the space, just as the opposing driver decided too as well, but FSD didn't back off.

Many thanks for your very generous spending of your time testing with me on setup. Kudos !!
IT was a pleasure showing you the suspension, in fact softening it up just 1 click up front and back made it even better

I ended up at 381mm up front and 398 in rear (fender to hub center). It’s lower in the front than I wanted, but too lazy to take it all apart to raise it up. Redwood said that is the preferred method to change ride height on the GT kit, that is, remove the damper, compress the spring, adjust height and reinstall. Not my idea of a fun time, so I’ll leave it as is. I may change it just before the next time it needs aligned.

I ended up at 381mm up front and 398 in rear (fender to hub center). It’s lower in the front than I wanted, but too lazy to take it all apart to raise it up. Redwood said that is the preferred method to change ride height on the GT kit, that is, remove the damper, compress the spring, adjust height and reinstall. Not my idea of a fun time, so I’ll leave it as is. I may change it just before the next time it needs aligned.
Yeah I don't blame you for waiting until the next alignment. With the Performance Sport kit springs we were able to adjust preload in the front with just the wheel off, but Redwood mentioned to me that's not really possible with GT kits due to how much preload they run.

Which of course means you shouldn't be lacking in preload, even if you have the front pretty low. So nevermind that speculation of mine.

I can second the differences outlined by gadgetfreaky, ...letting me drive his Redwood-Ohlins suspension upgraded MY around Manhattan Beach area on rough local roads, main thoroughfares and over RR tracks to experience what the Ohlins bring to the party.

You cannot overcome the fundamental limits of a heavy, medium wheelbase vehicle, but the ride qualities are more refined, definitely smoothing both rough / repaired pavement, manhole covers, and RR tracks at low and high speeds. Car is more stable, cornering body roll, nose rise on acceleration, etc reduced, everything is just more poised. It's just more sophisticated chassis management.
Mind you, it's not a dream ride. The tight characteristics of a nimble performance car remain, and again, the wheelbase isn't long so certain dimensions of swales and ruts will be evidenced by expected behavior, but the jumps, bounces and jolts are gone. You may hear the suspension doing it's work, but you will not feel any serious jolts like the stock suspension exhibits too often.
I agree with the above, you end up with a smoother ride, but you do hear the suspension work at lower speeds (10-20 mph) going over speedbumps - it is a whooshing sound, my wife describes it as an old jalopy sound. There are no clicks or other mechanical sounds. The whooshing sound increases as you open the damper valves further. As an overall compromise, I have my valves set at 22 Fronts and 19 Rear.

I installed the Redwood GT suspension upgrade on my 2022 model Y LR with 19" wheels. My goal was a softer ride, at original height.

For the rear, I did not replace the springs and just replaced the shock absorber. I did this to maintain load carrying capacity of the vehicle, while maximizing range of motion of the shock/spring assembly. This approach only works if you are willing to live with the existing height. Redwood's (as well as all other vendors) spring assembly enables height adjustment of the vehicle, but requires some of the space to do that.

For the front, I replaced the entire assembly with Redwood's unit. I was able to set the height at the original settings. Once complete, I don't think we altered the alignment of the car (I have not taken it in yet for alignment - I will do so as a check.)

For comparison, I also own a 2022 Model X. So here are my opinions: (I am using a subjective scale of 0-100, where 0 represents the original Y, and 100 represents the Model X - It would be my goal to achieve a 100.)
  • Reducing the cold tire pressure to 36 all around improves the ride of the Y by about 5 to 10 %. In particular, the higher frequency bumps are better absorbed - This improvement is still true even after the suspension upgrade.

• I have 6000 miles on the Y now and I can say the suspension softens with break in. This adds another 10% of improvement to the ride. Overall, with lower pressure and broken-in suspension, the car gets a score of 15, maybe 20, out of 100.

• I only have 700 miles on the new Redwood suspension; it definitely improves the ride; but there are limitations as noted above. Today, I would say the car gets a score of 50 to 60 out of 100. I might be able to improve that slightly, but I think that is generally as close as 100 as I will get.
Would I upgrade the suspension, knowing what I know?
  • Redwood's product is top of the line - the fit and finish is superb. (And I can't comment on the competitors)
  • It is a very expensive upgrade.
  • It definitely improves the ride.
  • I am on the fence on recommending it... I think it depends on how important a smoother ride is to you, versus how deep your pockets are, versus the difficulty and side effects that come with changing out the suspension.
  • By the way, if you are into lowering or racing your car - then I would definitely recommend this kit - As you can really tune the car to what you want.

I agree with the above, you end up with a smoother ride, but you do hear the suspension work at lower speeds (10-20 mph) going over speedbumps - it is a whooshing sound, my wife describes it as an old jalopy sound. There are no clicks or other mechanical sounds. The whooshing sound increases as you open the damper valves further. As an overall compromise, I have my valves set at 22 Fronts and 19 Rear.

It’s true, the whooshy/squishy sound does increase as you go closer to 32. I started out at 28 all around and thought something was wrong with the dampers at first. As I played with different settings it was apparent the sound and the setting were clearly linked. Currently my M3DMLR is set at 16 front, 22 rear and is pretty comfortable, though I may go a little softer in the front. Love the Redwood GTs

Reactions: sagax
I don't find the current MYP suspension overly hard. It's just the jittery feel over broken surfaces I dislike. would the performance be the best bet for me? I usually now drive with SlipSlide on so it's not so unpredictable closer to the limit.

I don't find the current MYP suspension overly hard. It's just the jittery feel over broken surfaces I dislike. would the performance be the best bet for me? I usually now drive with SlipSlide on so it's not so unpredictable closer to the limit.
@Yperformance Give Redwood a call (during their business hours of course). They were helpful in guiding my choice of which Model 3 kit to get.

Based on your postings I'm guessing the Performance Sport would suit you best. Don't blindly follow my advice though! My only firsthand experience with Redwood's coilovers is with their Model 3 AWD Performance Sport kit on my M3P.

After 3months of wait (redwood was not so diligent about expected delivery date, they kept on saying different things and got delayed. was my major complaint for them. if they are short in stock, they should really have it in back order instead of taking the money and have customer wait for false promised period of time. also when i tried to cancel in the middle they charged 15% restocking fee so like $600. terrible!). I finally got the GT kit installed on my MYP this weekend. thanks to @Occhis who helped me out along the way.
was a bit of a trial and error cuz the instructions for model 3 was a bit different and included parts were also a bit different(helper spring, front spring mount no longer included- also had to wait whole half day to confirm with redwood to proceed). And they gave me model 3 specs for the preload by mistake so had to re-do it twice. As for the front I ended up setting the pre load to 30mm and turned out 20mm lower then stock which I'm satisfied with. As for the rear, at first they told me to set 1/3 way for the preload and came out almost 70mm above stock height. went back and lowered it all the way but still is above 30mm above. now ill have to go back and removed the adjuster rings so i can have it a bit lower. not sure why its set up so high.
I do hear the damper sound over the bumps at 20clicks so i guess ill just have to get used to it. They said they are working on the instructions for the Model Y so hope that will help for those who would DIY.

As for the ride quality, def agree with @John in LB - only had it for couple days but its defiantly an improvement overall. especially large/harsh bumps and wavy surfaces. not so much on vibrations or road noises (i put on 19" wheels and lowered tire pressure which helped more for this).

But for me I wouldn't recommend (for the money) unless you are quite sensitive to ride quality or into performance driving. As for me the car is for my wife and also have a new born so the smoother ride definitely helps and I'm gonna bring the car to the track occasionally so worked out for the dual purpose.
As a BMW guy, I was so satisfied with the MYP overall but the ride quality was only complaint that kinda ruined the experience. For me X5 with the electronic damper is the benchmark (for both ride quality and sportiness) and I can say it has come really close to it. will see how it does on the track next month.

@HanSolo58 That 30mm rear lift with the adjuster rings all the way down is surprising. Did Redwood say whether that's expected? I would ask for a clear answer on that.

Btw does your Model Y kit use helper springs in the rear? (My Model 3 AWD Performance Sport kit from a few months ago has helpers for the rear. No helpers for the front and definitely not needed for me there with the preload I'm running.)

@HanSolo58 That 30mm rear lift with the adjuster rings all the way down is surprising. Did Redwood say whether that's expected? I would ask for a clear answer on that.

Btw does your Model Y kit use helper springs in the rear? (My Model 3 AWD Performance Sport kit from a few months ago has helpers for the rear. No helpers for the front and definitely not needed for me there with the preload I'm running.)
Yeah i checked with them. After all what they said was every vehicle is different and should be adjusted by trial and error. They told me to remove the adjuster rings to bring it lower. It didnt come with the helper springs. They said it no longer does(although another person said it should come with the helper but seeing the height i wouldnt expect it). Not sure what the purpose of the adjuster if the lowest setting can only get to stock height. Maybe i can build an off roader in the future lol.

Yeah i checked with them. After all what they said was every vehicle is different and should be adjusted by trial and error. They told me to remove the adjuster rings to bring it lower. It didnt come with the helper springs. They said it no longer does(although another person said it should come with the helper but seeing the height i wouldnt expect it). Not sure what the purpose of the adjuster if the lowest setting can only get to stock height. Maybe i can build an off roader in the future lol.
@HanSolo58 Total speculation ahead....I wonder if Redwood is using a taller spring now with the lack of helper springs, and either they overshot on the spring height, or Swift messed up the new spec GT spring order and it's either stiffer or taller than Redwood asked for.

I would like to know what spring rate and free length Redwood says your rear springs are supposed to be. Then check if your springs actually match the spec...

I'm writing like I have way more experience or knowledge that I actually do. But it really doesn't seem right that you have to remove the adjustable perch just to match stock MYP rear height. (On the flip side that potentially gives you more compression travel than leaving the adjuster perch in place right?)

Btw I do think it's on purpose that the kit can go higher than stock, especially higher than MYP stock. Lifting is useful for some especially with a CUV.