Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports - Official factory 'Road & Track' Ohlins kit release, pre-order, specs, RWMS Ohlins accessories, and discussion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much every decision Tesla made about their suspension design seems due to cost cutting. It takes a great set of shocks to make the car behave decently.

Just look at their profit margin! :)

Right? The 3 and Y are all about cost reduction and manufacturing efficiency.

I do think the Model 3 chassis wasn't properly updated for crossover duty in the Model Y. Ever drive a 1st gen BMW X3? Piece of junk. It was based on the 3 series but all the driving goodness of the 3 series was gone. I've read better things about newer BMW X3, probably they've figured out better what it takes to make a crossover now. I'm hopeful Tesla will too and will improve the Model Y chassis. Who knows when though. I wonder if the "gigacast" ones feel any better.

Right? The 3 and Y are all about cost reduction and manufacturing efficiency.

I do think the Model 3 chassis wasn't properly updated for crossover duty in the Model Y. Ever drive a 1st gen BMW X3? Piece of junk. It was based on the 3 series but all the driving goodness of the 3 series was gone. I've read better things about newer BMW X3, probably they've figured out better what it takes to make a crossover now. I'm hopeful Tesla will too and will improve the Model Y chassis. Who knows when though. I wonder if the "gigacast" ones feel any better.
Much less expensive and quicker to the market using an existing chassis. Extra weight and higher center of gravity without further engineering overwhelm a chassis originally meant for a lighter sedan.

Two week update: The car has settled to a 1.25” drop on all corners. I had it aligned and it drives even smoother than before. The height is just about perfect! It clears all the speed bumps in my development and I haven’t had any issues with scraping or rubbing. The suspension is dead quiet and I haven’t heard any noises from it. I’m running 42psi and I have the dampers at 7 clicks from full stiff now. The car handles amazing and is super smooth on the highway. I couldn’t be more happy with this kit! Well worth the money! If you are looking for a more sporty ride, seriously consider this kit.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
@RedwoodMotors have an ETA for MY F+R Redwood Motorsports Floating Top Hats - Model 3 / Y Road and Track Kit? Would it also be possible to provide build services for a speced out kit prior to shipping?

Considering Swift Springs and the following:

1690780490013.png

Reactions: hyp36rmax
THIS JUST IN!

For those interested in NOT lowering your Model 3/Y, we now have DAMPER ONLY versions of our FPX and Redwood-Ohlins Long-Stroke kits! These include front spring adapters, instead of front and rear replacement springs, in order to reuse your factory springs in conjunction with the benefits of our custom Redwood-Ohlins and Redwood-FPX adjustable Grand Touring (GT) dampers - for a more affordable price, and more affordable install as it takes less labor to install and setup (no front spring height adjustment, and no removal of the rear spring). Since these use the same components from our FPX and Ohlins Long-Stroke kits, they can also be *upgraded* to full coilovers at a later date!

In addition, all kits (including full coilover kits) come with our *new and improved* one piece FULLY FORGED lower forks - stronger, and lighter than our previous version!

Reactions: Kwame and hyp36rmax