Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports - Official factory 'Road & Track' Ohlins kit release, pre-order, specs, RWMS Ohlins accessories, and discussion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RedwoodMotors

Global Vendor
May 27, 2019
Fremont, CA
Introducing the Ohlins Standard Road & Track kit now available for the Model Y! In today's video, Travis talks about what components come with the Ohlins Road & Track coilover kit, along with the type of upgrades and accessories that you can purchase for this kit from our website. We have begun shipping all of the pre-orders but still have additional kits available, quantities are very limited if you are interested in picking one up. Stay tuned for part 2 for the installation video and part 3 for a review of handling on the road!

Please feel free to email us [email protected] for any questions about the kit and what upgrades you should get for this kit!

Model Y Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit

it wasn't 2.png

Reactions: Pied
That looks amazing. So here's my question. I'd love to see a more inexpensive coil over option. The KW series, this Ohlins series... I realize they're amazing shocks with lots of adjustment, but I feel there's a solid market for a nicely tuned street only version. Something that doesn't have multiple adjustment settings. Something in the 1500-2000 dollar range.

Thoughts?

Do you have these installed on a Y that you demo? I wonder if there's any difference vs MPP comfort coils
@Pied Ohlins R&T will be on the firmer side, it's a "road & track" kit meant for track day use (on a racetrack) in addition to street driving. The Ohlins DFV damping is really good, it will ride much better than you'd expect with the high spring rates, and the handling should be really excellent. But if you're more after comfort I would suggest Redwood's GT Ohlins DFV kit over the R&T. Even the GT kit should blow away the stock suspension's handling, while also riding significantly better.

(My reference points: I have the Redwood "Performance Sport" Ohlins DFV kit on my M3P, and I've also experienced Ohlins DFV on another non-Tesla EV. I have of course driven Model 3's on stock suspension including my own, and a Model Y on stock suspension, but not any Model Y on aftermarket suspension.)

Sound like the Ohlins are more of a race/track design.
@Mateo83 Well there are several Öhlins DFV based options for this car now. The R&T has a track day + street mix focus. DFV rides very well for such great handling but the R&T will feel firm for sure, not comfort-focused.

The Redwood GT Öhlins DFV coilovers are much more comfort focused with significantly softer springs than the Öhlins R&T, and of course valving to match.

Based on my experience with performance-focused Öhlins DFV on my M3P and another car, I would expect very good things from the Redwood GT kit. My Redwood Performance Sport coilovers were pricey but I very much feel like I got my money's worth, it's that good.

@Mateo83 Well there are several Öhlins DFV based options for this car now. The R&T has a track day + street mix focus. DFV rides very well for such great handling but the R&T will feel firm for sure, not comfort-focused.

The Redwood GT Öhlins DFV coilovers are much more comfort focused with significantly softer springs than the Öhlins R&T, and of course valving to match.

Based on my experience with performance-focused Öhlins DFV on my M3P and another car, I would expect very good things from the Redwood GT kit. My Redwood Performance Sport coilovers were pricey but I very much feel like I got my money's worth, it's that good.
You're kind of contradicting your earlier post.

I know, I have MPP comfort coils right now. I'm wondering if the ohlins might ride better. My wife still complains about the comfort coils set to 14/14 all around.
For a more comfortable ride you'll want to look at our Ohlins GT (Grand Touring) kit - we've driven and tested every suspension set out there including all of the "comfort" kits available... Our Redwood Ohlins GT kit is hands down the most comfortable kit available - only downside is the cost compared to the competition. We were suprised to find such high spring rates on the various "comfort" kits out there... cost aside, as far as ride quality and compliance, our GT kit is as good as it gets for a Model Y (or Model 3 for that version). But they're more expensive than the standard Road and Track Ohlins kit and the various KW offerings

The Ohlins Road and Track are definately on the firm side - great for performance applications, back roads, handling, but they've got a relatively high spring rate and quite a bit of compression damping. Think more of a BMW M ride quality vs a standard BMW suspension

For a more comfortable ride you'll want to look at our Ohlins GT (Grand Touring) kit - we've driven and tested every suspension set out there including all of the "comfort" kits available... Our Redwood Ohlins GT kit is hands down the most comfortable kit available - only downside is the cost compared to the competition. We were suprised to find such high spring rates on the various "comfort" kits out there... cost aside, as far as ride quality and compliance, our GT kit is as good as it gets for a Model Y (or Model 3 for that version). But they're more expensive than the standard Road and Track Ohlins kit and the various KW offerings

The Ohlins Road and Track are definately on the firm side - great for performance applications, back roads, handling, but they've got a relatively high spring rate and quite a bit of compression damping. Think more of a BMW M ride quality vs a standard BMW suspension
Is it possible to have the option of a bit of a lift as well as a drop?

I want a city setting (up to half inch drop) but also a snow/backcountry setup (idk 0.5-1.5 lift maybe?) that I can use on unmaintained roads to access less visited hiking and camping areas until my cyber truck comes. It gets a bit difficult doing that with a half inch drop and I don’t clear some areas and might have to turn around after during halfway out there.

Is it possible to have the option of a bit of a lift as well as a drop?

I want a city setting (up to half inch drop) but also a snow/backcountry setup (idk 0.5-1.5 lift maybe?) that I can use on unmaintained roads to access less visited hiking and camping areas until my cyber truck comes. It gets a bit difficult doing that with a half inch drop and I don’t clear some areas and might have to turn around after during halfway out there.
I'm running a ~20mm lift on the RT kit and then another 1" from larger tires. It's much better for stock.

I'm running a ~20mm lift on the RT kit and then another 1" from larger tires. It's much better for stock.
That’s excellent and would more than meet any lift I would be looking for in my 3.

Any idea if the GT allow for say a 20 mm lift on a model 3.

If so then I just got to figure out if the spring rates Id like most. UP wont disclose the spring rates on their mild spring to me so I have no clue what Im currently doing. I dont need firmer and I dont want more roll either. These have been great for street use

That’s excellent and would more than meet any lift I would be looking for in my 3.

Any idea if the GT allow for say a 20 mm lift on a model 3.

If so then I just got to figure out if the spring rates Id like most. UP wont disclose the spring rates on their mild spring to me so I have no clue what Im currently doing. I dont need firmer and I dont want more roll either. These have been great for street use
UP seems shady to me. They make their own stuff? Oh dear God.

I'd just call Heath at Redwood and ask. I think they can do ~20mm. No secrets or BS there. And they're good at their jobs. 10/10.

How easy is it to adjust compression/rebound on the rear, under the vehicle? Do you need to take the wheel off?

I see you're in Castro Valley, when are we canyon running Redwood Road?
You will soon regret following me.

It's a little bit of a pain. Just lie on the ground and reach under the car to access the bottom of the struts in the rear. You can't do it if you have tyrannosaurus arms. Remember that clockwise is upside down since the rear struts are flipped. It'd be easier with the wheels off or a lift, of course.

I'm on Palomares. Maybe we can get together with @tm1v2 and set a date on a weekday.

Reactions: tm1v2
You will soon regret following me.

It's a little bit of a pain. Just lie on the ground and reach under the car to access the bottom of the struts in the rear. You can't do it if you have tyrannosaurus arms. Remember that clockwise is upside down since the rear struts are flipped. It'd be easier with the wheels off or a lift, of course.

I'm on Palomares. Maybe we can get together with @tm1v2 and set a date on a weekday.
We'll see about that.

Hmm... I just tracked my car at TeslaCorsa 25 with stock suspension. Tesla makes a fantastic OEM suspension, but I was still experiencing lots of lift over the hills and loss of grip around tight turns at speed. TeslaCorsa is run by Unplugged Performance, so there are tons of employees promoting their products. I know UP makes fantastic products (Reviews all over TMC and beyond + I run their Flugplatz wheels + Many cars running UP have sub 2:00 time at Buttonwillow), but the moment I brought up Redwood Motorsports, they began shitting on their coilovers (ie. RM doesn't offer warranty on track). TBH I found their promoting to be overall pretentious, despite their proven quality (I hope no UP employees read this lol). Some part of me wants to support RM because they're a smaller Bay Area company with a proven track record with Sakebomb Garage. RM uses real Ohlins DFV, has a lighter aluminum construction, uses a helper spring in addition to Swift springs, high-load front fork, and the adjustment can be done without taking off the wheel. That's just all I could think of & I don't know how UP can say RM coilovers are "inferior". However, I wish RM could do a better job proving why spending an additional $1000 vs UP is worth it. I would love to run their coilovers at TeslaCorsa someday and prove UP wrong (Sponsorship???). However, UP did just come out with the new $15k Ohlins TTX coilovers. At the end of the day, it always a game of who can out level the other.

My social on IG is the same as my username on TMC, follow and DM me! It would be a dream to test out the RM setup.

Reactions: lvl2EV