Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #21 is available now. We covered the recent wide release of FSD Beta and shared our experiences. We also discussed the best times to charge and Tesla's official CCS adapter. You can watch it on YouTube.

RedwoodMotorsports Ohlins Vs. Unplugged Performance Luxury Vs. Mountain Pass

Anyone have input on these?

Going to go for a set of coilovers to further improve the suspension ride after doing the 19" wheels on my Model Y P.

I run Ohlins DFV on my E46 dual duty track/street car and even at low ride heights they are amazing. But I haven't found many reviews on them for Model Y.

Unplugged Performance is local and so that makes it easy, and they seem like they really know their stuff.

Mountain Pass obviously has the most reviews out there, and the consensus is they're great.

Anyone want to chime in? Assuming they were all free/money no object, which would you get?

miracj

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Jul 15, 2021
Waltham, MA
I've read a lot of reviews here on these coilovers, and the indication seem to be that all work well. On the other hand, it seems that you get what you pay for as well. Mountain Pass seems to have a better presence on this forum and use KWs. Redwood seems to have the advantage of being able to adjust the rears without taking off the rear tires, and use Ohlins DFV. In all cases, I would add coilover covers for longer term protection of the coilovers. There are some newer ones coming on the market recently, but it is not clear what they bring to the table.

You should search this forum for threads on each one, as well as YouTube for videos on each.

Good Luck!

I've read a lot of reviews here on these coilovers, and the indication seem to be that all work well. On the other hand, it seems that you get what you pay for as well. Mountain Pass seems to have a better presence on this forum and use KWs. Redwood seems to have the advantage of being able to adjust the rears without taking off the rear tires, and use Ohlins DFV. In all cases, I would add coilover covers for longer term protection of the coilovers. There are some newer ones coming on the market recently, but it is not clear what they bring to the table.

You should search this forum for threads on each one, as well as YouTube for videos on each.

Good Luck!
Yeah I have. There's a bit of reviews of everything but no overall consensus, probably as these offerings are still relatively new and not a ton of people are doing coilover swaps anyways.

Seems from consensus Mountain Pass are best bang for the buck though. Does everything you want it to do for the best price out of all. But the way my Ohlins can rip around a track and yet stay compliant enough to not be a pain to drive around SoCal with a two finger gap between the fenders and the wheels on my M3... I mean... they're Ohlins. Lol

GeezerSquid

Still a Geezer & Still A Squid
Jun 17, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
I had the UPP Luxury coil-overs on my Model Y for about 3-4 months. They seemed to handle the car in good fashion. But, then the Ohlin's became available and I switched to them as quick as I could. I've used Ohlin's on almost all of motorcycles (BMW/Ducati's) and on a few cars and have totally loved them every time. In my humble opinion the Ohlin's out performs the UPP. But they should as they're $1300 more. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these 3 options.

Good luck

Hey OP! Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I work at UPP. Still, our team has dropped loads of time and substantial money into R&D to create a solution curated for the Model Y. We use quality swift springs and tuned dampers to balance out the heavy 4,400lb Model Y and turn it into a cooperative ride on the streets, but can easily be adjusted (with the rear tire on) to a sporty and direct experience for track use such as Tesla Corsa. Regardless, the Model Y has a stiff ride from the factory, and any coil-over is better than the OEM solution. Happy to answer questions!

Hey OP! Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I work at UPP. Still, our team has dropped loads of time and substantial money into R&D to create a solution curated for the Model Y. We use quality swift springs and tuned dampers to balance out the heavy 4,400lb Model Y and turn it into a cooperative ride on the streets, but can easily be adjusted (with the rear tire on) to a sporty and direct experience for track use such as Tesla Corsa. Regardless, the Model Y has a stiff ride from the factory, and any coil-over is better than the OEM solution. Happy to answer questions!
Thanks for your post. I understand that the MPP comfort coilovers lower the car, and can't keep it at stock height. Is that true with the UPP comfort coilovers? I definitely don't want to lower my MY, want to keep OEM height & keep the battery well off the ground.

Also, does the UPP comfort coilover help with the noise as well as the rough ride? I think the noise of hitting each bump or small ridge on the road is just as bothersome as the roughness of the ride, especially for long trips.

Thanks!

Thanks for your post. I understand that the MPP comfort coilovers lower the car, and can't keep it at stock height. Is that true with the UPP comfort coilovers? I definitely don't want to lower my MY, want to keep OEM height & keep the battery well off the ground.

Also, does the UPP comfort coilover help with the noise as well as the rough ride? I think the noise of hitting each bump or small ridge on the road is just as bothersome as the roughness of the ride, especially for long trips.

Thanks!
Just FYI, I have MPP coilovers, and you can have them at stock ride height. If you go for their other springs you can even lift it.

tm1v2

Oct 18, 2021
USA
I think it's MPP's Model 3 coilovers where you must lower the car (lower than M3P height), while Redwood's Model 3 coilovers support stock height.

For the Model Y my understanding is both Redwood and MPP support stock height in their coilovers (including MYLR stock height).

Anyone know if either Öhlins Road & Track or KW V3 supports stock height? Seems worth noting here. (Though I'm partial to the Redwood Öhlins and MPP KW kits over the off-the-shelf versions.)

Reactions: Pianewman

Thanks!
The UPP can maintain stock height.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC