Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RedwoodMotorsports Ohlins Vs. Unplugged Performance Luxury Vs. Mountain Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bigsmooth125 Good question.

I don't have answers, but I feel like mentioning that if you're into really pushing the car hard, especially over rough pavement, the OEM suspension is simply not useful. It doesn't matter to me if my OEM M3P dampers could stay within their spec for 150k miles (made up number!) because they functioned as a proper sporty performance suspension for exactly zero miles.

Don't get me wrong, the Model 3 itself feels fundamentally sporty and fun and I absolutely enjoy driving stock Model 3's, but some aspects of the suspension - damping especially - really hold it back when trying to drive it very fast through a fun twisty road.

(This applies to 2021 Model 3 OE suspension including M3P. Older Model 3 were a bit firmer and sportier, though still far from the level of Redwood or MPP suspension.)
The big name damper manufacturers often publish rebuild interval recommendations but I believe they're generally assuming racetrack use or a mix of street and track use, depending on the product line. I think they also hold their products to a much stricter performance standard - again with racetrack use in mind.

When I was researching this stuff I didn't really come across many stories of people feeling a need to rebuild reputable dampers like Öhlins DFV and KW v2/v3 (what Redwood and MPP, respectively, custom build into their coilovers) in purely street applications, unless there was some questionable history involved (used parts of unknown providence). For track rat cars seeing significant racetrack time, yes, rebuilds are a thing. Sometimes from the dampers feeling worn, other times just to change the valving especially if changing spring rates. Everything needs rebuilding or replacing with enough track use anyways.

The rest of the hardware in a coilover kit, like springs, mounting parts, etc I would expect to last a very long time unless it's super cheap low budget stuff (not Redwood or MPP). One exception: top hats, whether OEM or aftermarket. Mounts, bushings, and bearings all wear out eventually, it's just a matter of when. (And in many cases the car can still move down the road it just won't feel as good as if the part was still new / in-spec.)
Thanks. I'm planning to use for daily driving (almost like a grandma).

Thanks. I'm planning to use for daily driving (almost like a grandma).
@bigsmooth125 Personally with either Redwood or MPP I wouldn't worry about wanting to rebuild for well past OEM warranty period. Just my best guess. Öhlins DFV been offered as OEM option on sporty cars from multiple makes (e.g. Lotus, Polestar). KW has a very solid reputation for reliability too. Both are well established and well respected brands with a reputation to uphold.

That said anything can have the occasional early unusual failure, even OEM. Aftermarket parts warranties don't cover labor or loaners or Uber credits. Tesla service centers may refuse to do anything with aftermarket parts even if you're offering to pay. Most likely you won't have any major issues, but just in case, walk yourself through various failure scenarios and make sure you won't get stuck in a logistical or financial bind that you can't handle. Car modding isn't worth messing up your life for.

If you keep your stock parts then at worst you can just go back to stock, or temporarily back to stock. It'll still cost some combo of time and money to get that done though.

This is the "pay to play" part of car modding. In exchange you get to drive a car that you literally can't buy from a showroom. There's no car out there I'd rather daily drive these days than our modded M3P with Redwood coilovers and MPP FLCA bearings. :)

Reactions: miracj