Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RedwoodMotorsports Ohlins Vs. Unplugged Performance Luxury Vs. Mountain Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have input on these?

Going to go for a set of coilovers to further improve the suspension ride after doing the 19" wheels on my Model Y P.

I run Ohlins DFV on my E46 dual duty track/street car and even at low ride heights they are amazing. But I haven't found many reviews on them for Model Y.

Unplugged Performance is local and so that makes it easy, and they seem like they really know their stuff.

Mountain Pass obviously has the most reviews out there, and the consensus is they're great.

Anyone want to chime in? Assuming they were all free/money no object, which would you get?

I've read a lot of reviews here on these coilovers, and the indication seem to be that all work well. On the other hand, it seems that you get what you pay for as well. Mountain Pass seems to have a better presence on this forum and use KWs. Redwood seems to have the advantage of being able to adjust the rears without taking off the rear tires, and use Ohlins DFV. In all cases, I would add coilover covers for longer term protection of the coilovers. There are some newer ones coming on the market recently, but it is not clear what they bring to the table.

You should search this forum for threads on each one, as well as YouTube for videos on each.

Good Luck!

I've read a lot of reviews here on these coilovers, and the indication seem to be that all work well. On the other hand, it seems that you get what you pay for as well. Mountain Pass seems to have a better presence on this forum and use KWs. Redwood seems to have the advantage of being able to adjust the rears without taking off the rear tires, and use Ohlins DFV. In all cases, I would add coilover covers for longer term protection of the coilovers. There are some newer ones coming on the market recently, but it is not clear what they bring to the table.

You should search this forum for threads on each one, as well as YouTube for videos on each.

Good Luck!
Yeah I have. There's a bit of reviews of everything but no overall consensus, probably as these offerings are still relatively new and not a ton of people are doing coilover swaps anyways.

Seems from consensus Mountain Pass are best bang for the buck though. Does everything you want it to do for the best price out of all. But the way my Ohlins can rip around a track and yet stay compliant enough to not be a pain to drive around SoCal with a two finger gap between the fenders and the wheels on my M3... I mean... they're Ohlins. Lol

I had the UPP Luxury coil-overs on my Model Y for about 3-4 months. They seemed to handle the car in good fashion. But, then the Ohlin's became available and I switched to them as quick as I could. I've used Ohlin's on almost all of motorcycles (BMW/Ducati's) and on a few cars and have totally loved them every time. In my humble opinion the Ohlin's out performs the UPP. But they should as they're $1300 more. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these 3 options.

Good luck

Hey OP! Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I work at UPP. Still, our team has dropped loads of time and substantial money into R&D to create a solution curated for the Model Y. We use quality swift springs and tuned dampers to balance out the heavy 4,400lb Model Y and turn it into a cooperative ride on the streets, but can easily be adjusted (with the rear tire on) to a sporty and direct experience for track use such as Tesla Corsa. Regardless, the Model Y has a stiff ride from the factory, and any coil-over is better than the OEM solution. Happy to answer questions!

Hey OP! Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I work at UPP. Still, our team has dropped loads of time and substantial money into R&D to create a solution curated for the Model Y. We use quality swift springs and tuned dampers to balance out the heavy 4,400lb Model Y and turn it into a cooperative ride on the streets, but can easily be adjusted (with the rear tire on) to a sporty and direct experience for track use such as Tesla Corsa. Regardless, the Model Y has a stiff ride from the factory, and any coil-over is better than the OEM solution. Happy to answer questions!
Thanks for your post. I understand that the MPP comfort coilovers lower the car, and can't keep it at stock height. Is that true with the UPP comfort coilovers? I definitely don't want to lower my MY, want to keep OEM height & keep the battery well off the ground.

Also, does the UPP comfort coilover help with the noise as well as the rough ride? I think the noise of hitting each bump or small ridge on the road is just as bothersome as the roughness of the ride, especially for long trips.

Thanks!

Thanks for your post. I understand that the MPP comfort coilovers lower the car, and can't keep it at stock height. Is that true with the UPP comfort coilovers? I definitely don't want to lower my MY, want to keep OEM height & keep the battery well off the ground.

Also, does the UPP comfort coilover help with the noise as well as the rough ride? I think the noise of hitting each bump or small ridge on the road is just as bothersome as the roughness of the ride, especially for long trips.

Thanks!
Just FYI, I have MPP coilovers, and you can have them at stock ride height. If you go for their other springs you can even lift it.

I think it's MPP's Model 3 coilovers where you must lower the car (lower than M3P height), while Redwood's Model 3 coilovers support stock height.

For the Model Y my understanding is both Redwood and MPP support stock height in their coilovers (including MYLR stock height).

Anyone know if either Öhlins Road & Track or KW V3 supports stock height? Seems worth noting here. (Though I'm partial to the Redwood Öhlins and MPP KW kits over the off-the-shelf versions.)

Reactions: Pianewman

Thanks!
The UPP can maintain stock height.

Anybody know the spring rates any of theses setups use?
EDIT: These are Model 3 numbers I'm posting! Öhlins R&T kit is identical for 3 or Y but I believe Redwood and MPP each have specific tuning for 3 vs Y and that could include different spring rates given the Y's extra weight.

@ryanjorunner@g Redwood Performance Sport for Model 3 AWD which I have uses 8 kg/mm front 11 kg/mm per the manual.

For Redwood HPDE/Race on Model 3 AWD I believe it's 10 kg/mm front 13 kg/mm rear, I've seen that straight from Redwood somewhere.

For Öhlins R&T it's 11 kg/mm front 12 kg/mm rear per Öhlins description. So similar overall stiffness to Redwood HPDE/Race but higher front:rear ratio. The R&T setup might understeer a bit more, in theory. (R&T kit is the same kit for any 3 or Y, at least for AWD cars.)

I think I once read Redwood GT for Model 3 is 6 kg/mm front and 8 or 9 kg/mm rear...but don't quote me on that because I'm not sure that was straight from Redwood! It seems plausible though. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't come across any official looking numbers for MPP, I think they consider their spring rates proprietary. Would be interesting if someone measured. As I've said I think MPP Comfort actually has a bit more sport focus than Redwood GT but I don't know how much of that is spring rate vs damper valving.

Last edited:
MPP is junk. Go redwood.
I'm so sorry that our team fulfilling your order and getting it shipped within hours of it being placed, and answering your installation question on a Sunday isn't enough to build a little goodwill and trust.

I can say if our customer service ever gets worse, it will be guys like this that are the reason. They really try to beat the care out of you!

Damper shafts can turn when you tighten the top mount nuts. Every shock absorber shaft in the world can turn. So please add a little context when you're bashing us online, if it's not too much to ask. You have an installation problem, not an MPP problem. Thanks and we hope you resolved your issue!

With (hopefully) never-ending love,

- Team MPP

How long are these suspension systems expected to last?
@bigsmooth125 Good question.

I don't have answers, but I feel like mentioning that if you're into really pushing the car hard, especially over rough pavement, the OEM suspension is simply not useful. It doesn't matter to me if my OEM M3P dampers could stay within their spec for 150k miles (made up number!) because they functioned as a proper sporty performance suspension for exactly zero miles.

Don't get me wrong, the Model 3 itself feels fundamentally sporty and fun and I absolutely enjoy driving stock Model 3's, but some aspects of the suspension - damping especially - really hold it back when trying to drive it very fast through a fun twisty road.

(This applies to 2021 Model 3 OE suspension including M3P. Older Model 3 were a bit firmer and sportier, though still far from the level of Redwood or MPP suspension.)
The big name damper manufacturers often publish rebuild interval recommendations but I believe they're generally assuming racetrack use or a mix of street and track use, depending on the product line. I think they also hold their products to a much stricter performance standard - again with racetrack use in mind.

When I was researching this stuff I didn't really come across many stories of people feeling a need to rebuild reputable dampers like Öhlins DFV and KW v2/v3 (what Redwood and MPP, respectively, custom build into their coilovers) in purely street applications, unless there was some questionable history involved (used parts of unknown providence). For track rat cars seeing significant racetrack time, yes, rebuilds are a thing. Sometimes from the dampers feeling worn, other times just to change the valving especially if changing spring rates. Everything needs rebuilding or replacing with enough track use anyways.

The rest of the hardware in a coilover kit, like springs, mounting parts, etc I would expect to last a very long time unless it's super cheap low budget stuff (not Redwood or MPP). One exception: top hats, whether OEM or aftermarket. Mounts, bushings, and bearings all wear out eventually, it's just a matter of when. (And in many cases the car can still move down the road it just won't feel as good as if the part was still new / in-spec.)