Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral "1000 free Supercharger miles"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find this info posted elsewhere, so I just wanted to share what I've observed about the "1000 free Supercharger miles" that Tesla is now awarding with referrals, and what "1000 miles" actually means in this context.

In short, it simply means 400 kWh.

How do I know? I went on a road trip in my Model 3 LR RWD last weekend and I started out with 1000 free Supercharger miles remaining on my account after a friend had bought a Tesla using my referral code. Then, I proceeded to use 121 kWh over 4 Supercharger charging sessions. (The 121 kWh figure was determined simply by adding up the kWh figures for each charging session shown in my Tesla account's History page). After this, the free Supercharger miles remaining on my account had dropped by 302 miles -- down to a total of 698 miles remaining. (This number can be found under the "Loot Box" in the Tesla app.)

A little math reveals that the 121 kWh and 302 miles figures align perfectly with "1000 miles" actually being equal to "400 kWh".

[1000 miles] * [121 kWh / 400 kWh] = 302.5 miles

Furthermore, the combined "miles added" from these 4 Supercharging sessions (as shown on the car's screen at the end of each charging session) added up to 520 miles, so it's clearly not going by "miles added". In fact, this shows that these "1000 free Supercharger miles" should actually be good for ~1,720 miles of actual Supercharging in my Model 3 LR RWD.

And here's one other interesting detail: Even if you're in a state that normally does Supercharger billing by the minute and not by the kWh, it still debits your "free miles" by the kWh and not by the minute. All of the above charging was done in Michigan, which normally bills by the minute, but my account history for each of these charging sessions displayed the energy use in kWh and did not show any information about charging time durations.

Thanks for the information on the 400 kWh.

My OTHER question about referral bonus: When and where does it show up? My friend ordered four weeks ago, using my code. Nothing has shown up anywhere that I can see. He is taking delivery next week. What happens? What should I be doing?

And finally: Are those 400 kWh's available indefinitely? Let's say that I don't charge away from home for a year, and then I take a big trip. Still available for me?

Where did you see the miles remaining, etc? I only see the delivered/ordered car list. Using the android app.

upload_2019-12-19_0-20-44.jpeg

upload_2019-12-19_0-22-13.png

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
My OTHER question about referral bonus: When and where does it show up? My friend ordered four weeks ago, using my code. Nothing has shown up anywhere that I can see. He is taking delivery next week. What happens? What should I be doing?

I don’t think you get anything until after delivery. On your account page, I believe you should see something indicating that your referral code has been used for an order. Once the delivery happens, your account should update shortly after to show that your referral got delivered. After that you should see your Supercharger mile credits show up in the Loot Box in the app (as shown in the previous post). You don’t need to do anything else.

And finally: Are those 400 kWh's available indefinitely? Let's say that I don't charge away from home for a year, and then I take a big trip. Still available for me?

Nope. They’re only good for 6 months.

Referral Program

“Free Supercharger miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account, and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. Each additional referral will extend the previous expiration date by 6 months up to 36 months. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.”

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Thanks, msmay311.

So my account shouldn't look like this since the car was ordered with my referral a month ago.

View attachment 489944

Bummer about the six months. I've never been able to turn up that fine print. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, it should be showing up there.

Maybe confirm with the friend that they used the referral code. If they did (successfully), I believe it should show up in the same spot on their account page. If it doesn’t show up, then they either didn’t use the code or Tesla dropped the ball on it somehow, in which case it might be worth reaching out to customer service.(?)

In fact this all came up when my friend asked if I could see it in my account, since he doesn't see it in his. :shrug: This is my first referral (even from family members who bought without using ANY referral!). So I had no idea how it is supposed to work, and neither does he! He'll call tomorrow.

I mean honestly this is worth about $100, and is only good for the six months, so I'm not gonna cry. Still, it is better than a sharp stick in the eye, so....

Thanks for your help.

Anyone know if these credits every expire? I have free Supercharging for life on my Model X. But a few friends have bought cars and use my code. So now I also have credits. In a year I will replace the X and was hoping these credits would still be available.

People used to get all kinds of things like rims, and all we get is $40 worth of electricity that expires in 6 months? Is this a joke?

By the way, mine did not expire in 6 months.
In CA it is closer to $100 worth of electricity. It isn't much, but it is better than a sharp stick in the eye. I agree with others that the incentive should only be for the current owner. Once the other person purchases, then he or she can start "selling" the car to others. Giving the incentive to both the buyer and seller is not sustainable, nor does it make any sense. The point is to make "sellers" out of the existing owners. The buyer is gonna buy anyway.

How long your incentive lasts will depend on the "rules" that were in place when you earned the reward. The thing has been all over the map. I had a friend get lifetime supercharging (as a TM3 buyer!) WELL after that was terminated as an option.

The reason for this is that referral miles work for all vehicles on your account. And for the "1000" miles to be valid, it has to work for the highest consumer of power - so the benchmark is Model X.

The reason for this is that referral miles work for all vehicles on your account. And for the "1000" miles to be valid, it has to work for the highest consumer of power - so the benchmark is Model X.
Hmm. Interesting take. I always did think it was odd to claim a number of miles of electricity. That's as bad as a Wattage of brightness.

By the way, mine did not expire in 6 months.

Ditto.

It's now 6 months and 26 days after I had 1000 free Supercharger miles added to my account from a referral delivery, and I still have some of these miles remaining on my account today. And I just Supercharged 2 days ago and didn't get billed -- just deducted from my remaining free miles balance.

I wonder if this is just a lucky error on my account, or if this whole "doesn't-actually-expire-after-6-months" thing is more widespread.

Can anyone else add some more data points to this picture?