TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Referral Best Practices

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Markk993, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Markk993

Markk993 Member

Last week one of the VPs of my company reached out to me asking about purchasing a Model X... Like most of us on this forum I am a bit obsessed with all things Tesla so I was able to guide him and he did in fact order a Model x yesterday.

This gives me 1 referral... when looking at the referral program i found that I only need 3 to get the Arachnid wheels (which I am also obsessed with) As much as I continually rave about my car and the benefits of Tesla ownership to anyone that will listen I just don't know that many people that shop in this price point.

I have seen on the forum people talking about getting 5+ referrals and I am wondering how they are doing this... Do they have a huge circle of friends that fit the demographic or is there something people are doing to hustle for these referrals.

I NEED 2 more ... I don't want 2 more, I NEED 2 more...

A few days ago when I dropped my car off for service there was a couple there for a test drive so I started talking to them and they asked me a lot of questions about ownership. I spoke to them for about 20 minutes giving my usual Tesla testimonial and left them my referral code in hopes that they get tired of waiting for the Model 3 they have on order and pull the trigger on a new 75D. I even texted the guy the next day to see how his test drive went.

So apart from having a huge supply of pretty well of friends and stalking people at the service center, I wanted to find out if there is anyone who has been successful at getting multiple referrals that would be willing to share their best practices. I know we cannot post referral codes on the Forum and I have even seen people post referral codes on Craigslist (which seems like an odd route) but PLEASE PLEASE tell me what I can do to get to the magical 3 referrals i need for my beloved Arachnid wheels.

Any advice, ideas or best practices would be greatly appreciated...

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Same question! One down, two to go!

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If you hang out at the showroom a lot, you might want to use business cards with your ts.la link on them. :) This is what the referral program is actually made for, for people to thank you when you do help them make a decision to get a Tesla!

• Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Just keep doing what you are doing. It's hard to tell what would happen with any one person.

I had one guy contact me, and I spent well over two hours on the phone with him over two days going over all the different options and differences between models, etc. He was very, very, Tesla obsessed, and really, really wanted one, but had no idea where to start. I diligently answered all his questions, hoping he'd use my referral code when it came time to buy one.

The next day he went on a test drive and wrote me back "We went for a test drive last night. We weren't impressed, thanks for your time".

P.S. If you don't get two more referrals, I have a set of Arachnids rims+tires for sale. ;)

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Agree 100%. After my 1st referral to a family friend I obsessed about how to get to 3.

Through doing just like what you are doing - helping educate, giving test drives (especially since CT won't let tesla), answering questions, etc I now have 3 referrals and am working on a 4th to secure a powerwall which excites me more than the wheels.

You can also setup a YouTube channel or yet another tesla inventory search site and include your referral in there :)

6. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

For my referrals, I invested quite a bit of time with a few of the individuals. They didn't know much about the car, how leases work or just wanted to know if they were getting a good deal or what to look out for. I enjoy helping people out. Sometimes my deal threads and all the PM's I get is a little overwhelming and I don't have time to answer them all. I'm sure if I spent more time, I could drum up more referrals for myself, but I don't do it for referrals. I simply love the Tesla community.

For others, it was just the right place at the right time on a crazy price adjusted vehicle and I directed them through my OA to snatch it up and they used my referral. Others have their own code or have a friends they want to use, which I don't mind. You win some, you lose some.

I've maxed out our two accounts, one at 4 and the other at 5 and while I could have kept going on to secret levels, I decided it was better to share the love and give those that that used my code a referral back off the referrals I kept getting. Some I knew had little kids and they'd love to get the Radio Flyer as a toy to play with.

• Like x 3
  7. Markk993

Markk993 Member

how does the referral work anyway logistically... I know you get the radio flyer for 1, the solar token for 2 and the wheels for 3 but do you get 3 referrals do you get all 3 gifts? might be a dumb question. thanks

8. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Yes.

9. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

I need one more. Except they dont work for MX so when I get them Ill sell them. When I sell them I will donate the money to charity. MIght also get rid of my solar roof early access token too and donate the money

10. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

MX owner can opt to receive the 22" wheels for the X

• Helpful x 1
  11. zackmilo

Still want to help out. IF I opt for that route I will sell my 20s and then donate the money. Let me know if anyone needs a referral! You will save $1000 and get free supercharging and a charity will get a lot of money. Either donating to texas and florida if it gets bad (hopefully not!)
    Thanks

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Markk993

Markk993 Member

i think i am going to hand out at the showroom tomorrow and stalk those doing test drives... LOL

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Scoopa

Scoopa Member

Are people paying for the early access token for the solar roofs? If so, how much are you seeing them go for? Thanks!

14. zackmilo

I don't know. Haven't seen any for sale. What I will probably do is if someone uses my referral I will give them the token. So if anyone needs a referral, hit me up! Thanks!

• Like x 1
  15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

We're buying a house with tons of solar exposure, and I did the math on the solar tiles, and unless you have unlimited cash and don't care about the cost, there's no way it makes financial sense. It's a huge upfront cost with a minimum of a 20-year break-even point. We only plan to stay in this new house 10 years. Also, the roof was just replaced in 2014, so who wants to tear down an almost new roof?

I'm getting a solar token and have absolutely no use for it (as much as I'd like to do so). I'm tempted to just give it away, with the caveat that the receiver actually uses it and not resells it (but that's a hard thing to enforce, I'd guess).

So I just can't see that many people wanting to install the solar roof compared to a regular solar panel installation that costs tens-of-thousands of dollars less, therefore, I just don't see these tokens of much value to sell or exchange for referrals, except for maybe a few folks here.

(I haven't decided what to do with my token, so please don't PM me just yet;) )

• Like x 1
  16. G'sinHawaii

G'sinHawaii Member

I just need 1 more referral for the Powerwall, My first referral, asked for the kid rider which I gladly gave to him for free, I am waiting for my second and 3rd referrals to take delivery and plan to use both of those prizes myself.... as well as the powerwall if I am luck enough to get one more referral...

17. Markk993

Markk993 Member

Still need 2 for my rims... I will do anything I have to do...LOL... made a deal with a lady to give her the kids car but havent gotten the referral yet...

18. Mayo

Mayo Member

Does anyone know how long it takes Tesla to give me a purchase code for the Radio Flyer order. After the referral has taken delivery of his Tesla.

19. zackmilo

I got mine about 2.5 weeks after.

20. Mayo

Mayo Member

Thank You zackmilo for your input.