Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Code Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a buddy that ordered a Model S about week and half ago. I had referred him to my Sales advisor and he ended up buying the car.

I have been trying to track in my App that my referral code was used but it says it has not. I reached out to my SA and he said that they had server issues and should be there in a few days.

Question that I have here is that, does it take a while to pop-up? Or is it instantaneously? I

I had a buddy that ordered a Model S about week and half ago. I had referred him to my Sales advisor and he ended up buying the car.

I have been trying to track in my App that my referral code was used but it says it has not. I reached out to my SA and he said that they had server issues and should be there in a few days.

Question that I have here is that, does it take a while to pop-up? Or is it instantaneously? I
Go to your My Tesla page and scroll down to the referral program. Your friend will be listed there as well as the day ordered. No referral award is sent out until car delivery has taken place, It will also show that,

Does your friend show unlimited or paid supercharging on their end?

I had some issues with the referral codes. It all got resolved but it did take a while. When I was originally placing the order I ended up making a color change right after putting down the deposit. Then the next day they found an inventory model that matched my config (we weren't looking in white at the store). So within two days I had two reservation changes.

The person's referral code that I used just showed cancelled on their end. On my end when looking at the charging screen it showed I had paid supercharging. I went back and forth with the OA for a while trying to sort it out. He would keep pointing to the $1k off on the invoice to prove the code worked but I kept seeing the paid supercharging and the referrer still showed the cancel.

Once I got him to check with their system admins they were able to sort it out. It still took a few days for the car and the My Tesla page to reflect unlimited supercharging. The referrer also eventually got credit.

When a friend used my code for their MS there was a similar situation where they had placed an order but then found an inventory model they wanted more. On my end it showed a cancel then a new order (luckily there wasn't any problem here), but on their end they were showing paid supercharging. They contacted their OA and it got sorted out after a few days.

If it's not showing up in your app or on your My Tesla account, keep on your OA till it gets sorted out. Their referral system could definitely use some stability upgrades.

If they use your link directly, it will use up your referral code. If they end up having the SA apply it to their order, it doesn't take up one of the uses. But they will still show up as "Ordered" on your referrals list. It also doesn't matter because AFAIK it resets your available referrals after 5.

I just noticed that on My Tesla page, it lists one of my referrals as "Delivered" whereas before it was "Ordered". But I haven't received any email from Tesla.

This is my first referral. Do they send out the reward as soon as it is delivered? Or do I need to wait until the end of the referral period?

I just noticed that on My Tesla page, it lists one of my referrals as "Delivered" whereas before it was "Ordered". But I haven't received any email from Tesla.

This is my first referral. Do they send out the reward as soon as it is delivered? Or do I need to wait until the end of the referral period?

Congrats! That means you get a radio flyer Tesla - the new ones too with the refreshed face. Once it moves to Delivered it means your referral has taken delivery. It typically takes 2-3 weeks for the email to come with your award, and an addition 5 weeks for it to arrive. Check your email and spam though, your code for the toy will be in there.

Congrats! That means you get a radio flyer Tesla - the new ones too with the refreshed face. Once it moves to Delivered it means your referral has taken delivery. It typically takes 2-3 weeks for the email to come with your award, and an addition 5 weeks for it to arrive. Check your email and spam though, your code for the toy will be in there.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply :)

If it doesn't show up in a couple of weeks send an email to the referral awards dept. link on same page. They get back to you in a day or two.

I ordered last week with delivery at the end of this month or early next month. I have ask 3 different people at Tesla. Sales, Finance, Deliver and not one can confirm if or where I should see I get Free Supercharging in writing. I did find someone's video where he said it is on his "My Tesla" Page tied to his cars (he has two with two different messages because of how/when he got the cars). But so far I see nothing. But, I did get the Referral $1,000 discount. Does anyone here know when I will or will not see something on the My Tesla Page that says I have Free unlimited Supercharging? It just seems strange that it is not clear. One said it is tied to my VIN. The other gave me a link to their policy page (which I have read).

The person on the video says his says this somewhere on his "My Tesla" or "My Account" page.

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31,2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

I ordered last week with delivery at the end of this month or early next month. I have ask 3 different people at Tesla. Sales, Finance, Deliver and not one can confirm if or where I should see I get Free Supercharging in writing. I did find someone's video where he said it is on his "My Tesla" Page tied to his cars (he has two with two different messages because of how/when he got the cars). But so far I see nothing. But, I did get the Referral $1,000 discount. Does anyone here know when I will or will not see something on the My Tesla Page that says I have Free unlimited Supercharging? It just seems strange that it is not clear. One said it is tied to my VIN. The other gave me a link to their policy page (which I have read).

The person on the video says his says this somewhere on his "My Tesla" or "My Account" page.

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31,2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

It is tied to your VIN. If you have free supercharging, it will have that statement on your MyTesla page.

1. Go to https://auth.tesla.com/login
2. Log into your account
3. You should see your ordered car, click on "Manage"
4. You will be brought to a summary screen showing "Frequently Asked Questions" and Your Vehicle with the model and VIN number. Underneath that will be a statement saying "Supercharging" with the text you have above. There's a slight modification (ie. will not transfer vs will transfer) depending on when you bought the car.

As far as I know all referral codes should be the same and give a $1000 discount + free supercharging, but I'm not 100% certain.

It is tied to your VIN. If you have free supercharging, it will have that statement on your MyTesla page.

1. Go to https://auth.tesla.com/login
2. Log into your account
3. You should see your ordered car, click on "Manage"
4. You will be brought to a summary screen showing "Frequently Asked Questions" and Your Vehicle with the model and VIN number. Underneath that will be a statement saying "Supercharging" with the text you have above. There's a slight modification (ie. will not transfer vs will transfer) depending on when you bought the car.

As far as I know all referral codes should be the same and give a $1000 discount + free supercharging, but I'm not 100% certain.
Thanks. I may just have to wait. They may have changes the web page. There is no "Manage" Button anywhere.
I see below and the View Spec of my Car Purchase which includes the Referral $1,000 discount. Also, it has places to update my Payment Plan, Ownership Details, Preferences, Other Details and Charging Installation.

What's Next?

Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.

Your Vehicle
  • Model S 75D View Spec
  • Your VIN is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Estimated Delivery Range: Late September - October

Both of my referrals showed up the same day as the order was placed, both on the mytesla page as well as the app.

One sale was at the sales center and one was done online. The online one was slightly faster but not by much. I'd follow up and stay on them as it's a bit strange given my experience (both very recent).

Now I'm chasing the elusive 3rd referral for the wheels....