Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral codes scheme - will it end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys

One of the main reason I am thinking to order a Tesla sooner rather than later (plan was to wait Spring 2018) is that I am fearing that Elon will stop the free superchargers with referral code as they increase sales and overall with the launch of the Model 3.

Asked the sales guys and he indicated that possibly referral code bens will be offered till end of 2017.

Have you heard anything similar?

Hello guys

One of the main reason I am thinking to order a Tesla sooner rather than later (plan was to wait Spring 2018) is that I am fearing that Elon will stop the free superchargers with referral code as they increase sales and overall with the launch of the Model 3.

Asked the sales guys and he indicated that possibly referral code bens will be offered till end of 2017.

Have you heard anything similar?

Historically at the end of a current referral programme another one is launched offering the same benefits to new owners. I personally don't see that changing but anything is possible.

There is no question that the current referral code benefits will last through the end of the year. The current terms provide for that. However, this is the first cycle where free supercharging was included. At this point, we don't know whether free supercharging will continue after the end of this year. I would expect that referral codes for Models S and X will continue to provide a financial incentive into the future. But I would expect free supercharging to end - at least until Tesla determines whether it is necessary to sell the Models S and X - in which case perhaps it makes a comeback a la what happened this year.

I would expect no referral discount or free unlimited supercharging for a Model 3 purchase.

Hi,
The T&C's for referral codes says that the model 3 will not count.

Related order must be placed between May 19, "2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards for referrals made between May 19, 2017 and June 15, 2017. Referral order vehicles must be actually delivered to qualify for awards. Used vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible. Limit of 5 referrals per owner. Referral code must be applied at the time of order and cannot be added after the order has been placed. Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership. Referral codes may be shared and applied in any country where Model S and Model X are available, in accordance with local terms and conditions.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was always wondering if they will remove free super charging today when I was reviewing my options....

Does the order with the referral just need to be placed by the end of Dec or does the vehicle need to have arrived?

I might need someone's code if they want a freebie lol

I was always wondering if they will remove free super charging today when I was reviewing my options....

Does the order with the referral just need to be placed by the end of Dec or does the vehicle need to have arrived?

I might need someone's code if they want a freebie lol
It needs to be placed by the end of December.

You're going to be inundated with referral codes. I hope you pick someone who is local to you. (Which is why I'm not sending you mine. :)) Someone local will be best suited to tell you about the local club, upcoming events, answering quick questions. Pick them and make them work for it.

Reactions: Nosken
It needs to be placed by the end of December.

You're going to be inundated with referral codes. I hope you pick someone who is local to you. (Which is why I'm not sending you mine. :)) Someone local will be best suited to tell you about the local club, upcoming events, answering quick questions. Pick them and make them work for it.

Ha ok didnt know that but great that it's the case... I drive a lot of miles (25k+) but will have a supercharger 5 mins from home and 5 mins from our offices soon.... making the leap more affordable!

Ha ok didnt know that but great that it's the case... I drive a lot of miles (25k+) but will have a supercharger 5 mins from home and 5 mins from our offices soon.... making the leap more affordable!
To be clear, it has to be for a Model S or an X. Only clarifying, because some are disappointed to find that it doesn't work when placing a Model 3 reservation.

You've almost talked yourself into it. Keep going! You'll never regret it.

You’ll certainly never regret it, I’ve had mine for 6 months and love every second of drive by it.

I’ve also washed it more in 6 months than all other cars combined in over 30 years of driving.

With Superchargers so close to home and work sounds like you won’t even need a home charging solution, although it is brilliant having a charged car ready to go every morning.

Referral code below should you like to use it.

Enjoy!

making the leap more affordable

I doubt you will want to Supercharge regularly ... even if 10 minutes from home (walking distance might be different !)

Personal choice of course, but my time is more important to me than sitting in the car saving a few quid.

My car does 25K miles p.a. too. My rough calculations suggested that MS would save (compared to Petrol/Diesel) £100 per month for each 10,000 miles p.a. driven - so for 25K miles p.a. that's around £3,000 a year saved. I based that on E7 electricity.

Let's assume you charged 100% at home for 25K miles per annum, drive at at 300 wh/m, and your E7 electricity is around 8p / unit. That's 25000 * 0.3 * £0.08 = £600 total annual "fuel bill" - I expect you will use Superchargers on some long journeys, maybe 10% of that? so if you then charged exclusively at local supercharger you would save £500 a year ... but that would mean sitting at the Supercharger for about 1.5 hours a week too ...

You're going to be inundated with referral codes. I hope you pick someone who is local to you.

I picked the person that gave me the most Info that was helpful - in my case that was Bjorn Nyland :)

An order can be placed for delivery up to 6 months hence. I did that to beat an announced price increase, but wasn't ready to take delivery. In the 6 month wait there was the price increase, and also a number of improvements, all provided at the original price. The battery size I ordered was discontinued, so I had to choose between taking delivery immediately, or up/downgrading the battery size (at original price list). So for anyone buying/replacing a vehicle in X-months might be worth placing the Tesla order well in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Terry_B58
To be clear, it has to be for a Model S or an X. Only clarifying, because some are disappointed to find that it doesn't work when placing a Model 3 reservation.

You've almost talked yourself into it. Keep going! You'll never regret it.
It doesn't take much to talk myself into stuff, just need to balance the books... was thinking of moving first then new car next summer but this potentially changes the timing of it all.

I knew about the model 3 not working with the referrals, I've put a reservation fee down but the free charging makes the S appealing.

I doubt you will want to Supercharge regularly ... even if 10 minutes from home (walking distance might be different !)

Personal choice of course, but my time is more important to me than sitting in the car saving a few quid.

Let's assume you charged 100% at home for 25K miles per annum, drive at at 300 wh/m, and your E7 electricity is around 8p / unit. That's 25000 * 0.3 * £0.08 = £600 total annual "fuel bill"

An order can be placed for delivery up to 6 months hence.

Thanks, I agree that time is more important and unless I'm feeling incredibly stingy I probably wouldn't use the one near home too much. Our offices are about 100 miles from my house and I leave pretty early (5:30) to avoid traffic getting to the office around (7:30) leave it any later and it can become a 3.5 hour journey so normally have time to kill which I spend doing emails. Wondering if I can plan my working day so I do conf calls or emails whilst being charged for free... I have to pass both effectively as well so not even a detour. I also pay 17p per KWh I think.. not 8p.

My master plan was to originally move then get a solar setup and power wall, then the free charging hopefully would be less beneficial but moves not planned till summer, torn now as to whether to jump with car first or move first

Did the monthly cost comparison tool and without doing insurance yet I'm finding it's about breakeven... the service costs have shocked me a bit though at 25k miles it's going to cost almost £70 a month to cover a service ever 12500 miles.

On placing an order up to 6 months in advance, I'm assuming you pay the £4K deposit to secure that... if you change your mind at any point is that non refundable even if they haven't begun manufacture?

Yes pretty much, once you are outside the "cooling off period" which used to be 14 days but maybe 7 now. Best advice would be to read the contract terms very carefully before hitting to go button.

Reactions: RWB82
On placing an order up to 6 months in advance, I'm assuming you pay the £4K deposit to secure that... if you change your mind at any point is that non refundable even if they haven't begun manufacture?
Hi!

For advance orders you can push it out 3 months beyond current delivery slots, not six months from order. It works out to about the same but worth bearing in mind... for example, today you can push an order back to Feb 18.

Your £4000 deposit is lost (if you cancel) once the 7 day period from your order expires, or if you confirm your order sooner.

It looks like you’re sorted for a code but if not feel free to send me a message and you can use mine. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I also pay 17p per KWh I think.. not 8p.

If you are going to charge from home I think it worth looking into getting E7. You have to pay a bit more for daytime, but nighttime is about 50% discount. Hopefully you have PV that takes care of much of daytime use, and using Dishwasher etc. overnight helps to shift some cost to nighttime. Hot Water Immersion too maybe ... even PowerWall charged at Night and discharged during Day, although I'm not convinced by the economics of that, apart from some software features "coming soon" that I'm waiting for, just having power during not infrequent power cuts here would make it worthwhile (I work from home)

Sorry, pressed SAVE accidentally ...

Our offices are about 100 miles from my house

Get employer to install a charging point? Revenues says that "Electricity is not a fuel" (as I understand it) so no monitoring or benefit-in-kind tax to worry about, so Employer ought to see it as a) add to their ECO credentials and b) easy Perk for employees. YMMV (literally!)

But, yeah, you could "work" whilst at Supercharger. I think this is a key benefit of Supercharging - driver needs a break every couple of hours, you don't have to stand-and-pump or queue-to-pay for Supercharger, unlike Petrol-Diesel, so time can be used productively. However, that does not apply to Passenger(s), their journey just gets longer when Charging as they were already at rest!

get a solar setup and power wall, then the free charging

Not sure about "free", you need a lot of powerwall, and roof-PV, to store enough energy to recharge the car ... and in Winter the sun (in UK) has only 10% of the Power compared to mid-Summer :(

it's going to cost almost £70 a month to cover a service ever 12500 miles

Unless T&C's have changed (i.e. re warranty) you may decide you don't need 12,500 mile service. Mine is about to have its first service, I did intend to do it at 12 months, but it slipped to about 14 months, and 27,000 miles. Nothing on dashboard telling me to service yet, and nothing really for service to do other than check everything ...

On placing an order up to 6 months in advance, I'm assuming you pay the £4K deposit to secure that

Yup. It was only £1K when I ordered mine AFAICR - maybe £2K, either way its gone up a lot, sorry about that.