TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Referral | Founder Series Powerwall 2

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by ssq, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ssq

ssq Member

Dear all,

I will soon be eligible for 2 x Tesla Founder series PowerWall 2 in the current referral period ending April 2018. i'd appreciate feedback on the following:
    - I have not see a picture (other than adverts on Tesla.com) of the Founder Series Powerwall 2 - is it red? Is i signed by Elon/JB? Could someone who has these installed via referrals awards share (is there a thread which has some of this info? I did search!)
    - How soon does Tesla ship one out after you become eligible and claim it?
    - Approximately how much does Tesla charge for installation per powerwall?
    - Is there any tax credit I can claim on the installation costs (since the battery is free) - Federal 30%, local (SGIP2 in California)?

Thank you!

2. Shygar

Shygar Member

I think it's red, not sure about signing. I think the referral includes installation. Guessing you can't claim ITC but maybe SGIP (if anyone gets it).

3. ssq

ssq Member

Thanks, still haven't seen a single pic of these founder series powerwall 2. Would be surprised if no one has receurecone yet.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Only the PW 2 award from the very first referral phase are signed. All of them are red. The award includes up to $1000 of installation costs. There's one photo on Facebook of one installed, but nobody else here has had one installed as far as we know. Tesla is saying the first ones should be installed late summer or fall. Tesla is issuing 1099s for the value of each PW award ($5500 each).

• Like x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That is $1000 install costs per Powerwall right?

I assume that the 1099 would include the install costs as well, so it could be up to $6,500 per Powerwall.

• Informative x 1
  6. MP3Mike

With two Powerwalls installation should be free unless you have a really complicated install. But you will have to pay tax on the value. I don't know if you could claim the ITC credit on the federal/state tax owed, but I doubt it.

• Like x 1
  7. ssq

ssq Member

A gentleman posted this picture on Facebook, it's signed. Looks like I shouldn't hold my breath and have any hopes of capturing and using all the summer overproduction this year..

8. ssq

ssq Member

This is the first and only pic I have seen of the Founder Series Powerwall 2.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  9. ssq

ssq Member

Free if 2, care to elaborate please? Some local solar installers who do Tesla batteries state as high as $4500 installation per battery, i.e. $10500 for 1 battery+installation.
    Some are also telling me I need to get my service upgraded to 400Amps for 2 PW2s which is baffling.

10. MP3Mike

They charge much more than Tesla does.

• Informative x 1
  11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Don't know yet, possibly. The cost to install two PWs is not twice the price to install 1 PW.

Also, not sure if the install costs are included as taxable income/1099, I heard they are not included and only the $5500 is.

• Informative x 1
  12. Ormond

Ormond Member

After seeing a photo of three autographed Powerwalls installed today, I sent an angry email to Tesla regarding the referral program ending January 15, 2017. I had earned an autographed red powerwall 2. (I had eight referrals). The last I had heard from Tesla was that deliveries would start in March 2018.

My Tesla lease is up in November, and I'm now questioning my loyalty to Tesla. If I get a reply to my email, I'll update the thread.

• Like x 1
  13. maxiam

maxiam New Member

did anybody really received a 1099 for referral bonus ever from tesla? I believe that tesla needs your SSN in order to send you an 1099.

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You must fill out a W-9 when signing the install contract for the Powerwall.

15. ssq

ssq Member

Update: called Tesla Energy team last week, between then and now a lot has happened, waiting for final design and contract signing now. This is haophappe, it's likely installation will be done by mid March.

16. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I thought it was $2000 per Powerwall for installation .

IMG_0888.PNG

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It is now, but when this thread started, we were it was $1000.

18. Ormond

Ormond Member

Did you have to call them about your referral prize? How?

Do you have to upgrade your service panel?

19. ssq

ssq Member

Yes called them after allowing them a fair share of time, I try to be fair to them knowing they have certain priorities. Generally speaking, I have had tremendous success with Tesla taking care of everything I need (car issues, service, repairs, parts, other referral awards earlier)

I should not need a panel upgrade, the house(hence electrical service/amperage etc) is 2012 made, but we shall see once the design details come in.

• Helpful x 1
  20. ssq

ssq Member

1/24: First call to "escalate" - got a superb inside sales rep, immediately started the process, assigned the electrician in the local market.
    1/25: Completed self survey (shared pictures of install area, meters, breakers, AC etc
    45 emails and about 10-12 phone calls later...
    2/5: Contract signed, Utility permissions granted, permits requested
    2/6: Permit completed. Installation scheduled for the earliest date 3/11.. to be continued.

• Helpful x 1