Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral | Founder Series Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received notifications today, but it seems that it’s my responsibility to get the powerwall installed. Is this normal? I’ve posted most of the email below:

Thank you for being a Tesla ambassador and helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. You have earned a Tesla Founder Series Powerwall through our referral program.

Tesla does not currently have enough installation operations in your area to install your equipment in a timely manner. We can ship the Powerwall unit and Gateway supporting hardware directly to your home at no additional cost. This will require you to take on the system design, installation, and permitting responsibilities. We recommend using licensed electrical contractors to do this work and can support them with install training materials. We will also provide a $1,000 credit towards your installation, which may range from $2,500 - $4,500.
This sucks. I can’t imagine you will find an installer willing to do it for anything close to what Tesla charges. My install is waiting for permit approval by local fire dept. no install date yet. I will be VERY bummed if I get the same email.

I’m still waiting to receive my powerwall from 2017 award. It’s supposed to be an autographed red signature model. Tesla says I have to use a certified installer to get an $1,000 rebate. They recommended an electrical contractor 200 miles away. I somehow doubt that it’s feasible, but am waiting to hear back.

Do you think that Tesla is still shipping autographed Powerwalls? I know that some of the old crew left. I’d settle for Elon, Grimes, and any employee that’s been at Tesla for over 7 years.

I am located in Volusia County, Florida.

I’m still waiting to receive my powerwall from 2017 award. It’s supposed to be an autographed red signature model. Tesla says I have to use a certified installer to get an $1,000 rebate. They recommended an electrical contractor 200 miles away. I somehow doubt that it’s feasible, but am waiting to hear back.

Do you think that Tesla is still shipping autographed Powerwalls? I know that some of the old crew left. I’d settle for Elon, Grimes, and any employee that’s been at Tesla for over 7 years.

I am located in Volusia County, Florida.
I know they were still installing signed Powerwalls in September of 2019. They also can replace signed Powerwalls with signed Powerwalls (or at least they were in Q42019) so it's possible they are still making them or have some signed cases in storage somewhere.

I can’t really answer your questions, but I did want to say that I’m also in Volusia county and I just had Tesla install my 15.12kW solar system and 4 powerwalls. I’m surprised that installation by Tesla isn’t an option for you. They have an install team in Orlando.
Brett,
I don’t know why they only suggested a contractor in Palm Beach. I’ll DM you.
Thanks!

I received this email today as well. I’m not sure what, if anything, I’m going to do with it. No solar, no TOU, $0.07/KWh, and 90% hydro, 10% nuclear power, and we rarely have outages. There just doesn’t seem to be any good reason to waste the resources. Tesla doesn’t install in this area, probably because of those reasons.
I forgot to post this update. I told Tesla to keep it and donate it to someone in Haiti who really needs it. A few people were initially interested, but not willing to pay me enough to make it worth my time and the extra hassle with all the Coronavirus stuff. I deferred it as long as Tesla allowed, and I would like to use it in the future if I ever move, but it just wasn’t meant to be.

Reactions: preilly44
I forgot to post this update. I told Tesla to keep it and donate it to someone in Haiti who really needs it. A few people were initially interested, but not willing to pay me enough to make it worth my time and the extra hassle with all the Coronavirus stuff. I deferred it as long as Tesla allowed, and I would like to use it in the future if I ever move, but it just wasn’t meant to be.
I understand your sentiment 100%, I cannot picture where all the hardware will go, I don’t have solar, I’ll spend lots of money to accommodate the prize, and the Coronavirus. However, we lose power every year. I’ve lost power 5 times this year, and we’ve only had small storms. I’ll probably spend the money.