Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral | Founder Series Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,

I will soon be eligible for 2 x Tesla Founder series PowerWall 2 in the current referral period ending April 2018. i'd appreciate feedback on the following:
- I have not see a picture (other than adverts on Tesla.com) of the Founder Series Powerwall 2 - is it red? Is i signed by Elon/JB? Could someone who has these installed via referrals awards share (is there a thread which has some of this info? I did search!)
- How soon does Tesla ship one out after you become eligible and claim it?
- Approximately how much does Tesla charge for installation per powerwall?
- Is there any tax credit I can claim on the installation costs (since the battery is free) - Federal 30%, local (SGIP2 in California)?

Thank you!

Only the PW 2 award from the very first referral phase are signed. All of them are red. The award includes up to $1000 of installation costs. There's one photo on Facebook of one installed, but nobody else here has had one installed as far as we know. Tesla is saying the first ones should be installed late summer or fall. Tesla is issuing 1099s for the value of each PW award ($5500 each).

Reactions: ssq
- Approximately how much does Tesla charge for installation per powerwall?
- Is there any tax credit I can claim on the installation costs (since the battery is free) - Federal 30%, local (SGIP2 in California)?

With two Powerwalls installation should be free unless you have a really complicated install. But you will have to pay tax on the value. I don't know if you could claim the ITC credit on the federal/state tax owed, but I doubt it.

This is the first and only pic I have seen of the Founder Series Powerwall 2.

29744274_10211658976334480_9207116721810243048_o.jpg

With two Powerwalls installation should be free unless you have a really complicated install. But you will have to pay tax on the value. I don't know if you could claim the ITC credit on the federal/state tax owed, but I doubt it.
Free if 2, care to elaborate please? Some local solar installers who do Tesla batteries state as high as $4500 installation per battery, i.e. $10500 for 1 battery+installation.
Some are also telling me I need to get my service upgraded to 400Amps for 2 PW2s which is baffling.

That is $1000 install costs per Powerwall right?

Don't know yet, possibly. The cost to install two PWs is not twice the price to install 1 PW.

I assume that the 1099 would include the install costs as well, so it could be up to $6,500 per Powerwall.

Also, not sure if the install costs are included as taxable income/1099, I heard they are not included and only the $5500 is.

• Informative
After seeing a photo of three autographed Powerwalls installed today, I sent an angry email to Tesla regarding the referral program ending January 15, 2017. I had earned an autographed red powerwall 2. (I had eight referrals). The last I had heard from Tesla was that deliveries would start in March 2018.

My Tesla lease is up in November, and I'm now questioning my loyalty to Tesla. If I get a reply to my email, I'll update the thread.

Reactions: Foxyboy
Update: called Tesla Energy team last week, between then and now a lot has happened, waiting for final design and contract signing now. This is haophappe, it's likely installation will be done by mid March.

Did you have to call them about your referral prize? How?

Do you have to upgrade your service panel?

Yes called them after allowing them a fair share of time, I try to be fair to them knowing they have certain priorities. Generally speaking, I have had tremendous success with Tesla taking care of everything I need (car issues, service, repairs, parts, other referral awards earlier)

I should not need a panel upgrade, the house(hence electrical service/amperage etc) is 2012 made, but we shall see once the design details come in.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
1/24: First call to "escalate" - got a superb inside sales rep, immediately started the process, assigned the electrician in the local market.
1/25: Completed self survey (shared pictures of install area, meters, breakers, AC etc
45 emails and about 10-12 phone calls later...
2/5: Contract signed, Utility permissions granted, permits requested
2/6: Permit completed. Installation scheduled for the earliest date 3/11.. to be continued.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond