Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral | Founder Series Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been expecting 2 Founders Series Powerwall 2's for referral prizes. I followed up with Tesla Energy recently and they offered me the non-founders series Powerwall 2's. The hardware is the same, but no fancy signed red cover. I told them it was just fine by me. Give me the hardware. So...the process is underway and I'm scheduled for installation on June 11-12.

Everything looks good, except that I'm only receiving $1,000 credit toward my installation costs. I was under the impression that it was up to $2,000 per powerwall, depending on region.

Has anyone here completed an installation of 2 referral powerwalls yet? Can you tell me how much credit you received toward your installation?

Not that it matters for you now, but only the Founders PW2 from the first phase of the referral program (I think it was Phase 5) were the signed ones. Any PW2s after that had the red case, but were unsigned.

That's right. Thanks -- so I would have received 1 - red signed and 1 - red. Eh, I'm still fine with my white powerwalls.

Do you recall what amount of credit you received toward installation for your referral PW?

Three? Nice job! Congrats!

I tried to fast-track my powerwalls last fall when I installed solar but it didn't happen. I ended up going with a different solar installer and ended up just waiting on my powerwalls. I think the way I got moved up was that I made a reservation for a 2nd Powerwall before I earned the 2nd one, so they still had my reservation and I called in to follow up and they were able to bump me up. Let us know how much you get in the way of installation credit for 3 referral powerwalls. I'm eager to find out.

Eh, I'm still fine with my white powerwalls.

Yeah... for me, my Founders Signed Red PowerWall 2 (FSRPW2) sits inside a dark utility room, totally unseen for 99.9999% of the year. :)

Do you recall what amount of credit you received toward installation for your referral PW?

I did get $2000 credit towards the $2400 install fee. But I was in the very first batch of FSRPW2 award winners to be called to set up installation (although that took over a year to complete). So I'm sure Tesla changed the policy since.

I saw the images of your installation on another thread. Very cool stuff. Congrats.

In Oregon, our utility gives credits at 1:1 for excess solar, so powerwall doesn't really add much value beyond having a battery backup for your home. Additionally, if you are on a TOU rate plan plus solar (which makes sense when charging EVs), the excess solar generated at different rate times is tracked separately and credits are applied against your consumption for each rate-period. If at the end of the month, you still have a balance of credits (regardless of when they were generated), they get applied to excess consumption at on-peak first, then mid-peak and finally off-peak, which is really fair. Any remaining credits carry over to the following month, and are applied similarly.

I really don't want my solar credits to be applied to my off-peak consumption. It's far more cost-effective to save those credits for use during winter months during on-peak and mid-peak rates. This concept is referred to as Load Shifting. In Oregon (with Portland General Electric), the balance of credits is reset annually at the end of March. This make sense to allow people to use their credits during the less-sunny months.

After doing a lot of reading and getting clarification from Tesla, it seems with TOU rate plan + solar, the powerwalls cannot be configured (by Tesla) to load shift (in the United States, due to tax reasons). Officially, it's just for onsite backup and to keep my home powered by solar in case of a grid outage, as the powerwalls will be able to power my solar inverters and gateway.

There are some unofficial documented powerwall 2 APIs. I have a sneaking suspicion that with a little coding, it might be possible to enable battery backup mode to charge my powerwalls overnight with off-peak power from grid, and then enable them to discharge during the day as needed, thus allowing me to unofficially load shift. If I cannot figure out how to do this, my powerwalls may end up costing me money during certain times of year.

Based on the information I have found on the comment boards, I have asked Tesla to confirm the powerwall 2 installation credit policy and I was told that it is "up to $2000 depending on region" per installation. In the United States region, that means that we will only get $1000 per powerwall installation, regardless of the number of powerwalls being installed via referral. For those of you that received $2000 or more for your installation credit for referral powerwalls, consider yourselves lucky. Looks like the policy has changed since then. :/

I'm having 2 PW2's installed as referral prizes and Tesla is only offering ONE installation credit of $1k.
Can anyone find a screenshot or proof that eludes to $1k installation credit per powerwall?

ANY HELP WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED! Installation labor is $3,800 ALONE!

Dear all,

I will soon be eligible for 2 x Tesla Founder series PowerWall 2 in the current referral period ending April 2018. i'd appreciate feedback on the following:
- I have not see a picture (other than adverts on Tesla.com) of the Founder Series Powerwall 2 - is it red? Is i signed by Elon/JB? Could someone who has these installed via referrals awards share (is there a thread which has some of this info? I did search!)
- How soon does Tesla ship one out after you become eligible and claim it?
- Approximately how much does Tesla charge for installation per powerwall?
- Is there any tax credit I can claim on the installation costs (since the battery is free) - Federal 30%, local (SGIP2 in California)?

Thank you!

I'm having 2 PW2's installed as referral prizes and Tesla is only offering ONE installation credit of $1k.
Can anyone find a screenshot or proof that eludes to $1k installation credit per powerwall?

They will only give you $1000 toward the install. I live in northern CA and raised the same point about the $2000. They only give you the $1000 and charge you $300 for installing two. My net cost when done was $1400 for side by side floor mount.

Install credit post I did earlier: Beautiful 6 Powerwall Installation
I got $2K, 3PW2s installed.

upload_2019-3-6_16-38-21-png.383756

Hi everyone, can someone help me clarify the referral PW 2 policy? I've had 6 referrals for the March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 program which require 4 referrals for the PW 2. In the May 19, 2017 - Feb 3, 2019 program, I had 8 referrals which require 5 for the PW 2. This should qualify me for two PW 2's, right? I have yet to hear from Tesla... thanks!

Hi everyone, can someone help me clarify the referral PW 2 policy? I've had 6 referrals for the March 16, 2017 - June 15, 2017 program which require 4 referrals for the PW 2. In the May 19, 2017 - Feb 3, 2019 program, I had 8 referrals which require 5 for the PW 2. This should qualify me for two PW 2's, right? I have yet to hear from Tesla... thanks!
Did the Powerwall prizes appear in the app? If so, did you 'claim' them before the deadline?