Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Powerwalls, how should I proceed? Tesla not Delivering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm owed at least 1 if not two founders' powerwalls yet from referral programs. Waiting and waiting deadlines provided by Tesla have come and gone Multiple Times.
Then, earlier this year, around April I believe, A random email from Tesla gave remaining people who did not get referral powerwalls yet, gave us two days to decide if we want the powerwall or credits, and if we took the powerwall option, and Tesla did not deliver within 1 year, that we would forfeit the powerwall, or we could get credits that were worth about 65% of the cost of the package (Roughly $5000 in credits, whereas the retail value of a powerwall is $6500 + $1,100 for supporting hardware = $7600. Also, installation costs up to $3000 I believe were mentioned.
I asked if Tesla would give the retail value in credits. I work hard for my referrals, and so far after 4 won powerwalls they have delivered zero, and already kind of screwed me on the value of the first two.
I was told by the appointed person dealing with this, Thor, he would check. Never heard back, no responses to any emails to either Thor or the referral program email address since then.

I sent my last attempt of email to Thor and Tesla Referral Program on October 17th, 2019, requesting a response by end of day October 31st.

It is now Monday, November 4th.

So, I have a potentially $7,600+ referral prize in limbo, or $7,600+ in Value of Credits in Limbo. Anyone out there have any suggestions on how to proceed? Thinking the next step is to send a certified copy of my letter to Tesla HQ, with another deadline, then what, contact a lawyer and take Tesla to court? Also, Tesla "Changed" the terms of the program after the program had ended. That doesn't sit right with me. Really crappy of them to not even respond to emails to someone who has gotten them multiple millions in sales/referrals. And don't even get me started on the referrals I was cheated out of when the Tesla employees switched my code with codes of people they were getting paid to use.

You could always give them my address.... I promise to take good care of it :cool:
Thats not even the problem at this point. The problem is they don't even respond. Tesla is not currently serving Wisconsin (according to them, despite knowing 4 people now that have installed powerwalls). Tesla won't even ship me just the powerwall and let my own, licensed & qualified solar installer install it in my already set up solar system that is powerwall compatible.
I found a contact form within the my tesla account page on teslas website that had an option for messaging with questions on the referral programs. I had previously asked if I could change the address, and maybe just have it go to someone outside Wisconsin, and they wouldn't let me do that either. very underhanded....

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I have the same issue and have purchased two model Xs in late 2017 and have another Tesla in order since 2015. I have referred over 16 people(12+ under the old referral system) using two different accounts. Although I am supposed to have two PowerWalls sent to me, for nearly two years the Tesla Burbank managers have been trying to get me a resolution on this matter as well as my emails all go without resolution. The last I heard, I’ll be getting my PowerWalls in 2019. Today is the last day of the year and still no one from Tesla has reached out.

I am a Tesla owner (twice), stock owner and enthusiast, but this is getting to be low-level, third-world style customer service. You’d think Tesla would take care of their original customers that supported them in their growth. Not even a call back or email from corporate! Getting fed up here.

Any others out there frustrated with their own referral items not being sent to you?

I have the same issue and have purchased two model Xs in late 2017 and have another Tesla in order since 2015. I have referred over 16 people(12+ under the old referral system) using two different accounts. Although I am supposed to have two PowerWalls sent to me, for nearly two years the Tesla Burbank managers have been trying to get me a resolution on this matter as well as my emails all go without resolution. The last I heard, I’ll be getting my PowerWalls in 2019. Today is the last day of the year and still no one from Tesla has reached out.

I am a Tesla owner (twice), stock owner and enthusiast, but this is getting to be low-level, third-world style customer service. You’d think Tesla would take care of their original customers that supported them in their growth. Not even a call back or email from corporate! Getting fed up here.

Any others out there frustrated with their own referral items not being sent to you?

September 2017 - Notified to redeem my power wall.
February 2018 - Notified they're willing to sell me a power wall and ready to install within weeks! No, sorry not the referral power wall. I'd have to pay for these.
March 2018 - Pinged to asked if I'd like to purchase the power walls. There's supply and they can install. No, I can't change referral credits to purchase the ones in stock.
September 2018 - Notified there's a referral power wall shortage due to Puerto Rico
October 2018 - Offered a solar installation with paid power walls. How many? As many as I'd like to purchase, there is no supply restriction.
February 2019 - Am I still interested in the solar installation? Yes the paid power walls are still available, project can start within 30 days.
September 2019 - Notified there's a supply shortage with referral power walls and they will not be shipping until 2020.

Frustrated? Nah. The next email will probably let me know that the Australian wildfires is causing a shortage.

Thank You, everyone, for the input. Seems posting publically usually does the trick, got a response the day after posting here, as well as subsequent replies are only taking about a day each. Working out details and options now.
Thank You!
-Kman
Hi, can you let us know if your issue is solved and what the solution was? Do you have contact details of the person you solved this with? Im having the same problem and like to solve this. Thank you!!

I was awarded a PW2 from the Jan 2017 referral program and filled out surveys etc. Communication is difficult as the email boxes are no longer being monitored. In any event, they informed me that Tesla did not service my original address in Tahoe. I have subsequently moved to Southern California where I know they do provide service. But still cannot seem to communicate with anyone in the know.

Can anyone help me by providing contact info?

Thanks in advance!

@Sandman1962, when I was awarded my PowerWall the address Tesla used was my Wyoming address. Tesla claims they sent me an email saying my area wasn’t serviced and I would be able to take delivery and install it myself, but I never saw such an email. Fast forward to 2 years later when I asked for an estimate to install solar panels on my home in Nevada. The rep I spoke to said “Do you realize you have a Founders Series PowerWall waiting for you?”. After that the install came relatively quickly even tho I cancelled the solar panels.

Well, I am happy to report I expect delivery of my referral PowerWall as well two additional purchased PW within a couple weeks. I did initiate the conversation (again) by emailing [email protected] . Subsequently, communications have been quite good. I was given the names of certified installers and informed that after installation, I could expect $1000 towards that installation.

The referral PW2 comes with the gateway. The additional poweralls were $6500 each. I will be able to claim the 26% tax credit for purchase and installation this year.

After the install, I can finally put my mind at ease. I will be able to power most of the house and charge the cars when the Zombie apocalypse comes.

I never did get powerwalls. I FINALLY got the credits for 2 this July. Our awesome service center manager went out of his way. Referral team wouldn't even respond to him. Now previously the referral team was adamant I only Won a SINGLE powerwall 2. When in fact I was apparently correct, I got TWO!
He was able to get me $5500 credit per powerwall. He had to go up the chain to corporate. So finally got my credits, but they are in the difficult to access OLD tesla system. He also can't see remaining amount or expiration date, but he can subtract from them until they are gone so we are keeping a running tally. My MX got MCU2 upgrade and some other work done. Going in tuesday for control arm and some other minor repairs, then once MX is done, going to have my MS go in for MCU2, door handles and allignment. I should be nearly out of credits at that point, and will just have him toss charging adapters and CHAdeMO adapters until system says I'm out o credits.

I am happy to report that I received my referral Powerwall 2 and my two purchased Powerwalls. The Founder's edition is red but... no signatures! The two I purchased were also red, so they all match and look very cool. I was expecting the other two to be white, but I am happy to have all three red. Now I am only saying this a bit tongue in cheek and definitely not complaining... but I would have loved the signatures. Elon's signature would be very valuable to me, as this guy is changing the world!

I am running essentially of the electrical grid and a step closer to being ready for the Zombie Apocalypse!