Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral program ending for good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it’s ending for good this time. Sad only needed 1 more referral for next award lol.

Attachments

• B368E3FD-ED00-4DD9-A10F-E669C2466735.jpeg
    B368E3FD-ED00-4DD9-A10F-E669C2466735.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 89
Probably due to it being abused and not really generating new sales by way of referrals. For example, people already planning to buy Teslas were picking up referral codes from total strangers for benefits. Conversely, people were hawking their referral codes to total strangers for benefits.

A lot of referrals got registered in Europe when they released the Model 3. Maybe that was one of the reasons they removed it?

Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program

Look at Europe and especially Germany and compare the count now vs January 1st:

upload_2019-1-17_9-37-59.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
I think the referral program made a lot of sense at the start for early adopters to get something back for taking the risk and spreading the word, but as EVs become more and more mainstream and Tesla as a brand is now well established, the referral program was always on borrowed time.

I wonder if this means Tesla will start to use more conventional advertising in future.

Reactions: nasatech
For purposes of generating buzz and getting new people introduced to the brand, I can certainly see how the referral program has run its course. So here are some other thoughts...

1) I don't necessarily think this is a permanent end to the referral program. It might not come back in its current form, but I would anticipate that Tesla will continue to explore methods to keep its current owners engaged and excited about the brand.

2) I don't see Tesla starting a formal advertising campaign to replace the referral program. Tesla gets enough free press as it is (both positive and negative, yes, but right now the press offers free exposure for news/updates). Tesla/Elon also has adopted social media as a means to engage the public about its brand/offerings. I think they continue to use these platforms rather than print/TV ads or corporate sponsorships, etc.

3) I believe Tesla will continue to offer discounts/incentives to new car buyers, I just don't think that Tesla needs its current owner base to be the one to bring them in the door. Rather, would expect Tesla to continue to share these via its social media platforms and offer them indiscriminately, not just to those that have a "code".

Look at Europe and especially Germany and compare the count now vs January 1st

Looking at those numbers it’s not surprising that it’s being discontinued. I can’t imagine how someone can generate 234 referrals legitimately unless you have an awful lot of well-heeled friends, and the costs to Tesla would be substantial to continue the program. Aside from millions of dollars in free Roadsters, the ongoing cost of providing free supercharging to so many buyers, even if only for 6 months, would certainly add up.

I’ve only been an owner since December, so I’ll end the program with zero referrals, but I can live without a photo of me in space which is about the best I could have hoped for anyway.

Reactions: nasatech
Looking at those numbers it’s not surprising that it’s being discontinued. I can’t imagine how someone can generate 234 referrals legitimately unless you have an awful lot of well-heeled friends, and the costs to Tesla would be substantial to continue the program. Aside from millions of dollars in free Roadsters, the ongoing cost of providing free supercharging to so many buyers, even if only for 6 months, would certainly add up.

I’ve only been an owner since December, so I’ll end the program with zero referrals, but I can live without a photo of me in space which is about the best I could have hoped for anyway.
They could be content creators like Bjorn who probably deserve to be compensated for the free targeted advertising they give to Tesla.

What Tesla should do is bring back the free unlimited SC for S/X P models as another differentiator. Then take the money they saved from the referral program and hire some QC people... :)

Jeff
No free unlimited. It creates irrational actions that cannot be addressed even with unlimited Superchargers. 3-6 months, ok. Lifetime. No way.

IMHO of course.

I have lifetime SC .. and have maybe visited one a handful of times. Worse yet, it's a mile from my office.

So, I may not fit that profile and I do think its a helpful incentive.
I'm the opposite: I've Supercharged more than 266 times and the nearest Supercharger Station is 95 miles from my house. I'm one of the outliers for whom free Supercharging is quite valuable, but I would continue to do my road trips even if it wasn't free.

I'm the opposite: I've Supercharged more than 266 times and the nearest Supercharger Station is 95 miles from my house. I'm one of the outliers for whom free Supercharging is quite valuable, but I would continue to do my road trips even if it wasn't free.
I've only Supercharged 50 times...and have never Supercharged my car at the closest Supercharger which is 20 miles from my house. Ironically, the Supercharger that I've visited the most (10 Supercharges) is over 220 miles away from where I live. The second most common (8 Supercharges) is over 100 miles away. I definitely enjoy the free lifetime Supercharging but still only use it for road trips and don't think that will ever really change.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Ours is a working car, we Uber drive. We have taken literally over 5,000 people for a ride in our Tesla. We have handed out many hundreds of referral cards to people who say they're about to buy one. The Seattle rap who is also a member of the Seattle EV Association has said that they get a minimum of four to six people a day at their office who say they are there because they rode in an Uber Tesla. We have received exactly zero referrals. I'm pretty sure that what other people say is true, the sales people at the Tesla place are using their friend's referral codes when somebody comes in. I think the program is so deeply flawed that they need to do something with it. I do think they need a referral program though.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and 1375mlm