Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral program in VA - Owners Beware.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two referrals that ended up in two MS sales last November (Nov-2017). When I inquired about the reward for these referrals today, below is the response I received from Tesla sales. I think Tesla is purposely misleading owners since the referral program does not mention any omissions in any specific states on its website.

https://www.tesla.com/support/referral-program

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Wissam Saeed wrote:
"
Apologies on the late reply- I had to do a bit of digging for you.

Due to the way salesperson’s laws are set up in Virginia, Tesla is unable to reward Virginia residents with prizes for referrals. Fortunately, this does not affect the list of benefits that the owners you have referred will be able to take advantage of. Regardless, we greatly appreciate all you do to help with the transition to sustainable energy!

Kind regards,
Wissam
"

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca and J__T
It's in there, but this isn't Tesla's fault that your state prohibits this type of program which is unfortunate.

"Must be at least 18 years old to be eligible for awards. Awards are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash. The customer is responsible for all taxes and local requirements and fees. Customers are responsible for their own travel and accommodations unless otherwise specified. Program and awards are conditional on and subject to local laws and regulations. Unfortunately, Ohio and Virginia residents are not eligible for awards."

• Informative
Reactions: J__T and dhrivnak
I have two referrals that ended up in two MS sales last November (Nov-2017). When I inquired about the reward for these referrals today, below is the response I received from Tesla sales. I think Tesla is purposely misleading owners since the referral program does not mention any omissions in any specific states on its website.

https://www.tesla.com/support/referral-program

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Wissam Saeed wrote:
"
Apologies on the late reply- I had to do a bit of digging for you.

Due to the way salesperson’s laws are set up in Virginia, Tesla is unable to reward Virginia residents with prizes for referrals. Fortunately, this does not affect the list of benefits that the owners you have referred will be able to take advantage of. Regardless, we greatly appreciate all you do to help with the transition to sustainable energy!

Kind regards,
Wissam
"
You should be able to use someone elses referral and have that person give you the rewards. If I didn’t live so far away I would say use mine. Sad that you can’t collect.

Shouldn't this be challenged? I'm not a lawyer but reading this, seems like a car owner does not qualify as part of the requirement....

"
Who is considered to be a “Salesperson”?
photo5.jpg
Virginia Code Section 46.2-1500 defines “Motor vehicle salesperson" or "salesperson" as (i) any person who is hired as an employee by a motor vehicle dealer to sell or exchange motor vehicles and who receives or expects to receive a commission, fee, or any other consideration from the dealer; (ii) any person who supervises salespersons employed by a motor vehicle dealer, whether compensated by salary or by commission; (iii) any person, compensated by salary or commission by a motor vehicle dealer, who negotiates with or induces a customer to enter into a security agreement on behalf of a dealer; or (iv) any person who is licensed as a motor vehicle dealer and who sells or exchanges motor vehicles. For the purposes of this section, any person who is an independent contractor as defined by the United States internal revenue code shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle salesperson.

This includes, but is not limited to:

• Any person who is employed by a licensed Virginia dealership to sell or exchange motor vehicles and is NOT an Independent Contractor
  • Any person who negotiates with or induces a customer into a security agreement on behalf of a dealer
  • Any person who supervises a salesperson
  • Any person who is licensed as a motor vehicle dealer (owner of record) and is actively involved in selling motor vehicles

Finance & Insurance (F&I) Employees and Sales Managers Must Be Licensed
Legislation adopted by the 2006 General Assembly broadened the definition of a motor vehicle salesperson to include those functions performed by sales managers and dealer employees who are in the Finance and Insurance (“F&I”) side of the automobile sales industry. Anyone who performs the functions described in the definition above must have a salesperson’s license. Regardless of the working title an individual has, if they fit the definition, they must have a salesperson’s license.

Not clear on this: I live in VA and bought MY via referral link. I am not the referrer - I am the referred customer. Will I receive the 1000 SC miles? I do not see them anywhere as of yet, but it's been only a day since I took delivery.