Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Program Madness

How do you feel about people on forums and online asking you to use their referral code?

• Righteous: How dare you! It's only be given in a committed monogomous relationship.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Ashamed: I feel dirty and used when I offer my code, and often Elon never calls the next day.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Competitive: I'll get to the next secret level! and I'll cut you with my tesla prison shiv!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Paranoid: Shhhh! I'm being watched by the CIA to see if my referrals codes legitimate.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entitled: I, alone, deserve a free roadster...

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Elitist: I won't stoop to the that level... that is sooooo like a non-founder edition owner.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other: Write in your reply

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can't distribute your code, how are you supposed to get referrals?

Actually help a future owner out and create a relationship where they ask for your code. This code whoring is really annoying. All these people hand out codes and then their referrals come on forums and ask stupid questions instead of asking their referral source and then these whores turn around and sell their referral items for profit.

Actually help a future owner out and create a relationship where they ask for your code. This code whoring is really annoying. All these people hand out codes and then their referrals come on forums and ask stupid questions instead of asking their referral source and then these whores turn around and sell their referral items for profit.
This. Referrals should be as a result of helping people and being available for future questions, also.

I've spent sooooo much time talking to people over the past 4 1/2 years about Tesla cars that have bought S's or waited for an X before all of the referral crap started. I don't think I have ever mentioned the referral program to anyone and 'sold' a bunch of S' in '13 and '14 and last year talked a lot of people into placing Model 3 orders. I think it is probably a neat program but the big question I always get is if I have had any problems with my car...it is a '12 that has had most every problem I have ever heard about, how am I supposed to sell that? Most things have been taken care of and I have been given loaners for many service trips and flat bed tow trips for a few but the amount of time involved in all of the other service trips really sucks, 250 mi trip each way! A noisy front motor is about the only thing I haven't experienced. And no touch screen issues...except little bubbles from my last service (car wash cleaning the screen maybe, wtf?) Honestly Tesla has done a great job in trying to fix things and taking care of many of the early issues and that is one of the points I make when talking about my car & last week I convinced someone to get a used '12 or '13 CPO P85 from Tesla.
I love my car and still plan on keeping it forever but it is hard to talk about cars (the current versions) that really I don't have any experience with.
I have met quite a few people in the past that thanked me for buying an early car so the issues were ironed out and making it possible for them to get a new S that is more dialed in. Sadly that is probably the only referral credit I will ever get.

I've spent sooooo much time talking to people over the past 4 1/2 years about Tesla cars that have bought S's or waited for an X before all of the referral crap started. I don't think I have ever mentioned the referral program to anyone and 'sold' a bunch of S' in '13 and '14 and last year talked a lot of people into placing Model 3 orders. I think it is probably a neat program but the big question I always get is if I have had any problems with my car...it is a '12 that has had most every problem I have ever heard about, how am I supposed to sell that? Most things have been taken care of and I have been given loaners for many service trips and flat bed tow trips for a few but the amount of time involved in all of the other service trips really sucks, 250 mi trip each way! A noisy front motor is about the only thing I haven't experienced. And no touch screen issues...except little bubbles from my last service (car wash cleaning the screen maybe, wtf?) Honestly Tesla has done a great job in trying to fix things and taking care of many of the early issues and that is one of the points I make when talking about my car & last week I convinced someone to get a used '12 or '13 CPO P85 from Tesla.
I love my car and still plan on keeping it forever but it is hard to talk about cars (the current versions) that really I don't have any experience with.
I have met quite a few people in the past that thanked me for buying an early car so the issues were ironed out and making it possible for them to get a new S that is more dialed in. Sadly that is probably the only referral credit I will ever get.
I have no doubt you've sold many cars for Tesla, Z. :) Before I had the X, I had my Roadster for a number of years. I'm still getting referrals from people who stopped me when I had the Roadster, wanting to talk about 'where to charge' and 'what about roadtrips'.

If you sold a CPO for Tesla, you shouldn't be shy about handing out your referral code. YOU sold it. And you're giving them $1000 off and free supercharging when they use your code. I always tell my referrals that I also receive something. One, a friend of a sister, said 'Oh thank god, then I won't feel so guilty over all the questions I keep asking!'.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I didn't know you could use referrals for CPOs? that's nice
& I'd imagine it would be easier and I would be more into giving someone a referral code if I had a cell phone maybe...not sure I'd want to write down the code on a piece of paper to hand out...laugh out loud ;>
Yep, works for CPOs. They just don't get the federal tax credit since it's not a new car.

I do have some printouts of my code and contact info in the glovebox. It's handy to give people after talking in a parking lot. I always tell them to be sure to reach out to discuss options, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I didn't know you could use referrals for CPOs? that's nice
& I'd imagine it would be easier and I would be more into giving someone a referral code if I had a cell phone maybe...not sure I'd want to write down the code on a piece of paper to hand out...laugh out loud ;>

CPO's are not eligible.

"Limits
Related order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards between May 19, 2017 and June 15, 2017. Referral order vehicles must be actually delivered to qualify for awards. Pre-owned vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible."

Also since this is the first time I've looked this in a while it looks like it is a $1400 credit now, at least that is what it shows on my page.

"Starting May 19, 2017, Tesla owners can give five friends free unlimited Supercharging and a $1,400 credit toward a new Model S or Model X with their personal referral code."

...I do have some printouts of my code and contact info in the glovebox. It's handy to give people after talking in a parking lot. I always tell them to be sure to reach out to discuss options, etc.

What!? I need printer too!!! what is this world coming to?
Why can't I use my type writer? Oh, because there is no @ key!
ah ha, no @ in the code, yay! thyme to get typing

Last edited:

Exactly. The intent is that you show your vehicle, talk to them about it, convey the positives and limitations, and help them to join the revolution. It's not that you should shamelessly slap your code on a post and hope that somebody picks it up. That seems a bit juvenile.

Reactions: croman
This code whoring is really annoying. All these people hand out codes and then their referrals come on forums and ask stupid questions instead of asking their referral source and then these whores turn around and sell their referral items for profit.
I've made this comment directly to Tesla already but, for me, the referral program is about having something fun to offer YouTube/Social Media followers and, as a result, gaining access to Tesla events/experiences which can then be shared with the people who made access possible. I don't need or want more stuff and think that Tesla should just pull all material/merch prizes from the program entirely. Heck, at present, I'm going to end up with two of those Model S for kids things... current plan is to donate them both to charity.

I don't have some huge wealthy social group or whatever to pitch Tesla to--just the people I interact with online, the people I spend hours with each week answering questions via Twitter DMs, FB Messenger requests, and other venues. Regardless, I pulled my code down from my YouTube videos and social media stuff because that's what was asked of us. Doesn't change anything about what I'm doing, it just limits my access to special tours/events.