TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Referral Program Questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by alapd, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alapd

alapd Member

Quick question about the referral program, especially with overlapping periods this round.

1) how exactly does it work? If I get 3 referrals, do I only get the Powerwall currently, or do I get for items 1, 2, and 3 as they are achieved? Mainly, 2 referrals don't matter to me, the solar roof token means nothing to me. But I'd love the kids car, and a powerwall. So id rather stay at 1 than go to 2 without assuring 3.

2) typically when do prizes get paid out? Only after the program is over, or as they are achieved ?

3) what referral prizes do you want to see in the future? I feel some of the prizes don't really match the achievement. Invite to semi-truck event after 5 referrals, on my dime? I love Tesla but I'll take the powerwall and watch online any day.

2. tpham07

tpham07 Member

powerwall is 4 referrals i think, 3 referrals is the 21 inch arachnid wheels. You can always "gift" your solar roof token to someone who wants it and im sure they'll "thank you" greatly.

you get the items once the referral owner takes delivery. So 3 referrals, you'll get the mini tesla, roof token, 21 inch wheels.

Also each referral enters you into a drawing for a P100D X or S im pretty sure. Once you hit 5, you're maxed out AFAIK for the current program. Which might be a good thing because maybe other non-famous non-youtubers can get a chance at a referral.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Navsarin

Navsarin SP100D

I maxed out at 5 but now have a 6th! Does that count for anything? Anyone previously go over the limit and was there any further incentive? Other than helping carbon emissions

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

You should be unlocking Secret Level 1 soon. Additional referrals earn you a discount or even a free next gen Roadster. You can also earn unforgettable experiences that money cart buy. See the official Referral Program thread: Tesla Referral Program

5. msmetzger

msmetzger Member

Just curious, How do you guys get y'all referral codes to be used?

6. alapd

alapd Member

I had a friend who was looking to buy. Spent a lot of time showing him my car and talking to him. He just purchased this week. I know many people that do YouTube videos and stuff.

About how long after delivery does it take to get a reward?

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Once you have a confirmed order for an S or X, it's in your My Tesla page. Confirmed meaning after three days in the US and a week elsewhere, I believe is the current timing.

And you have one, so you know that.... :). So, that can't be the question.

8. msmetzger

msmetzger Member

Maybe my question wasn't as clear as I wold have liked.. I should have done a better job asking it. I think I was trying to figure-out where do y'all post your codes so that it can be used by folks trying to buy Model S or X?

9. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

You give it to friends. People used to post them on here and on threads on Forums but Tesla put an end to it. Now you have to organically build referrals through people you know. These cars sell themselves so basically be an evangelist.

• Like x 3
  10. joeblau

joeblau Member

A side note on the 3rd referral. We have a Model X and it turns out that Model X owners get 22 inch black Turbine rims, not the 21 inch Arachnids.

• Informative x 1
  11. Navsarin

Navsarin SP100D

How long after delivery of the referrals do the rims actually arrive? Anyone with prior winnings...I'd appreciate some info thx!

And I wonder if requested...could they ship 22" black turbines for an S

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I was just wondering the same thing! That would look awesome.

In terms of when the rims arrive, get used to waiting! Although they seem to be getting better/more organized with referral award deliveries... especially since the rims in the latest round are only available in silver.

13. joeblau

joeblau Member

I'll let you know when they come in. My timeline right now is as follows:
    - Aug 8th - Referral was recorded in Tesla App
    - Aug 23rd - Vehicle delivered referral
    - Aug 27th - Confirmation email of delivery with details of rims

Now we're just waiting to hear from the local distributor when they arrive.

• Like x 1
  14. drklain

drklain Member

No rush for you Joe...they are sending out the prizes right now for the program which ended 15 January.... For referrals/deliveries taking place, now, you can expect to get your prizes sometime early next year...

15. joeblau

joeblau Member

Oh that's perfect. I know the radio flyer car is already queued up, but I can honestly wait a year or more for the rest of the stuff :).

16. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Is the referral prize considered taxable income? I have 3 referrals and considering selling the 21" wheels but if there is a tax liability on the list price then that would
    impact my asking price for sure.

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It most certainly is. Whether or not Tesla will send out 1099s, and for how much, is anyone's guess.

• Informative x 1
  18. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Hank, do you know if Tesla has sent out 1099s in the past for the prior versions of the referral program?

19. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

No.No 1099 on prior referral program awards I received.

• Funny x 1
  20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Considering almost all of the referral prize awards were shipped out or received in 2017, you won't get those 1099s until next year. I don't think any prizes of any real value were distributed in 2016 (although the referrals and levels were from 2016 program phases).