Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Program Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking back, not including the very first round in 2015 where the referral award was $1000 service credit, the first round with actual prizes of value was from May-July 2016 -- and those prizes were the Arachnid wheels, a jacket, and a Tesla bag. Those were definitely not shipped until this year.

Reactions: JPUConn
Looking back, not including the very first round in 2015 where the referral award was $1000 service credit, the first round with actual prizes of value was from May-July 2016 -- and those prizes were the Arachnid wheels, a jacket, and a Tesla bag. Those were definitely not shipped until this year.
$1000 service credit is the same as an award. They did not send out 1099's.

$1000 service credit is the same as an award. They did not send out 1099's.

That's why I said "not including".. but as a service credit or discount off a new car, which is how it was pitched, and had "no cash value" and the value expired at the end of 2016 -- might not count as a taxable cash prize. And even if it did, it was two years ago and the very first round of the referral program where Tesla didn't even know their awards were totally illegal in Ohio and Virginia -- doesn't surprise me they didn't have their act together enough to even know that they had to send out 1099s.

Two years later and hundreds of thousands of dollars of referral prizes given out is a completely different story. Just because they didn't send out 1099s back then has absolutely no bearing on what they will do this year.

No rush for you Joe...they are sending out the prizes right now for the program which ended 15 January.... For referrals/deliveries taking place, now, you can expect to get your prizes sometime early next year...

I just received the email to redeem the 22 inch turbines. Looks like they Tesla is moving quicker to redeem prizes now.

Now black, or silver?

That's why I said "not including".. but as a service credit or discount off a new car, which is how it was pitched, and had "no cash value" and the value expired at the end of 2016 -- might not count as a taxable cash prize. And even if it did, it was two years ago and the very first round of the referral program where Tesla didn't even know their awards were totally illegal in Ohio and Virginia -- doesn't surprise me they didn't have their act together enough to even know that they had to send out 1099s.

Two years later and hundreds of thousands of dollars of referral prizes given out is a completely different story. Just because they didn't send out 1099s back then has absolutely no bearing on what they will do this year.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a company need one's social security number to issue a 1099? I have my own business and unless my accountant doesn't know what he's doing (and he's very good), I need to get people's social security numbers to issue them 1099s, where applicable. I haven't received a request from Tesla asking for my tax ID number (3 delivered referrals), but maybe others have?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a company need one's social security number to issue a 1099? I have my own business and unless my accountant doesn't know what he's doing (and he's very good), I need to get people's social security numbers to issue them 1099s, where applicable. I haven't received a request from Tesla asking for my tax ID number (3 delivered referrals), but maybe others have?

Yes, 100% correct. If Tesla wants to send out 1099s, they'll ask for W-9s from us. If they don't ask for W-9s, well then, it's up to you to declare the income on your own tax return. On the Tesla side, I think if they try to write-down the referral prizes as a deduction (maybe they won't?), then they would need to send out 1099s for that. I am not an accountant or lawyer, YMMV.

I ordered my Tesla using a friend's referral who spent about 2 hours one day just showing me the car, answering questions, letting me drive it and showing me features. I hope to do the same soon. I think just showing folks what it's all about is a great way to get referrals.

We got the mini Model S in about 1 month, pretty quick. We received emails for the Power Wall & Wheels but it's been ~ 6 weeks and no news. For the Wheels, they did send a 2nd email asking about a service center for installation. I was bummed they didn't offer color selection as I'm hearing it's just silver/chrome now. Was really looking forward to the grey/black. Power Wall install says March 2018 installation.

Aug 24th you got your referral confirmation for the rims. Did you get them installed yet?

I got my confirmation Dec 15th so wondering when I will finally get mine.

I have not had the rims installed yet. The weather where I live has been terrible this winter so we don't really want to damage them. We're going to put them on in the spring and probably keep them on until next winter.

I just checked my email and we got a letter from our local Tesla dealer on November 2nd 2017 to head to the dealership and pick them up. We didn't actually pick them up until mid November.

They owe me two sets of rims. I have e-mailed them 5 times already with some responses, but they have since gone silent. I am going to have to escalate things soon I think. Tesla needs to take this referral program as seriously as we do.