Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Supercharger Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is curious, I asked Tesla if, due to the pandemic, they were extending supercharger miles received when ordering through a referral link. See below for their response:

Thank you for contacting the Tesla Referral Program regarding your supercharging miles. I am sorry to hear you may not be able to use your free supercharging miles. Referral miles and their expiration date are displayed in your Loot Box, and unused miles are removed upon expiration. Please understand we will not be offering any individual extensions to ensure all owners utilizing the Referral Program have a consistent experience

If anyone is curious, I asked Tesla if, due to the pandemic, they were extending supercharger miles received when ordering through a referral link. See below for their response:
They offered a ~1 or 2 month extension back in April timeframe, but Musk is pretty “over” the stay at home orders, so don’t expect any sympathy from that.

You’re still allowed to go out and drive, just not to visit people. You could still hit the mountains, coast, or a national or state park. Go for a couple pretty drives and use up from free electricity.

I certainly recognize I can take a road trip but figured it would not hurt to ask if they were doing anything. This may be unpopular to many to admit but using the pandemic to take advantage of various benefits that companies with exceptional customer service (e.g. Amex, Delta, and others) provide has generally worked when asked. I am fine with being “that guy.” I figured I would post in case others that have received referral bonus were curious, though I admit I did not do a cursory search to see if there were other threads on this topic.

I certainly recognize I can take a road trip but figured it would not hurt to ask if they were doing anything. This may be unpopular to many to admit but using the pandemic to take advantage of various benefits that companies with exceptional customer service (e.g. Amex, Delta, and others) provide has generally worked when asked. I am fine with being “that guy.” I figured I would post in case others that have received referral bonus were curious, though I admit I did not do a cursory search to see if there were other threads on this topic.

Ya, it’s come up every couple weeks since April or so. I’m loving the other perks from credit card companies. While I would have loved a trip, I ended up liquidating all my Chase Sapphire Reserve points for bill credits since they were allowing the same 1.5c/point for select spending. I also love the Amex platinum cell phone and streaming credits! In both cases I had used the travel credits early January though... we’ll see this time around if I’m stuck not being able to burn the credits how I feel :p [Though I’m hoping Chase extends their travel credit can be used for other things]

If there happens to be a problem of the miles being lost, then Tesla needs to do the right thing and just extend the program. Do a year and be over with it. So stupid they do this. What do they win?

Having worked for large public companies, it’s carried as a liability account similar to a warranty liability. In other words, it hurts shareholder value. That’s why there is an expiration date. They don’t want it on their books indefinitely.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
New Tesla owner here. I was wondering the same question but in my case there is no Tesla supercharger in Hawaii. Some say.... maybe a Supercharger will be online in 2021 or 2022. Wanted to ask them if they can extend my miles for another year? It will currently expire in 7/21

New Tesla owner here. I was wondering the same question but in my case there is no Tesla supercharger in Hawaii. Some say.... maybe a Supercharger will be online in 2021 or 2022. Wanted to ask them if they can extend my miles for another year? It will currently expire in 7/21
should be a way to sell them back to the company or transfer them to a friend.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I asked the same question and got the same response. Looking at about ⅓ of the free miles expiring because at least one winter road trip didn't materialize due to COVID. Tesla doesn't exactly make it crystal clear that the 1,000 miles are only good for six months, but it's also not a huge sum of money, so I'm not losing sleep over it.