Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral time limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like it would be 12 months in this example since it says “extend”

But honestly, the entire referral system could use a revamp. Not the bonuses but the actual structure and communication of expiration dates, when to expect miles to show up (I have successful deliveries where miles take weeks to show up and sometimes not at all)

Even a notification of when someone uses your code would be nice! Or a notification of how many miles was added and how many miles will expire on XYZ date.

For example if you get 5K miles today. And use 3K of them in the next 6 months. But then refer someone else during that time and get 5K more miles. Is it 8K total miles that now expires 6 months later? Or does that only apply to the new 5K...

Now I’m just confusing myself lol

I put out my Referral code when the 5,000 free supercharging miles, for both the new buyer and owner, was running (I think this special ran through May 28th). I didn’t receive any notice that a new buyer used my Referral code, BUT when I checked my Tesla account today, I saw ‘1’ Delivery based on my referral code, dated May 6, 2019. Will have to contact Tesla’s referral code program office, but does this mean that my free 5,000 super charging is now in effect? Or I have to verify?

Also, if you refer yourself for a second car, do you only get 6mo for the miles, or 1 year? Technically you're getting 2 referrals (ie one is the purchaser and one is the referral, but they're going to the same account). Also with the supercharger boost, wouldn't it make more sense to sell the deal as unlimited supercharging for 6 mo? Who is going to use that many miles of supercharging??

Just to add more confusion to the discussion-- I got 1k miles free supercharger for a referral before the 5k promotion started. I asked the referral program when the 1k miles would expire and they said 3 years after the miles are added! Is this another case of Tesla employee not knowing what they were doing?

• Disagree
Reactions: phigment
Just to add more confusion to the discussion-- I got 1k miles free supercharger for a referral before the 5k promotion started. I asked the referral program when the 1k miles would expire and they said 3 years after the miles are added! Is this another case of Tesla employee not knowing what they were doing?

The old 1000 miles do indeed expire after 3 years. It was a different promo.

Also, if you refer yourself for a second car, do you only get 6mo for the miles, or 1 year?

I came here wondering the same thing! I did refer myself, but I haven't taken delivery yet. I'm hoping for stacking where I get 10k miles and 1 yr for a self referral because I've got a bunch of trips coming up in the beginning of 2020, but nothing in the next 6 months. I'll let you know when I take delivery if someone else hasn't figured it out before then.

Well I’ve got my second car coming in a few weeks (June 12th), so if I’ve got an answer before you do, I’ll try and remember to come back here.

Also is there a way to request the old deal? I’d rather 5x less miles and 6x more time to use them. I guess if the program reverts as of May 28th, then we will know what the new version of the referral gets you. I’d honestly rather 2000mi (or 3000km) to use over 3 years than 10000mi or 15000km to use over 6-12 mo.

I have a M3 referral and a M3 self referral that all happened within the last week and added to my account. The question is if these 15,000 miles expire in 6, 12, or 18 months in 5,000 mile increments? Or should I treat it like free money in Vegas thats about to expire, and blow it all on a 15,000 mile road trip across the US in the next 6 months? There is no wrong answer with "Free miles" but the referral program is like cash flow and I would like to know if there is such thing as cascading 6 month increments with each referral.

Attachments

• 833A512D-FBEF-47AC-8D28-3215E78FC6F5.png
    833A512D-FBEF-47AC-8D28-3215E78FC6F5.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
Basically does it refresh your expiration date by six months, or does it start a new six month clock?

Also, if you refer yourself for a second car, do you only get 6mo for the miles, or 1 year?

The question is if these 15,000 miles expire in 6, 12, or 18 months in 5,000 mile increments?

So I e-mailed their referral program support, and e-mailed them again, and again... Finally 3 weeks later someone responded. I referred myself (So 6 + 6 mo) and a friend ( +6 mo ). See attached photo:

referral.PNG

So to answer the burning question, according to the referral program e-mail themselves, you will get 12 months for a self referral under that previous program and +6 on top for every friend you referred

I am on my second Model 3 because I upgraded, but to make a long story short, the miles are against the account not the car. I had 1,100 miles, the first two were 5,000 each and the last was 1,100 referral miles. I have six months from the date I got the miles to use them, then the second 5,000 miles begin for another six months, etc. This is the information I received from the referral program when I was purchasing my second Model 3, Tesla did a buy back on the first. It is working, just finished 1,600 miles and will be on a 1,200 mile round trip to Sonoma in a couple of weeks, then about 900 to Las Vegas in November, got use the free miles. Enjoying my TESLA.

So I e-mailed their referral program support, and e-mailed them again, and again... Finally 3 weeks later someone responded. I referred myself (So 6 + 6 mo) and a friend ( +6 mo ). See attached photo:

View attachment 423918

So to answer the burning question, according to the referral program e-mail themselves, you will get 12 months for a self referral under that previous program and +6 on top for every friend you referred
Wow, how did you get a reply from it? I never got an useful reply about referral program.