Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referrals and Powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

Anyone of you guys got a referral Powerwall awarded recently? Or rather installed? If so, can you help answer:

1. Did they give you a Red or a White one?
2. What city was the install in?
3. Do we know or do we get a choice for getting a Red or a White one?
4. How long does it take from award to install?
5. Is a referral counted if someone places a Solar order? Or if they get PTO'd on their order?
6. Your approximate cost of install on an awarded wall if you already had the panels?

Appreciate your help and input!

The issue you have with this is, the the program to earn a referral powerwall ended a LONG time ago. They are basically filling stragglers at this point.

I believe I have read here that some people were offered a white powerwall when the red ones were out of stock, but I didnt hear of people "choosing" a white one, but If thats what you want, it would likely be easier to fulfill (white vs red).

I believe you might be asking the time period from "powerwall request of previously earned referral award, to shipment of said award, to install", since the ability to earn a powerwall under the referral system has been gone for quite some time. I got 10 car referrals between november 2018 to january 2019 and it was not a part of that program, for example.

Approximate cost of install would be all over the map, since each of these installs is a construction project. Still, with saying that, I believe the amount of install credit given with the referral award is $1,000 and the balance of any install would be on the person getting the install. @bkp_duke would likely know that last fact better since If i remember correctly, his last PW install was a referral with a conversation with tesla about install costs that he had to lobby for.

Install costs are going to be all over the map. Recently, Tesla has not been giving any install costs if the PW was transferred to you (i.e. you didn't win it, someone else did and gave it or sold it to you).

There are also tax implications that are all over the map (I had to sign a W4 which means Tesla likely will report the value of the PW2 as income, some other people haven't had that).

Last I heard, Tesla had been just shipping the PW+GW to people and letting them coordinate their own setup. Not sure if that is the case. It's been a few months since I had my referral one installed, and it was a complete 1-off situation.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The issue you have with this is, the the program to earn a referral powerwall ended a LONG time ago. They are basically filling stragglers at this point.

I believe I have read here that some people were offered a white powerwall when the red ones were out of stock, but I didnt hear of people "choosing" a white one, but If thats what you want, it would likely be easier to fulfill (white vs red).

I believe you might be asking the time period from "powerwall request of previously earned referral award, to shipment of said award, to install", since the ability to earn a powerwall under the referral system has been gone for quite some time. I got 10 car referrals between november 2018 to january 2019 and it was not a part of that program, for example.

Approximate cost of install would be all over the map, since each of these installs is a construction project. Still, with saying that, I believe the amount of install credit given with the referral award is $1,000 and the balance of any install would be on the person getting the install. @bkp_duke would likely know that last fact better since If i remember correctly, his last PW install was a referral with a conversation with tesla about install costs that he had to lobby for.

I don't follow what you're saying, friend? The referral program is still active, as far as I can tell... My goal would be to get a Red Powerwall. Otherwise you can buy one too. The Tesla installers sounded like the Red ones are no longer available, so was trying to understand what people's experience here is... Whether they automatically get the White ones or does Tesla call them before sending it? Can you choose to wait for a Red one?

Then of course comes the install cost.

Does anyone also know of a referral counts only if a successful install happens or a mere order gets you the credit?

Install costs are going to be all over the map. Recently, Tesla has not been giving any install costs if the PW was transferred to you (i.e. you didn't win it, someone else did and gave it or sold it to you).

There are also tax implications that are all over the map (I had to sign a W4 which means Tesla likely will report the value of the PW2 as income, some other people haven't had that).

Last I heard, Tesla had been just shipping the PW+GW to people and letting them coordinate their own setup. Not sure if that is the case. It's been a few months since I had my referral one installed, and it was a complete 1-off situation.

Thank you for sharing your experience bud. Once you get to 10 referrals, how does it work? Tesla just ships the Powerwall and a Gateway 2 to the winner? Also do you know if a successful referral is an order from someone or only if they install?

Thank you for all your time and knowledge!

I don't follow what you're saying, friend? The referral program is still active, as far as I can tell... My goal would be to get a Red Powerwall. Otherwise you can buy one too. The Tesla installers sounded like the Red ones are no longer available, so was trying to understand what people's experience here is... Whether they automatically get the White ones or does Tesla call them before sending it? Can you choose to wait for a Red one?

Does anyone also know of a referral counts only if a successful install happens or a mere order gets you the credit?

Thank you for sharing your experience bud. Once you get to 10 referrals, how does it work? Tesla just ships the Powerwall and a Gateway 2 to the winner? Also do you know if a successful referral is an order from someone or only if they install?

What current referral program are you talking about that gives a free powerwall? The powerwalls people are getting now are ones they earned in the previous programs, years ago now, unless I am missing something?

EDIT: The referral program now is:

Solar
Anyone using your referral link can earn a $100 award after system activation for solar panels or Solar Roof to reduce reliance on the grid and produce clean solar energy. You will earn a $400 award for each solar referral. Additionally, you will earn one Powerwall for 10 or more solar referrals, limited to one award.

Cars
You and anyone using your referral link can each earn 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the purchase of a new Tesla car — designed to be some of the safest cars on the road. Each car referral also gives you a chance to win a Model Y monthly or Roadster supercar quarterly. Owners who already have free Supercharging get two chances to win.

You will find people still selling referral powerwalls because they earned then years ago but havent gotten them from tesla yet. That number is getting smaller and smaller ( of people who earned referral powerwalls years ago but havent taken delivery yet), so finding out what teslas current program on that might be difficult. Since you cant earn one now, you wont be getting to choose anything, though, if thats the question.

Last edited:

The referral program for powerwalls was over, literally, years ago. There is no way to get one now.

What current referral program are you talking about that gives a free powerwall? The powerwalls people are getting now are ones they earned in the previous programs, years ago now, unless I am missing something?

EDIT: The referral program now is:

Solar
Anyone using your referral link can earn a $100 award after system activation for solar panels or Solar Roof to reduce reliance on the grid and produce clean solar energy. You will earn a $400 award for each solar referral. Additionally, you will earn one Powerwall for 10 or more solar referrals, limited to one award.

Cars
You and anyone using your referral link can each earn 1,000 miles of free Supercharging with the purchase of a new Tesla car — designed to be some of the safest cars on the road. Each car referral also gives you a chance to win a Model Y monthly or Roadster supercar quarterly. Owners who already have free Supercharging get two chances to win.

You will find people still selling referral powerwalls because they earned then years ago but havent gotten them from tesla yet. That number is getting smaller and smaller ( of people who earned referral powerwalls years ago but havent taken delivery yet), so finding out what teslas current program on that might be difficult. Since you cant earn one now, you wont be getting to choose anything, though, if thats the question.

The referral program for powerwalls was over, literally, years ago. There is no way to get one now.

How do you read the last line you guys pasted here guys? Is that not a referral based award of a Powerwall?

"Solar
Anyone using your referral link can earn a $100 award after system activation for solar panels or Solar Roof to reduce reliance on the grid and produce clean solar energy. You will earn a $400 award for each solar referral. Additionally, you will earn one Powerwall for 10 or more solar referrals, limited to one award."

How do you read the last line you guys pasted here guys? Is that not a referral based award of a Powerwall?

"Solar
Anyone using your referral link can earn a $100 award after system activation for solar panels or Solar Roof to reduce reliance on the grid and produce clean solar energy. You will earn a $400 award for each solar referral. Additionally, you will earn one Powerwall for 10 or more solar referrals, limited to one award."

I guess I missed that part or it must have been added back in there recently.

Reactions: Fragger
I did as well. Guess they snuck that in without there being much fanfare.

I say if you can drum up that kind of business for them, in a month's time, go for it. That's really stomping the pavement.
They added the language several months ago when they went from the $250/$250 referral split to $100/$400. As far as I know, there is no one-month limit, either, for customer referrals (though I assume the program could end at any time.) The mentioned "Neighborhood Solar Ambassador" program may be different somehow, but if you are already have a referral code, you can also just wander around the community pitching your referral code and get $4k + a PW if you sell 10.

To answer one of the other questions, I believe referrals are only credited once the project is complete and paid - it is not based on orders.

Got it, good information guys... This is silly, but I don't really need a Powerwall, but if I do end up getting it, I really want the Red one... Not sure if they have those anymore?

Thats a good question (whether you could get one of those). As I understood the referral program previously, the red powerwall was what was offered. I dont think they gave people a choice of white or red, but I believe that if they called up they could swap for the standard white one if they wanted.

You could try to find one on ebay or craigslist if shopping through those sites is something you do (I wont do it for anything of any value but others tell me that just makes me old, lol. I say it makes me "non-trusting", not old). Anyway, if you earn a referral powerwall under that program, all you could do is ask them for the red one. Thing is, if you ever wanted another one, it would get progressively harder to match as the white ones are the standard color as you know.

Anyway, good luck, and thanks for the correction about the referral program. I obviously didnt know they changed it again. If one earns one through that program, though, as @wjgjr says, it would not only be the powerwall (and hopefully the gateway to make it work), but the referral money itself would pay for installation charges for all but the most challenging installs.

Got it, good information guys... This is silly, but I don't really need a Powerwall, but if I do end up getting it, I really want the Red one... Not sure if they have those anymore?
I would not count on getting a red one if you are talking about the current solar referral program - weren't those specifically "Founders Series Powerwalls" from another program (and also included signatures from Musk and others)? I don't see any mention in the current program about the PWs being anything special.

I also suspect if you don't want it, even a plain old white PW + gateway would sell for close to its value given current demand, so that is probably an option as well if you decide that is the way to go for you.

I would not count on getting a red one if you are talking about the current solar referral program - weren't those specifically "Founders Series Powerwalls" from another program (and also included signatures from Musk and others)? I don't see any mention in the current program about the PWs being anything special.

I also suspect if you don't want it, even a plain old white PW + gateway would sell for close to its value given current demand, so that is probably an option as well if you decide that is the way to go for you.
@bkp_duke is correct, bud... Founders series and then the Referral red ones... No signature on those... I actually prefer the non signature one ...

@bkp_duke is correct, bud... Founders series and then the Referral red ones... No signature on those... I actually prefer the non signature one ...
I am sure he is correct, as I did not know all the details. That said (and again, I don't know all the details), you used a different term - "Referral red ones" from him referring to them both as "Founders Series". That does make a difference, particularly as to how those programs advertised their rewards and as to how this one does. This program says nothing about "Founders Series" (with or without signature) or even about it being a special referral PW - just that is a PW. That is why I would not count on it being red.

I am sure he is correct, as I did not know all the details. That said (and again, I don't know all the details), you used a different term - "Referral red ones" from him referring to them both as "Founders Series". That does make a difference, particularly as to how those programs advertised their rewards and as to how this one does. This program says nothing about "Founders Series" (with or without signature) or even about it being a special referral PW - just that is a PW. That is why I would not count on it being red.
Yeah, good fair advice, I just hope for my preference, if I ever get them awarded... They are red :)

Yeah, good fair advice, I just hope for my preference, if I ever get them awarded... They are red :)
You do you know you can just paint the white shell :p

I believe some members even wrapped their Powerwall shell (some HOAs even require it matching the wall paint, if installed outside, so, you will have to).. Whether or not Tesla condones that, different story, but, nothing stopping you from doing it.