Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referring with M3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need a referral code and they're only given to owners. If you know someone looking to buy, maybe someone here from the UK will give you their code, and the kid's car. I'd give you my code, and the kid's car, but I'm in Canada so it won't work.

You've misunderstood my post. I have a M3 reservation and want to refer someone for a MX
Ah, gotcha. It's still really the same answer so far.

I can see 3 owners being allowed to refer new S and X owners but since there aren't any non-employee 3 owners yet, that is to be decided.

You might want to drop a note to the referral program email address. I think it's on the website and is probably [email protected].

I have a friend with a model 3 reservation (estimated delivery sitting 2018). He tells me he cannot use my referral code to get $1k of his model 3. Not quite sure how he determined this, but it was through Tesla somehow.

As to the original question, I agree with others that we won't know for sure until deliveries start for non-employee owners. My intuition is that even if they get access to the program, it will be for model X and S referrals only.

Tesla referral program is for current owners to refer people. As a 3 reservation holder you are not an owner.

On Tesla referral program page:

As a thank you, owners will be eligible to receive exclusive Referral Program awards, including:

The referral code is in the "Manage" page. My 3 does not have such option when I click Manage on the 3 reservation. On my X it's there.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 6.09.14 PM.png

I have a friend with a model 3 reservation (estimated delivery sitting 2018). He tells me he cannot use my referral code to get $1k of his model 3. Not quite sure how he determined this, but it was through Tesla somehow.....

Your friend is correct. Tesla program rules. We are MS owners and ordered a Model 3 and couldn't even give ourselves $1k off the M3. If I wanted to order an MS we could. No free supercharging on the M3 either.

I have a friend with a model 3 reservation (estimated delivery sitting 2018). He tells me he cannot use my referral code to get $1k of his model 3. Not quite sure how he determined this, but it was through Tesla somehow.

That matches the rules of the referral program. It's for existing owners (so Roadster, S, or X owners) to offer $1K off of a new S or X (even the Roadster isn't listed, which only makes sense as they're no longer for sale by Tesla). No $1K off of a 3. Again, it makes sense as the referral program is to help sell the S/X and not the 3.