Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reflecting on Tesla Service & Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on my recent road, I sadly discovered that one of the rear reflectors had fallen off.
TX Trip reflector mssing.png

How can an owner get a new part? I waited until I got back home to deal with a nearby service center (only 1.5 hours away).
I scheduled a service appointment (about 1.5 weeks in the future) using the phone app, however I made the mistake of not requesting a mobile ranger.
Rule #1: Ask for a mobile ranger service appointment, so they may look at your request sooner.
I sent them the picture so that the correct part can be ordered.
Mostly because I just wanted a new part ordered and sent to me.

Not a peep until the day before the schedule appointment did I get a reply.
Since I didn't want to drive the 1.5+ hours (each way), I cancelled the appointment saying I had a conflict.
That is when I learned the second rule, that they can only order (or send parts) with an active appointment.
Rule #2: Work with the service team to get the part ordered before cancelling any appointment.

I re-scheduled the appointment (another week later), asking for a mobile ranger and also asking if this was covered by the warranty.
My feeling is that the reflector shouldn't just fall off. There was no accident or bumping.
I replied to the first, now cancelled appointment with the date and time of the new appointment.

That produced better result and I expect to receive the new reflector on Friday.
I tried to convince them that I was capable of handling the installation by myself, saving them a ranger visit.

Overall, it was more effort than just going to a parts department of a local dealer, but seriously, I never had to leave the house and they are getting me the part.
Still pretty happy with the service and the Y.

I did contemplate (and still pondering) about getting a LED reflector kit from Pimp Your EV website. There is a Youtube video showing it which has interested me. The price however, doesn't interest me. But it'd be cool.

Last edited:
Holy Cow! Just got the estimate for the reflector. $187
I still think it should be covered under the warranty.
Still discussing things with the service team. The $187 also included the labor (which since they are just sending me the part isn't being done by them).
They are fixing the estimate to be just the cost of the part.

At that price, the $219 for the (two) lighted reflectors make more sense to me.
And they are on sale right now, for $199...
Disclosure: I am not, in any way, affiliated with that website. I do not know how well their products work (yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gadget63
The price for the reflector turns out to be $30. Still seems high to me but c'est la vie. That is what you get when buying a "luxury?" car.
However, I couldn't resist and I also purchased the upgrade kit.
That just looked really cool to me although I'm not likely to ever see it in action...
Probably best summed up with:
Wile_Coyote_Doing.png

I was quoted $4500 for 2 induction pumps on Toyota Tundra. I was afraid to ask what is the engine cost and if the rest of the car is free?!??
I actually find that Tesla parts are cheaper than other manufacturers.
Running over deer in VW Passat and knocking 2 sensors resulted in $1100.
So $30 may be even $80 is cheap.

The price for the reflector turns out to be $30. Still seems high to me but c'est la vie. That is what you get when buying a "luxury?" car.
However, I couldn't resist and I also purchased the upgrade kit.
That just looked really cool to me although I'm not likely to ever see it in action...
Probably best summed up with:
Audi tried to charge me $250 for a visor clip. $30 for a reflector seems like a bargain!

While on my recent road, I sadly discovered that one of the rear reflectors had fallen off.
View attachment 679487

How can an owner get a new part? I waited until I got back home to deal with a nearby service center (only 1.5 hours away).
I scheduled a service appointment (about 1.5 weeks in the future) using the phone app, however I made the mistake of not requesting a mobile ranger.
Rule #1: Ask for a mobile ranger service appointment, so they may look at your request sooner.
I sent them the picture so that the correct part can be ordered.
Mostly because I just wanted a new part ordered and sent to me.

Not a peep until the day before the schedule appointment did I get a reply.
Since I didn't want to drive the 1.5+ hours (each way), I cancelled the appointment saying I had a conflict.
That is when I learned the second rule, that they can only order (or send parts) with an active appointment.
Rule #2: Work with the service team to get the part ordered before cancelling any appointment.

I re-scheduled the appointment (another week later), asking for a mobile ranger and also asking if this was covered by the warranty.
My feeling is that the reflector shouldn't just fall off. There was no accident or bumping.
I replied to the first, now cancelled appointment with the date and time of the new appointment.

That produced better result and I expect to receive the new reflector on Friday.
I tried to convince them that I was capable of handling the installation by myself, saving them a ranger visit.

Overall, it was more effort than just going to a parts department of a local dealer, but seriously, I never had to leave the house and they are getting me the part.
Still pretty happy with the service and the Y.

I did contemplate (and still pondering) about getting a LED reflector kit from Pimp Your EV website. There is a Youtube video showing it which has interested me. The price however, doesn't interest me. But it'd be cool.
did you get the part finally?

Yes, the part was delivered, and I installed it. I am surprised that it fell off in the first place. There are 3 places where it attaches to the bumper. The first connection is an L shaped hook that goes in and then you have two push button snaps that go in with a satisfying click. My baby is back in one piece.
Although I'm a bit disappointed... I thought the W.E.Coyote image (above) would be more favorably received by this crowd. :)

Yes, the part was delivered, and I installed it. I am surprised that it fell off in the first place. There are 3 places where it attaches to the bumper. The first connection is an L shaped hook that goes in and then you have two push button snaps that go in with a satisfying click. My baby is back in one piece.
Although I'm a bit disappointed... I thought the W.E.Coyote image (above) would be more favorably received by this crowd. :)
I would bet someone probably hit you in a parking lot and broke the reflector. Has happened to me before.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
I got the lighted reflectors over a week ago and then got then installed with the help of a friend.
It took about 2 hours, much longer than expected but most of that was due to learning as we went.
The lights look awesome. I think it'll actually improve the safety as it's make turn signals more noticeable.
I have a video of them but it is in .mp4 format, which sadly is not accepted here.
Trying to figure out how to get it posted, although the video link above is roughly the same.