Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reflections / Washout on Model 3 Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, I don't own a Model 3 (yet anyway), but have rented one for a day and have test driven twice. On all occasions, but particularly when I had one for a full day, I noticed reflections and even washout on the center screen. The 1/3 of the screen farthest from the driver seems especially susceptible to this (you know, right where Tesla chose to put the navigation directions). At one point I even noticed it seemed a bit washed out and went on to check the brightness setting - it was at 100%. Heck, at one point, during my performance 3 test drive all of the fingerprints were practically glowing in the mid-morning sun!

I can see, of course how one person's daily commute could expose this (based on angle of sun relative to the car, etc.) more than another and so could the person's distance from the screen (i.e. shorter/taller drivers).

Our Model S, conversely, seems to have very little issue with this (not surprising given that it is much more inset, angled toward the driver, etc.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this and if so how annoying have you found it to be? I can't imagine there is any real solution (note: I did see one you-tuber had attempted a mode to angle it slightly more toward the driver but it does leave a unsightly gap).

Here are a couple of examples of shots I took while parked:

AfqSPEAg502gVZgG03haC2S-Ch89cbJeRCwpfruh7yAHqBm-GK3AYoQB-eidx4bnEeOEpR6scaTCGkGkEF_lmaVW59GDHMh9SJ3uRExAPaYBTnScf0hlpJFrtLC6tfpFdMdbbwgCMZZERcQ_J6M0CkovVvUpqKIvVfASw5j9fGtViKOOR2g7kPwOmN64__nf87YQaSBqLTgzkwstKVXTYCeaHoXMGNUawkQ1tH6fLolzg0tEA-YEWLxKAce7Gs1U5uuFLfCZTzTZw984zyMV4jnIlSbEcnUSdCAhGFYwncFzs_PYL1lnT6lTrBI4_I4-IB5FCt7mJuO1QBMIyXpp1mTzUNDHEwgM_3eBr8LA3v8ho5GatFr5Dl6azIMexXapKkJoqZejL3guaVAa78stVwt2-GzmN0renlKpA-4I5Qr_k34vCffuwywFuKT2TwsCW1dOMfhWm8maiSP5jsUNgK1P3ancVP4M-J8V9KL-zGPfFbI5jRRXOV3BP8YyvNDZ0DcNJe0EKnofja4TEvcih69tXldVQIQpLUHlIMVtomla7JkXpPOsIFyRMcKnGXIl1sA6uSxUp37o9Dnlf1NU3cHk8KwDo3JGcV-R3qfPtN-F8KKCylzpNE2BsZGqn0x1=w1668-h1251-no

seTQu1Coqv2A9jWprO35VdXBvESYMU3B91l7CbNtKLySBnyShzVW4xXUoN-CfWDKH8yymU8Avp67Yequ5MtZXnY2Rp16K1VjFU1EJAJQgk7ErMn4cZ7zItKPP1cMpT2fehi6NKNAZYDQ-wR2ZC32LuKEh7p2l4HVSg_KRssjSQLZ71mbSc4ceK6rFcGcK3BxpmehunH-u5vS_VUwwyYz4-Od8vnOtl8PoXJPSqH30rmMQRp2q3OBO3dAIzMes92L1seb5FpVSRmDBOwBrofhUAYR8NMauY8d3bE57kQf-w3_8a49m1NWCNRFET6jEQh9BsFIxG_h67jy5ekkMnk3_OObmg1r_L-KR4EoHekwlxq7Rxj6OpzdDTgQhur-7y9DJE856pxeloPauMfGLYo9vZYVfHjWfmnrnvlH58Ks2QCaMQDTgLd301iUZqatoDkaYgP4cueHQbhGOLaLvLRBwqFOMU_6Sm0jWD6JbyTzJlTI5ibIDW0RqmCn_f3-4xviYgP1DeMbL55DrfAUcsoUvPMw0m12UVcquu8yjsDNCBZ0NAndbKKwbRQmWodHHuPFs1qnDlxOAGGoJBVu5e7sGDxHo9aOqGPAwfb1Zs6GzwcC09LOJNqSInYAA5DCynzb=w1668-h1251-no

Honestly, I've only noticed reflection once on my 3 in the month I've had it. On my old car, the display was ALWAYS getting glare and I was having to shade it to back up at least half the time. Not so in the 3. I thought I was going to have to buy an antiglare screen for it, but haven't seen the need yet.

Reactions: Foxtrotter
[...]
Here are a couple of examples of shots I took while parked [...]

In order to accurately represent the reflections you need to take the picture with the camera lens placed as close as possible to where your eyes would be.

It looks like you're holding your camera right next to the steering wheel which will first of all increase the percentage of the screen covered by reflections, and second of all change the angle (I'd say the camera is forward of a normal eye position, showing more of the view out the side window than you'd see with your eyes).

In order to accurately represent the reflections you need to take the picture with the camera lens placed as close as possible to where your eyes would be.

It looks like you're holding your camera right next to the steering wheel which will first of all increase the percentage of the screen covered by reflections, and second of all change the angle (I'd say the camera is forward of a normal eye position, showing more of the view out the side window than you'd see with your eyes).

I thought that might come up, but honestly, I only took the pictures because that's basically what I was seeing at eye level. It's not like this syndrome is particularly hard to replicate.

That is one of the downsides of having a large center screen. Visibility will be reduced with light hitting the screen causing glare.

As others noted for possible solutions:
• Install Matte screen protector to reduce glare
• Install tint with a darker shade to reduce light reflection

I had this issue when I took delivery of the car an drove a week without any tint. Once I had tint installed 35% all around it greatly reduced the glare coming from the passenger window.

The beauty of the model 3 is if you don't like it, you can change it.

Apply the matte screen and tilt the display:View attachment 333516

@chojn1,

What’s on your dash? Love it. Keep us posted on availability of the tilt display. I’m in for one! P3D+ coming in 12 days! Can’t wait to put Cobys ‘works of art’ to use. Hope he’s well! As you remember I ordered ‘one of EVERYTHING”!!!:)

Ski