TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reflective wrap on my brake calipers (w/ pictures)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by OnkelDunkel, Mar 12, 2015.

1. OnkelDunkel

OnkelDunkel Member

I've been the proud owner of my second hand pearl white P85 for a little over two weeks now. My P85 did not have red calipers and I was looking to paint them, but then I found some 3M reflective wrap that can be used for calipers.

Yesterday I got them wrapped - here's some pictures. I will post better pictures when I get my 21" grey turbine Wheels on and with clean car (I got it Opticoat'ed last weekend, so I can't wash the car for 3-4 weeks :mad:)

- - - Updated - - -

Another photo without the flash...

Attached Files:

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I gotta admit that while I do not normay like to be flashy, the red calipers really do look great on your car!

3. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

Careful how you jack the car....... on the battery?!

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Ooh, that looks sharp.

Questions if I may:

Were you able to do it without removing the caliper/hydraulic line? (It appears so...)

How was the lettering handled?

Cost?

5. OnkelDunkel

OnkelDunkel Member

Thx :). Yes, nothing was remove. There are overlays in the wrap, but it's nearly impossible to see. The guy who wrapped the calipers made the letters on his own (don't even know how). The price was approx. 600 USD, but I've seen much lower quotes on on US websites (I live in Denmark which is expensive :))

6. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

THis looks fantastic. My black calipers are quite faded from the dirt that's always on them. This might be a good solution

7. rekoh

rekoh Member

8. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

The black pedestal on the scissor jack is going to the correct jack points on the car frame. In fact I want that jack!!

9. rekoh

rekoh Member

curious how the vinyl will hold up to the heat and test of time...

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very, very nice! I got the factory reds and I love them. These look identical.

11. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Red calipers are the trend for performance cars. Looks great!

12. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

On another car I would worry about cooling but the brakes on a Tesla are so rarely used I probably won't hurt anything.

13. OnkelDunkel

OnkelDunkel Member

Thanks for the positive feedback - I will post better quality pictures with 21" grey turbines. The wrap is rated at ~210F/100C, but I have no idea how hot calipers get?

Heres another shot with flash:

Side_shot.jpg

14. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Calipers can go over 250C but that's when seals start to degrade and you can vaporize fluid. Brembo usually rated to keep below 200C. They sell thermometer stickers to monitor this and guard against vaporization. But if you are not racing, you may never get near those temperatures, although 100C seems low to me for a brake part. Am interested to see how it works for you over time. Looks great!

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

On most Brembos, or at least those in traditional "Brembo Red," you don't even need a temp sticker. They just permanently turn brown when they get too hot. They even have a jokey unofficial name: Brownbos.

Chance of lapping a Model S hard enough to overheat the brakes, though? ~0%. I tried pretty hard, too.

16. Doug Darby

Doug Darby Member

I found custom made Alum caliper covers at Carid.com Any color with the Tesla logo or T for $400.
    I may try them if they fit the 19" wheels.
    If not this Wrap is next. Just need to cut my own Tesla lettering to apply.

17. OnkelDunkel

OnkelDunkel Member

You can order the letters on eBay (mine is "custom" made"), so I don't know the quality of them):

set of 6 tesla Caliper decals Tesla stickers motors model s model x model 3 | eBay

Another option: http://formytesla.com/caliper-paint-kit/product/listing.html

18. rekoh

rekoh Member

I tried to wrap them myself today.. all the material cost was about $50. Lets just say vinyl wrapping is definitely an art, and I am not that good of an artist :rolleyes: ... stock calipers remain... need to find a professional or go to plan B (Paint, replace or covers)...

19. OnkelDunkel

OnkelDunkel Member

:) I actually wondered whether I could have done it myself - glad you confirmed that I couldn't :). Here's another picture with my 21" turbines

FullSizeRender_small.jpg

Attached Files: