Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh 2021 or wait for MIC model 3??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I've got a refresh 2021 (made in Freemont) model 3 due for delivery next week.
I've currently got the option to take that, or move the order to a MIC model and wait another 5/6 weeks.

I've seen a lot of people have issues with the recent refresh models. Such as heating sensors etc.

Is there anyone on the forum that picked up a refreshed Model 3 that's absolutely fine? Or just normal teething issues?

I want to put my mind at rest! Haha

Thanks

This is definitely helping guys. Please keep them coming.
Yeah I'm not fussed about the door trims either.

The only other thing I'm a bit worried about is paying normal price now. And then Tesla drop the price in a few weeks before the MIC ones get delivered!?

Ive heard some people on here have their order agreement greyed out for some reason!?

This is definitely helping guys. Please keep them coming.
Yeah I'm not fussed about the door trims either.

The only other thing I'm a bit worried about is paying normal price now. And then Tesla drop the price in a few weeks before the MIC ones get delivered!?

Ive heard some people on here have their order agreement greyed out for some reason!?

I had the same feeling from buying an inventory vehicle on the 30th December and picking it up on the 31st. I was thinking what if in January they drop the price. Then they updated to MIC and increased the range. It’s all pro and con. I hear more range but the mic batteries are worse in cold apparently. New door trims. I like them. But I would also want to cover up the main piece with carbon.... can’t do that with the door parts if that’s the case. As for a price drop. Inevitable it will happen given Tesla’s track record of moving the price around but in the grand scheme of things it would only upset me for a day. Then I move on.

Reactions: pow216
I had the same feeling from buying an inventory vehicle on the 30th December and picking it up on the 31st. I was thinking what if in January they drop the price. Then they updated to MIC and increased the range. It’s all pro and con. I hear more range but the mic batteries are worse in cold apparently. New door trims. I like them. But I would also want to cover up the main piece with carbon.... can’t do that with the door parts if that’s the case. As for a price drop. Inevitable it will happen given Tesla’s track record of moving the price around but in the grand scheme of things it would only upset me for a day. Then I move on.

Yeah this is a good way of looking at it.

Did you have any big issues with yours mate? And of course I kind of expect a few things here and there, I mean more big things like heating sensor etc...

Hey,

I've got a refresh 2021 (made in Freemont) model 3 due for delivery next week.
I've currently got the option to take that, or move the order to a MIC model and wait another 5/6 weeks.

I've seen a lot of people have issues with the recent refresh models. Such as heating sensors etc.

Is there anyone on the forum that picked up a refreshed Model 3 that's absolutely fine? Or just normal teething issues?

I want to put my mind at rest! Haha

Thanks

M3LR here and no issues. I was really pleasantly surprised by the build quality.

Reactions: will_wonka
Are the Chinese built cars using LG batteries instead of Panasonic? If so It would be wise to read up on the relevant battery threads. From the very little I read they might not be as good.

I picked up a 2021 refresh at the end of December. It did have a couple of dubious panel fits (going in next week to resolve). But otherwise it is superb.

If I was in your shoes I might be tempted to wait, but it’s a bit of a gamble. If you really need the car I would go for it. You can always reject.

Given the last Freemont cars landed on these shores over a month ago, I'd be cautious about why it's available so long after the quarter end.

Hopefully it's perfectly fine but do be aware that it may have been rejected by a previous owner due to faults, fit or finish.

Yeah I did think about this. Thought there's also a chance that people finance falls out at the last minute and can't finish the order.

It was originally in Scotland and getting brought down to London for me to pick up. I actually asked them about things I'd heard about the side repeater camera not working in many etc.

They said to me that the car would be checked over before I took delivery that everything was "working".

It also only had 5.6m on the odometer so it's definitely brand new.

Reactions: will_wonka
Are the Chinese built cars using LG batteries instead of Panasonic? If so It would be wise to read up on the relevant battery threads. From the very little I read they might not be as good.

I picked up a 2021 refresh at the end of December. It did have a couple of dubious panel fits (going in next week to resolve). But otherwise it is superb.

If I was in your shoes I might be tempted to wait, but it’s a bit of a gamble. If you really need the car I would go for it. You can always reject.
Thanks for the advice my man!

Given the last Freemont cars landed on these shores over a month ago, I'd be cautious about why it's available so long after the quarter end.

Hopefully it's perfectly fine but do be aware that it may have been rejected by a previous owner due to faults, fit or finish.

As you suggested it could have been rejected because of faults / fit / finish - equally could be that these have all been corrected and that this is a car where there are no longer any issues such as panel gaps or paint defects - especially with the low milage

Yeah this is a good way of looking at it.

Did you have any big issues with yours mate? And of course I kind of expect a few things here and there, I mean more big things like heating sensor etc...

I had no issues with panel gaps. There was what looked to be a small tiny chip on the front bumper that was on collection when I looked around the car. And the rear bumper looked like it was not clipped in properly slightly on one corner. These issues are currently being fixed by service centre and paint by Tesla. There was also some sticky glue residue on some of the matte interior panels which they said they would sort out as well. Weirdly they could not get it off the door cards and apparently have ordered two new door cards, they told me that there was a delay on them. What door cards will turn up. I do not know. If they would be the new ones. Or old style like for like ones.

I had no issues with panel gaps. There was what looked to be a small tiny chip on the front bumper that was on collection when I looked around the car. And the rear bumper looked like it was not clipped in properly slightly on one corner. These issues are currently being fixed by service centre and paint by Tesla. There was also some sticky glue residue on some of the matte interior panels which they said they would sort out as well. Weirdly they could not get it off the door cards and apparently have ordered two new door cards, they told me that there was a delay on them. What door cards will turn up. I do not know. If they would be the new ones. Or old style like for like ones.
Haha that'd be a good way to feel like you've got an even newer car!

Zero issues with my 2021 LR other than an odd, brief regen glitch that either got fixed remotely or self-cured.

These things are more like tech than cars. You can wait forever in anticipation of the next update or just jump in and enjoy it without worrying about what’s coming. The possible price cuts made me wince briefly and then I went for a drive. The problem just melted away!

There will be price cuts and spec creep, that’s an inevitable consequence of ‘the mission’.

The MIC cars will have higher build quality and probably fewer issues further down the line. Only refresh performance has the new higher density Panasonic cells, the LR Freemont cars use the LG ones.

I have LR refresh and a few issues they need to deal with. Nothing serious but given the option I would wait for a MIC version. And you won’t run risk of getting one built in the tent, which do seem to have build issues.