Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh 90D Horse Power Specs (Powertools)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading the thread on possibly "new" HP added to the recently delivered P90DL I used Powertools (vehicle tracker mode) to test my refresh 90D (built early June 2016), SOC at 99% and max acceleration from 0 to 101 MPH on an empty highway gave the following numbers:
- Max power 510 HP
- equivalent to max power 381 KW

What are yours? Any difference with early 2015 90D and 85D?

After reading the thread on possibly "new" HP added to the recently delivered P90DL I used Powertools (vehicle tracker mode) to test my refresh 90D (built early June 2016), SOC at 99% and max acceleration from 0 to 101 MPH on an empty highway gave the following numbers:
- Max power 510 HP

Original 90D here delivered 9/15/2015.
Max power 370 kW or 496 HP at 88 MPH but with 94% SOC so curiously about the same. I would have bet the newer battery would have blown mine away. I'm happy again!!! :)

Last edited:
- Max power 510 HP

Not a lot of data collected for the non P cars. The highest I've seen for the 85D was 376KW. My P85D prior to the L upgrade was maximum of 414KW with a warm battery at 90% or more. There's not a lot of passing speed difference between a 90D and P90D. The much bigger difference is how much more the P car produces right off the line up to 60 MPH compared to the non P cars. The difference is as much as 150KW at lower speeds.

Not a lot of data collected for the non P cars. The highest I've seen for the 85D was 376KW. My P85D prior to the L upgrade was maximum of 414KW with a warm battery at 90% or more. There's not a lot of passing speed difference between a 90D and P90D. The much bigger difference is how much more the P car produces right off the line up to 60 MPH compared to the non P cars. The difference is as much as 150KW at lower speeds.
So P85D (non-L) produce 414 kw, and a new regular 90D produce 381 kw according to original post. 90D sounds like a bargain.

Reactions: msnow
THis looks interesting: I have a refreshed S90D -- tempted to check this out.

Are you using the PowerTools for Tesla app for iOS (PowerTools For Tesla on the App Store How's it different from other dyno apps on the iOS app store?

It logs what the car is reporting is in KW at the main battery terminal.

Other apps that use GPS or the acceleromter use physics to calculate horsepower at the wheels. Although a better way to do that would be a dedicated device like a vbox.

It logs what the car is reporting is in KW at the main battery terminal.

Other apps that use GPS or the acceleromter use physics to calculate horsepower at the wheels. Although a better way to do that would be a dedicated device like a vbox.

@sorka do I have the right app, then? How does it log the KW from the car? The screenshots I see don't show any KWh info. The app I found is named "PowerTools for Tesla" by Ndili Technologies, $9.99 CAD -- I took a screencap from the App store below. Just want to be sure I have the right app.

screenshot_814.jpg

@sorka do I have the right app, then? How does it log the KW from the car? The screenshots I see don't show any KWh info. The app I found is named "PowerTools for Tesla" by Ndili Technologies, $9.99 CAD -- I took a screencap from the App store below. Just want to be sure I have the right app.

View attachment 183916
You have the right app. In "Settings" you can choose to display kw or mph. I'm new to it also but find the "Vehicle Tracker" data more valuable and interesting than the 0-60 mph runs. Have fun with it!

View attachment 183916

Ugh. Because you have the setting at power vs kw. kw*1.341 = power but it's battery power, not power at the wheels.

So if set to KW, it 73 hp would read 54.4 KW. Powertools should just get rid of the HP setting and absolutely shouldn't make it the default.