Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh 90D vampire measurement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to run a little test of the vampire drain while away for Thanksgiving. So, I left the car plugged in, but set the charge limit down to 60% (car was at 79%). I checked range daily via the iPhone app.

Start: 235 Rated Miles
Day 1: 230 (~56 watts)
Day 2: 228 (~19 watts)
Day 3: 225 (~24 watts)
Day 4 - 10: 225 (<2 watts)

I was wondering if the app just stopped updating after day 3, but when I got back to the car I confirmed that it really was at 225 displayed on the dash. The car woke up immediately, with no sign of being in deep sleep, so I'm not sure how they got the power use so low.

Does it pull from plug power for the vampire loads? It didn't look like it on the first 3 days. Unfortunately, I can't measure what was pulled from the plug, and I wanted the option of remotely triggering a charge to be sure the car was ready when I got back. If I run this test again, I'll leave the car unplugged.

My car settings:
Power Saving: Off
Always Connected: On (on home WiFi)
Smart Preconditioning: Off
Range Mode: Off

I decided to run a little test of the vampire drain while away for Thanksgiving. So, I left the car plugged in, but set the charge limit down to 60% (car was at 79%). I checked range daily via the iPhone app.

Start: 235 Rated Miles
Day 1: 230 (~56 watts)
Day 2: 228 (~19 watts)
Day 3: 225 (~24 watts)
Day 4 - 10: 225 (<2 watts)

I was wondering if the app just stopped updating after day 3, but when I got back to the car I confirmed that it really was at 225 displayed on the dash. The car woke up immediately, with no sign of being in deep sleep, so I'm not sure how they got the power use so low.

Does it pull from plug power for the vampire loads? It didn't look like it on the first 3 days. Unfortunately, I can't measure what was pulled from the plug, and I wanted the option of remotely triggering a charge to be sure the car was ready when I got back. If I run this test again, I'll leave the car unplugged.

My car settings:
Power Saving: Off
Always Connected: On (on home WiFi)
Smart Preconditioning: Off
Range Mode: Off
Other than that last day, 2 or 3 rated miles per day is what I got last week too. Less that 1% per day which is normal for my car (original 90D).

My experience has been that if I plug it in, it charges to the setpoint, then allows vampire drain to draw it down for around three days without charging - but at some point near the three day mark it charges back to the set limit.

That's obviously a little different from your experience, and I drove on the fourth day so I'm not sure what would have happened next.

My guess is that you are seeing the car using wall power to stabilize the battery state of charge, though I don't know why it would do that while still above the charge limit setting.

Sorry to be a bit confusing on the numbers there, but I didn't want to type 225 over and over. The car stayed at 225 for a week, from day 4 through day 10.

I'm wondering if the car pulled from the plug on those days (even though it didn't for the first 3 days) or if it just shut more things off after being inactive for so long.

Sorry to be a bit confusing on the numbers there, but I didn't want to type 225 over and over. The car stayed at 225 for a week, from day 4 through day 10.

I'm wondering if the car pulled from the plug on those days (even though it didn't for the first 3 days) or if it just shut more things off after being inactive for so long.
I'd call Tesla to pull your logs for those days and let you know what happened. I've never seen a car get zero loss over six days and it doesn't pull from the wall connector unless it's charging. Is it possible you left it at 79% instead of 60%? That would make more sense.