TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Refresh 90D vampire measurement

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by csanders90D, Dec 2, 2016.

1. csanders90D

csanders90D Member

I decided to run a little test of the vampire drain while away for Thanksgiving. So, I left the car plugged in, but set the charge limit down to 60% (car was at 79%). I checked range daily via the iPhone app.

Start: 235 Rated Miles
    Day 1: 230 (~56 watts)
    Day 2: 228 (~19 watts)
    Day 3: 225 (~24 watts)
    Day 4 - 10: 225 (<2 watts)

I was wondering if the app just stopped updating after day 3, but when I got back to the car I confirmed that it really was at 225 displayed on the dash. The car woke up immediately, with no sign of being in deep sleep, so I'm not sure how they got the power use so low.

Does it pull from plug power for the vampire loads? It didn't look like it on the first 3 days. Unfortunately, I can't measure what was pulled from the plug, and I wanted the option of remotely triggering a charge to be sure the car was ready when I got back. If I run this test again, I'll leave the car unplugged.

My car settings:
    Power Saving: Off
    Always Connected: On (on home WiFi)
    Smart Preconditioning: Off
    Range Mode: Off

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Other than that last day, 2 or 3 rated miles per day is what I got last week too. Less that 1% per day which is normal for my car (original 90D).

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You mean other than the last 6 days that showed no significant loss. (The mileage stayed the same all 6 days.)

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

No that's not what I meant. He has days 1 through 4. Days 1, 2 and 3 have a couple of miles vampire loss each of those days. They did not stay the same all days. 230 then 228 and finally 225.

• Disagree x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No he has days 1 through 10: "Day 4 - 10: 225 (<2 watts)"

You will notice that he says days 4 through 10 all reported 225.

• Disagree x 1
  6. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes right. I think the last entry with no change at 225 was an anomaly. Two to three miles of vampire is normal.

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

My experience has been that if I plug it in, it charges to the setpoint, then allows vampire drain to draw it down for around three days without charging - but at some point near the three day mark it charges back to the set limit.

That's obviously a little different from your experience, and I drove on the fourth day so I'm not sure what would have happened next.

My guess is that you are seeing the car using wall power to stabilize the battery state of charge, though I don't know why it would do that while still above the charge limit setting.

8. csanders90D

csanders90D Member

Sorry to be a bit confusing on the numbers there, but I didn't want to type 225 over and over. The car stayed at 225 for a week, from day 4 through day 10.

I'm wondering if the car pulled from the plug on those days (even though it didn't for the first 3 days) or if it just shut more things off after being inactive for so long.

9. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'd call Tesla to pull your logs for those days and let you know what happened. I've never seen a car get zero loss over six days and it doesn't pull from the wall connector unless it's charging. Is it possible you left it at 79% instead of 60%? That would make more sense.