Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Gear Selector Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did some searching on here and the internet but wasn't able to find anything relevant to my question.

Model S LR 2022 Refresh

My wife notices the lights on the gear selector/drive mode selector almost every time she gets in and starts driving, but I've almost never noticed it. Either I'm very inattentive to this particular detail (likely), or she is exaggerating about her experiences (also likely).

Does anyone know what makes the gear selector/drive mode selector lights on the console light up? I'm concerned that there may be intermittent malfunctions that need to be investigated. Any input is apprectiated.

Per the manual:
In most situations, these buttons are not available until you press one of the buttons to activate it. When active, the LEDs associated with each button illuminate and when you select P, R, N or D, the associated LED illuminates amber.
In situations where the touchscreen is unavailable (for example, experiencing a technical issue), [...] the drive mode selector on the center console activates automatically and there is no need to touch it.

This discussion came up a few days ago because, as we were driving down the highway, all displays froze (including dash), and yoke controls (e.g. turn signals and lights) weren't working. The drive mode selector illuminated and after about 3 minutes, the screens rebooted as if I had held down both scroll wheels on the yoke. Driving ability appeared to be unaffected, but it was nerveracking nonetheless. Internet tells me that this is a rare but known issue... :/

I am interested in this discussion. I was able to get the gear selector lights to come up a couple of times when I first got the car without knowing what I did to make that happen, but now I can't get it to come up no matter where or how long or how often I press on that strip. The hazard lights switch works every time though.

The lights come on automatically if the MCU takes too long to wake up.
"Too long" is a pretty short time frame, like 3 seconds in my experience. Usually the MCU wakes instantly but I've had maybe 5-10 instances in the 7 months that I've had the car where the lights lit up on their own. MCU woke up a second after.

FYI the car is fully drivable and safe even with the MCU completely crashed.

Mine is just flat out wonky. I can now get it to come up some times, but not reliably. I thought a reboot would fix it, but no change. Not too bothered by it, but if others are able to just press the brake and then touch the panel to have it light up every time, then something is broken with mine.

Mine is just flat out wonky. I can now get it to come up some times, but not reliably. I thought a reboot would fix it, but no change. Not too bothered by it, but if others are able to just press the brake and then touch the panel to have it light up every time, then something is broken with mine.
Clicking both yoke scroll wheels activates the touch buttons fairly consistently for me. Just touching the buttons is definitely a hit or miss.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ