Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh? get some Ipads instead!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have an X but want to upgrade, it seems like your paying an extra 10,000 dollars to get a better touch screen and a mini screen in the back seats.

So why not just hold on to your car and just get some ipads, or top of the line ipad pros and throw them in the car??!!!

depending on the model, for the same cash you can have 7 maxed ipad pros with the 13 inch screens...if you have 7 seats that an ipad per seat. just have passengers tether onto your iphone. Probably faster than the built in landscape ipad on the dash.

hey, how about a few mac laptop pros instead?

So hey, save some money and throw those bad boys in the seats or behind the seats in pouch. But remove them all if valet parking LOL!

R

We just got a 2020 long range model X in September. I’m happy with what we got. Wouldn’t have pulled the trigger if the price was 10k more, plus we got the six seat configuration. If the refresh didn’t get the price increase I would have had buyers remorse, but I’m content with my purchase. Also, since they increased the price by 10k, I’m hoping resale values didn’t change as much.

I think the OP is kind of joking. For me, you’re right, I don’t care about the screens and I’ve already posted about why the backseat screen is useless for games.

However, I have 2016 P90D with AP1 and a max range of 224 miles now. So, a refreshed X gives me about 140 more miles, newest AP hardware, newer battery tech, better cold weather performance, etc and it just happens to come up with a different screen. If all I wanted was a faster screen, I’d get the MCU upgrade for $1,500.

But my sub 500 VIN X is severely mileage constrained now and the hardware is ancient. Could I also get a used 2020 or 2021 X miles of range? Yes. BUT, my 2012 S had no autopilot and my X has old hardware too. So, I am all too familiar with how fast Tesla’s hardware ages due to Moore’s Law.

my kids will still use their iPads in the backseat as the screen is larger than the new rear one, they can watch or play what they want, etc. But that’s not even close to the most important differentiating feature on the new X or S...

But my sub 500 VIN X is severely mileage constrained now and the hardware is ancient. Could I also get a used 2020 or 2021 X miles of range? Yes. BUT, my 2012 S had no autopilot and my X has old hardware too.

We're in the same boat with a 2013 S and 2016 X. The S is an easier call given age and overall hardware improvements.

OTOH...I'm really torn about the X. Would love longer range and faster charging since we tow. But I've driven the most recent iterations of AP and phantom braking is a nightmare! AP1 is 1000x better in that regard.

It's a bit ironic that they despite better hardware all around, usability of the vehicle has diminished (IMHO).

Can you connect multiple controllers and play against each other on iPads? It looks like that is what you can do with the in-car system.

2 players on a screen that size and viewing distance would have to be unplayable.

My kids have 2 amazon tablets (both bigger than the back screen in the X) that they bring with them and they can play against or with each other (minecraft, Roblox, etc.) or any of their friends no matter where they are. They also like playing solo or with each other on a Nintendo switch.

I really don't see that backscreen being used much for gaming. Would be curious how much it adds to the cost of the car as I would assume it would be wasted for most.

Reactions: elguapo
Can you connect multiple controllers and play against each other on iPads? It looks like that is what you can do with the in-car system.
You cannot connect multiple controllers to an iPad. But an 8” screen at knee level won’t do it. As a comparison, a Nintendo Switch screen is 6.2” and that’s a handheld device. Anyone who has tried to play multiplayer games on that can tell you it’s worthless.

Also, unless Tesla is going to use a legitimate platform like Steam, why would people buy games that only run on the Tesla? We need to know more here about the platform. Regardless, the screen is too small.

We're in the same boat with a 2013 S and 2016 X. The S is an easier call given age and overall hardware improvements.

OTOH...I'm really torn about the X. Would love longer range and faster charging since we tow. But I've driven the most recent iterations of AP and phantom braking is a nightmare! AP1 is 1000x better in that regard.

It's a bit ironic that they despite better hardware all around, usability of the vehicle has diminished (IMHO).
It’s a tough one, you are right. My S is long gone, but that would’ve been easy.

On the X, I really don’t see, to your point, tangible, useful AP functionality from 1.0. I’ve driven a recent 3 and it makes the same darn mistake of drifting near exit ramps, jamming the brakes, etc. Is it impressive tech? Sure, but the one thing I really use AP for, high way driving, seems largely unchanged with the newest AP tech.