Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refresh" Headlights, separate and repair DRL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m 9 months out of warranty and was still quoted $3300 to replace both for the same problem. The technician said Elon himself would have to authorize a “goodwill “ replacement. When I asked for his contact information he just laughed. 49,600 miles. It will just have to continue like it is
Mine crapped out too. And no free replacements. I figure I’m driving around an advertisement for crappy Tesla headlights.

Apparently, the list price for the LED headlights (2016-2021) is now at $1,470, and the latest revision is "G". Those are unobtanium as used parts, so the only other option is to get an older revision used for anywhere from $350-450 on eBay. I still find this a viable option, as you can replace it three times with used headlights before you exceed the cost of a new one.

I've gone through a couple replacements and the last replacements (one smashed by a deer, one replaced due to burned out eyebrow -- finally bit the bullet) are revision G. So far so good but it's only been a few months. Time will tell! It does seem like this is a clear defect and perhaps should have been replaced by Tesla free-of-charge, but not enough for a recall since the eyebrow is not a safety feature, I guess?

Be warry of these cheaper made in China "upgrades" as it applies to mission critical items such as headlights. I've tried them in years past due to an enticing price tag, claims of performance increase or (in many cases) both. In reality, what I ended up with was either lower performance, incredibly shortened reliability periods or (in many cases) both.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good deal and will likely buy cheaper made in China deals (maybe this week, even) but I do so with a lot more caution these days on what the role of said item is based on personal experience over the decades. Headlights are NOT something you want not working when you need them to work. Source: I've made that mistake before.

I would say that if you insist on these types of items at least others be the guinea pig to see if they're even worthy if your investment of time & money, at a minimum. Don't be the one to pay for the honor to beta test cheap Chinese headlights that are new-to-market.

That's my advice worth exactly what you paid for it. Do what you will with it.