Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Refresh LR and Plaid rated wh/mile anyone?

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
With 95 kwh usable, 20" wheels, and 5 seat config, Plaid and LR would be 284 and 273 wh/mile respectively . My P85DL is 310 wh/mile in order to achieve rated range which I handily beat on long trips since I tend to keep it to about 5 mph above the speed limit and no faster.

What are folks realistically achieving on LR? Anyone just get a Plaid with early impressions on efficiency?

Oh. Wait. AlanSubie4Life *does* know it for the Plaid and already posted it back in June.

The current charging constant used for all calculations on the display is 246Wh/rmi.

In fact there's a whole thread on it:

So, to spell this out, to actually get the car to go the distance shown next to the battery icon, you'll need to drive in such a way that your dashboard trip meter shows less than 246 Wh/mi after the trip is over.

(For various technical reasons, you'll need to probably keep it below 233 to really get your "rated" miles, but that's a much longer story)

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Oh. Wait. AlanSubie4Life *does* know it for the Plaid and already posted it back in June.

In fact there's a whole thread on it:

So, to spell this out, to actually get the car to go the distance shown next to the battery icon, you'll need to drive in such a way that your dashboard trip meter shows less than 246 Wh/mi after the trip is over.

(For various technical reasons, you'll need to probably keep it below 233 to really get your "rated" miles, but that's a much longer story)
These were preliminary numbers so they may have changed (sometimes happens early in a model year). However, it’s relatively easy to determine the final numbers empirically. Not sure whether the Energy Screen ever showed up on the Plaid. Makes it easy.

In any case I have not been paying attention. Easy enough for anyone to figure out though - no mysteries!

With 95 kwh usable, 20" wheels, and 5 seat config, Plaid and LR would be 284 and 273 wh/mile respectively . My P85DL is 310 wh/mile in order to achieve rated range which I handily beat on long trips since I tend to keep it to about 5 mph above the speed limit and no faster.

What are folks realistically achieving on LR? Anyone just get a Plaid with early impressions on efficiency?
I picked up a 2022 LR with 19 inch wheels this past Sunday and recently did a 190 mile round trip on highways and stuck in traffic for several hours. Parts of the highway were at up to 75 mph and 1 1/2 hours each way was essentially in stop and go (gotta love that Cross Bronx Expressway and George Washington Bridge). I also discovered my tires were only 38 psi on the trip out and since the car was parked for 5 hours in snow, I adjusted them up to the recommended 42 psi for the trip home using the air compressor I always have in my trunk. Outgoing 95 miles averaged 301 w/mile. Returning 95 miles averaged 251 w/mile. It was an easy round trip starting at 99% soc and finishing at 30 something %. I forget the actual number, but there was plenty of range for this journey.

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
I picked up a 2022 LR with 19 inch wheels this past Sunday and recently did a 190 mile round trip on highways and stuck in traffic for several hours. Parts of the highway were at up to 75 mph and 1 1/2 hours each way was essentially in stop and go (gotta love that Cross Bronx Expressway and George Washington Bridge). I also discovered my tires were only 38 psi on the trip out and since the car was parked for 5 hours in snow, I adjusted them up to the recommended 42 psi for the trip home using the air compressor I always have in my trunk. Outgoing 95 miles averaged 301 w/mile. Returning 95 miles averaged 251 w/mile. It was an easy round trip starting at 99% soc and finishing at 30 something %. I forget the actual number, but there was plenty of range for this journey.
Since this is the Model X forum, I suspect OP was asking for Model X numbers. But your numbers are impressive indeed, considering it is cold in NY.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC