Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S driver’s seat creaking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Went to service. Tesla ordering a new seat for me.
Same here. Weeks before it comes in, but hopefully a permanent fix.
28D5261E-DA69-4C2D-BDA4-450B2394D485.jpeg

Reactions: WilliamG
Just got done with Tesla again regarding this. They replaced the seat bottom, which seems to have fixed it. Time will tell, but if I don’t ever complain about the creaking again it will joyous.

@Scody88 this is the part they replaced, the same as on your invoice.

Attachments

• BA40BA4D-8E2D-45B8-97A0-1F98D0A525CE.jpeg
    BA40BA4D-8E2D-45B8-97A0-1F98D0A525CE.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Just got done with Tesla again regarding this. They replaced the seat bottom, which seems to have fixed it. Time will tell, but if I don’t ever complain about the creaking again it will joyous.

@Scody88 this is the part they replaced, the same as on your invoice.
Well, I’m back and the creaks are too. My last note on the forum highlighted that the tightening of bolts fixed the issue. However, it was temporary. I ended up getting an entire new seat and no more creaks for about 2 months and now it returned today. Same sound and seemingly same location (driver bottom left). I wish we could pinpoint the noise.

Well, I’m back and the creaks are too. My last note on the forum highlighted that the tightening of bolts fixed the issue. However, it was temporary. I ended up getting an entire new seat and no more creaks for about 2 months and now it returned today. Same sound and seemingly same location (driver bottom left). I wish we could pinpoint the noise.
Wow that’s interesting. Mine was bottom right and hasn’t returned yet. I’m not looking forward to a few months down the line. 😞

Do you have a list or part number of what was replaced? Was it literally the whole seat?

Wow that’s interesting. Mine was bottom right and hasn’t returned yet. I’m not looking forward to a few months down the line. 😞

Do you have a list or part number of what was replaced? Was it literally the whole seat?
Yep. The entire seat. When they took the seat apart they found a rivet that was broken up high (not a source of noise) but resulted in too much lean of the seat. I don’t know why but this sound drives me bonkers. There are other imperfections with the car that I can ignore but this MFCking creak…

Yep. The entire seat. When they took the seat apart they found a rivet that was broken up high (not a source of noise) but resulted in too much lean of the seat. I don’t know why but this sound drives me bonkers. There are other imperfections with the car that I can ignore but this MFCking creak…
Jeez what a nightmare. Are you by any chance very tall? I just had the bottom seat frame replaced and it’s certainly tightened up any slight rock it used to have, and the seat doesn’t creak anymore (yet…). I’m 6’5” so I’m sure I put pressure in very different places on the seat than a shorter driver. The short service center reps were unable to reproduce the creaking until I sat back in the car and demonstrated.

It’s really the worst sound, right??

Jeez what a nightmare. Are you by any chance very tall? I just had the bottom seat frame replaced and it’s certainly tightened up any slight rock it used to have, and the seat doesn’t creak anymore (yet…). I’m 6’5” so I’m sure I put pressure in very different places on the seat than a shorter driver. The short service center reps were unable to reproduce the creaking until I sat back in the car and demonstrated.

It’s really the worst sound, right??
Indeed, the worst. I’m not —-6ft, 150lb. Maybe I need to gain more weight.

Did you get any part numbers in your invoice? I’m curious as to what they actually did…
Here you go

Concern: Driver seat rocks back and forth. Seat requires replacement.
Removed and replaced drivers seat assembly. Verified correct fitment and operation.
Correction: Seat - Driver (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
1ST ROW SEAT 1.00 ASSEMBLY - LEFT
HAND DRIVE - LEFT
HAND - LONG RANGE - WHITE(4876527-01-A)

Here you go

Concern: Driver seat rocks back and forth. Seat requires replacement.
Removed and replaced drivers seat assembly. Verified correct fitment and operation.
Correction: Seat - Driver (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
1ST ROW SEAT 1.00 ASSEMBLY - LEFT
HAND DRIVE - LEFT
HAND - LONG RANGE - WHITE(4876527-01-A)
Interesting. I looked up that part on Tesla and it says “Model X Mar 2021.” I suppose it may well be the same seat assembly on the S but usually it will list it for all vehicles. Hmm. For me they just replaced the bottom seat metal but not the whole vertical portion or seat cushion/electronics etc.

Interesting. I looked up that part on Tesla and it says “Model X Mar 2021.” I suppose it may well be the same seat assembly on the S but usually it will list it for all vehicles. Hmm. For me they just replaced the bottom seat metal but not the whole vertical portion or seat cushion/electronics etc.
I hope your seat is still quiet. I ended up taking off the back seat panel and added gaffers tape to every metal on plastic connection and any potential spot that plastic may rub and I’m happy to report the creaking is gone(going on 3 weeks) An early poster had mentioned when they took off the seat backing the creaking went away. For what it’s worth…it worked for me this time.

I hope your seat is still quiet. I ended up taking off the back seat panel and added gaffers tape to every metal on plastic connection and any potential spot that plastic may rub and I’m happy to report the creaking is gone(going on 3 weeks) An early poster had mentioned when they took off the seat backing the creaking went away. For what it’s worth…it worked for me this time.
Seat is indeed still quiet. I haven’t driven a ton since the work was done, but I’m hoping it stays that way, - same with yours!

I had the same issue on my Model Y and I wanted to add my data point. Based on the tear down of the seats, the S/X and 3/Y seats share substantially the same underlying structural parts. My issue started with a minor creak but progressed into a fairly loud one. Eventually I was able to reproduce the sound by sitting in the back seat and pulling back on the driver seat from the shoulder area.

The first mobile tech wasn’t able to address the issue. He only had time to use felt tape to see if it was a leather rubbing with the side plastic piece. He recommend taking it to a service center

A few weeks later I take it to the service center. The tech tried reseating the outboard plastic shield, but that also didn’t resolve the issue. I ended up reproducing it when I with the service center manager as I was picking up my car and we rescheduled for another attempt.

For the third attempt, the lead tech reproduced it and I believe worked on my car. In his notes, he mentioned that the noise was coming from the pivot bolts and he tried retorquing them. That didn’t resolve the issue, so he replaced the lower seat frame like others here have. This seems to have fixed the creak. The part number is here:

1ST ROW SEAT
CUSHION FRAME
POWER
ASSEMBLY(1107103-
TX-J)

I have an Austin build Model Y, so I think that explains the part number variation. Otherwise I believe it’s the same part across all the cars.

I’d like to thank WilliamG, KB498, and others for sharing their experience. It helped me understand the issue and push Tesla service to get this resolved. Hopefully it sticks!

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
I had the same issue on my Model Y and I wanted to add my data point. Based on the tear down of the seats, the S/X and 3/Y seats share substantially the same underlying structural parts. My issue started with a minor creak but progressed into a fairly loud one. Eventually I was able to reproduce the sound by sitting in the back seat and pulling back on the driver seat from the shoulder area.

The first mobile tech wasn’t able to address the issue. He only had time to use felt tape to see if it was a leather rubbing with the side plastic piece. He recommend taking it to a service center

A few weeks later I take it to the service center. The tech tried reseating the outboard plastic shield, but that also didn’t resolve the issue. I ended up reproducing it when I with the service center manager as I was picking up my car and we rescheduled for another attempt.

For the third attempt, the lead tech reproduced it and I believe worked on my car. In his notes, he mentioned that the noise was coming from the pivot bolts and he tried retorquing them. That didn’t resolve the issue, so he replaced the lower seat frame like others here have. This seems to have fixed the creak. The part number is here:

1ST ROW SEAT
CUSHION FRAME
POWER
ASSEMBLY(1107103-
TX-J)

I have an Austin build Model Y, so I think that explains the part number variation. Otherwise I believe it’s the same part across all the cars.

I’d like to thank WilliamG, KB498, and others for sharing their experience. It helped me understand the issue and push Tesla service to get this resolved. Hopefully it sticks!
Glad to hear you got it fixed!