Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Refresh Model S LR/Plaid : Winter Tire Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We havn't comfirm if the pre-refresh 19" has enough barrel clearance for the refresh Model S's bigger caliper.

However, even if it clears, you will still need to run spacer or otherwise the wheel will sit very tuck in to the fender.
Maybe I was just remembering this somewhat speculative post which still needs confirmation re pre refresh 19". Also there were at least 3 versions of pre refresh 19s, maybe some work better than others.

In any case, they will look pretty narrow and tucked. They also might deviate the suspension geometry too much. Total speculation though.

Narrow tires are better for snow as well.
Maybe in deep fresh snow but worse in all other cases, mainly compacted snow and the most common, cold dry or cold wet roads.
20211207_213320.jpg

Reactions: All In and scrapps
Hey guys,

I take delivery of my 2022 MSP next week and I am trying to get a set of winter tires ordered so I can get some use out of the car in the new year. My tire guy is planning on this setup, any cause for concern?

Front setup:
Touren TR75 19x8.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 255/45R19

Rear setup:
Touren TR75 19x9.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 285/40R19

Hey guys,

I take delivery of my 2022 MSP next week and I am trying to get a set of winter tires ordered so I can get some use out of the car in the new year. My tire guy is planning on this setup, any cause for concern?

Front setup:
Touren TR75 19x8.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 255/45R19

Rear setup:
Touren TR75 19x9.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 285/40R19
I just mounted Michelin pilot sport all Season 265/35-R21 on the front and 295/35 R21 on the rear of my new 2022 Model S LR with 21
Arachnids. The fronts are standard factory size and the rear is a 295/35 vs (295/30)on stock. This is the closest size Michelin makes to stock rear in an all season. The rear is 1 inch taller than stock but clears without a problem. This allows me to run one tire year around without having to switch out between the snow tires and performance summer tires each year.

I just mounted Michelin pilot sport all Season 265/35-R21 on the front and 295/35 R21 on the rear of my new 2022 Model S LR with 21
Arachnids. The fronts are standard factory size and the rear is a 295/35 vs (295/30)on stock. This is the closest size Michelin makes to stock rear in an all season. The rear is 1 inch taller than stock but clears without a problem. This allows me to run one tire year around without having to switch out between the snow tires and performance summer tires each year.
I think you have a great plan hear. With my setup I’ll probably have to get a third set to make it through the spring shoulder season.

Curious how they compare from a road noise perspective. Heard the 20s are a bit loud

Curious how they compare from a road noise perspective. Heard the 20s are a bit loud
No complaints on noise so far. Was 23 degrees this morning and tires were quiet and provided outstanding handling and grip. Very happy with this decision so far. YouTube reviews of this tire in winter conditions showed pretty impressive snow and ice performance also.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
Hat tip to @SignatureWheel and others for all the info here. I'm picking up take-off 19" Tempests, and have ordered a set of Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905's, 275/40R19 XL 105W at only $140 each. Decent reviews on Tire Rack despite the special low price (and it doesn't say close-out...).

That's one of the alternate 19" square sizes Jamie proposed, and should fit on the Tempests even looking at the chart @Robotpedlr turned up.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
Quick update: I found out the date of manufacture on the Yokohama Bluearths (from Tire Rack, I forgot to mention) is 2018, I think he said 21st week. They've been stored properly so I'm not worried about the age, but that probably explains the pricing. More of them in stock if anybody else is pinching pennies and prefers a 19" wheel.

Asked this in the other wheel/tire thread but this one may be more appropriate. Has anybody purchased the Tire Rack package with the Rial Lugano 19x8.5 wheels? Do they work well? Any concerns with being too narrow?

I originally ordered with the 255/45 Sottozero rubber, but Tire Rack won’t have those for a while so they offered be Conti VikingContact 7s (same 255/45), which appear to be only T rated for speed. I don’t intend to go over 100mph on my winter set anyway so I think that’s okay?

Tesla apparently has the Tempest wheels but not the winter tires in stock. The service center suggested I could buy those with all-season tires, even though that option isn’t on the website. Part of me is tempted to just do that and sell my 21s, but they really do look much better. Having a single set with AS rubber and more range would be convenient though.

I did a bit of a risky thing and drove from Portland to Seattle on the 21'' OEM MPS4S tires on Xmas afternoon. Most of the drive was 34-37F but had to drive through two areas of snow/snowing.

Honestly not terrible. Winter tires would have calmed my soul but the car didn't run away from me. I'll still be getting the 19'' OEM winter wheel and tire set but I think people saying they are hockey pucks in cold weather are just citing anecdotes from older tires.

Picked up my Model S LR yesterday. :cool:

This is a 19" dedicated winter square setup for the refreshed (yoke) Model S.

Went straight to my garage to install the winter wheels. Was snowing and the roads were a mess so please excuse the dirty photos. :rolleyes: Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

They delivered the car to Montreal, Canada with P Zero high performance summer tires in the dead of winter believe it or not. Personally I prefer this as I always use dedicated winters.

Everything fit like a glove, no issues at all, plenty of clearance everywhere. I initially purchased 20mm spacers for the rear however the tires did stick out too far by about 10mm so I elected to use none at the end of the day. The rear wheel without spacers is about 10mm inward on the car compared to stock however not really noticeable IMHO and intend on leaving as is.

Here is what was used for my "square" winter wheel/tire setup

Picked up the Tesla BT TPMS sensors At Tesla
Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
RTX Spider wheels. (# 082737) Spider - Gloss Black
Center Caps, Why 20?, needed 4 for the Y also so I used 8 already and good to have spares. Centre Caps
Gorilla "The System" Black lug nuts Lug Nuts

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, I though I would try here too. This may be mentioned above, so my apologies if so:

So, I brought my MS into the SC yesterday to have them swap out my summer's for all-seasons. A couple hours later, I get a call saying that my wheels are already all-seasons, and it says so right on the tires. He insists. I'm like, "what?", and totally embarrassed. I come buy to pick up the car, and no where can I find where it says all-seasons. Now, it is my service advisor seems embarrassed. A technician comes out, and shows us the brand new replacement tires, which are EXACTLY the same as mine. Pirelli PZero's. They had inventory labels on them that said:
1420241-00-A 255/45R19 100Y, 19AS
1420242-00-A 285/40R19 103Y, 19AS

Looking here at TMC, those do seem to be the correct all-season tires. I am heading to the snow in a couple of days, and while it is too late for me to do anything about it now, I could use some reassurance.

Your SC should easily know the difference, I cannot imagine they are trying to tell you they are all seasons talk about incompetence!! Pirelli P Zeros are a high performance summer tires, no if, ands or buts. Just by looking at the tread it is quite obvious, no sipes so to say, basically slick rubber. Sorry about the bad news. Not sure about the numbers you quoted but Pirelli does offer a P Zero winter tire but that should not come standard on the S, more like a winter tire package sold separately not to mention it will say P Zero Winter on them. P Zero Winter

Last edited:
I just picked up my MSLR this week and it came with the Continental AS tires. They have the M/S stamp which you should see on yours if they are really A/S. But as posted above, not likely.

I would demand they change them out or send you and email confirming that they are A/S, in case of a driving incident due to limited traction. That you have something to come after them about. If they sense some liability, they may rethink and swap them out.

I posted this in another thread, I though I would try here too. This may be mentioned above, so my apologies if so:

So, I brought my MS into the SC yesterday to have them swap out my summer's for all-seasons. A couple hours later, I get a call saying that my wheels are already all-seasons, and it says so right on the tires. He insists. I'm like, "what?", and totally embarrassed. I come buy to pick up the car, and no where can I find where it says all-seasons. Now, it is my service advisor seems embarrassed. A technician comes out, and shows us the brand new replacement tires, which are EXACTLY the same as mine. Pirelli PZero's. They had inventory labels on them that said:
1420241-00-A 255/45R19 100Y, 19AS
1420242-00-A 285/40R19 103Y, 19AS
Looking here at TMC, those do seem to be the correct all-season tires. I am heading to the snow in a couple of days, and while it is too late for me to do anything about it now, I could use some reassurance.
P Zeros are sold in a few flavors. The way to tell for sure is look for an "M+S" on the tire sidewall. If it has "M+S", then they are considered all-season tires. P Zeros for the winter will also have a pictogram of a 3-peaked mountain with a snowflake inside (3PMSF symbol).

Reactions: bhzmark
Anyone running 265/40R21 and 295/35R21 on a plaid? Roughly a 1" larger rolling diameter, but otherwise maintains the existing stagger exactly and the diameter difference between front and back. Worried a bit about rubbing, but wouldn't mind more sidewall and a there are quite few more options in these sizes.