Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Plaid Issue: Safety Restraint System Fault and Airbag Safety Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I wanted to see if anyone else in the community has run into this issue: Safety Restraint System Fault and Airbag Safety light indicator stuck in the on position. My car has been in service for 16 days searching for a solution, including replacing the driver side airbag. They have determined that the "issue is not solvable by parts replacement" and that everything is functioning. This is "not a safety issue". The error is likely coming from a software glitch that they are going to try to fix on the "back end" (all quotes indicate SA's words, not mine).

I was told that there are 2-3 other plaids in the country that have this problem (lucky me), and a senior engineer from Tesla flew out to look at my car to diagnose it. Has anyone else run into this issue in their new plaid? I am in Washington State, and I do not know all the particulars about Lemon Laws but doesn't this kinda sound like a lemon ( I mean I've read it, but this is splitting hairs. There is definitely a nonconformity that they cannot fix, but they've tried once; or its a serious safety issue even thought they say it isn't but again they've only tried once, and will not try to fix anymore because they do not know how....)? I really don't want to go down that road, but I want a car that doesn't chirp an error at me every 10-15 minutes while I'm driving about a Safety Restrain System Fault. Thoughts?

Thanks for any info

Dan

Hello all,

I wanted to see if anyone else in the community has run into this issue: Safety Restraint System Fault and Airbag Safety light indicator stuck in the on position. My car has been in service for 16 days searching for a solution, including replacing the driver side airbag. They have determined that the "issue is not solvable by parts replacement" and that everything is functioning. This is "not a safety issue". The error is likely coming from a software glitch that they are going to try to fix on the "back end" (all quotes indicate SA's words, not mine).

I was told that there are 2-3 other plaids in the country that have this problem (lucky me), and a senior engineer from Tesla flew out to look at my car to diagnose it. Has anyone else run into this issue in their new plaid? I am in Washington State, and I do not know all the particulars about Lemon Laws but doesn't this kinda sound like a lemon ( I mean I've read it, but this is splitting hairs. There is definitely a nonconformity that they cannot fix, but they've tried once; or its a serious safety issue even thought they say it isn't but again they've only tried once, and will not try to fix anymore because they do not know how....)? I really don't want to go down that road, but I want a car that doesn't chirp an error at me every 10-15 minutes while I'm driving about a Safety Restrain System Fault. Thoughts?

Thanks for any info

Dan
Hi Dan,

Just had the same issue with my Plaid just 5 days after delivery. Scheduled a mobile service visit which the TSC then without calling me rescheduled to an in-store service more than 3 weeks away !!, excuse appears to be they can’t repair with mobile unit and are “trying to source parts”. No ability to speak to a human at the TSC so had to call Sales and complain there.

Tesla make make a great car but Customer service is woefully inadequate and like you I have no time to deal with a Lemon.

Reactions: aerodyne
Hi Dan,

Just had the same issue with my Plaid just 5 days after delivery. Scheduled a mobile service visit which the TSC then without calling me rescheduled to an in-store service more than 3 weeks away !!, excuse appears to be they can’t repair with mobile unit and are “trying to source parts”. No ability to speak to a human at the TSC so had to call Sales and complain there.

Tesla make make a great car but Customer service is woefully inadequate and like you I have no time to deal with a Lemon.
When I scheduled my service for this they also had to convert me from mobile to in store appointment. But they did give me option of dropping off my car and swapping for a loaner while they waited for the parts, given it is a potential safety issue.

This thread as a bunch of helpful information that I also forwarded to my SA when my car was in the shop for this issue.

I can update. They took apart the seat, and basically reconnected everything, properly. After this the error went away. Most likely this is a loose connection. I just cannot believe it took them forever to figure this out.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Can you let us know which seat, and was the loose connection under the seat bottom on the underside?

I wear slippers (flip-flops) that I take off when driving, and I push them a bit under the driver’s seat from the front. I wonder if this caused a problem under the seat from trying to stow them there while driving. Never thought pushing my slippers under the seat would finally cause a harness issue after 35 years of no problems on other cars, but it’s worth checking into. I cannot even get a service appoinment until October 19th, and it would be nice to know it’s something I caused prior To the visit.

Before anyone gets the idea of trying to fix this themselves...

Yeah, it probably would be a pretty easy thing to fix.

But make sure you read up on and follow the high and low voltage disconnect procedure prior to attempting to fix this yourself.

Lest you turn the inside of your car into the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Before anyone gets the idea of trying to fix this themselves...

Yeah, it probably would be a pretty easy thing to fix.

But make sure you read up on and follow the high and low voltage disconnect procedure prior to attempting to fix this yourself.

Lest you turn the inside of your car into the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.
I am an extraordinary mechanically and electrically inclined person who could easily fix this issue as well as any tech at a Tesla service center. What a bold statement right? I’m making that statement because it is true, and to to also make a point that it would be foolish for me to delve into something like this, and I recognize that fact. I don’t have the technical references on hand to do this competently and safely, I am not authorized, and it’s under warranty.

With all of this said, haveing information about the history of this particular code, and what various fixes have been successful and unsuccessful can be useful in dealing with the SC effectively, without burning my garage down, haha.

Looks like my issue is intermittent (at times), as it went away over the weekend for a few hours, then came back. It would clear, then comeback, and repeat this cycle over and over in the course of just a few minutes, which really sucks as the chimes get very annoying like that. Normally, it’s not as bad as it only chimes once when going into drive, then it would not make a peep for the entire drive. Thank god it went back into not working at all yesterday, and it’s back to chiming once at the start of a drive, and permanently displaying the error.

Really seems like a harness issue with symptoms like that.

Anyone else with any information regarding this error? My car went in for a new High Voltage battery pack, and came back with this issue which had disappeared for about 6 weeks and is now back with a vengeance (interestingly right after moving my driver's seat forward and then all the way back - to let a buddy drive it).

It's RCM2_a058.

Any further info on this would be appreciate!

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 214
Anyone else with any information regarding this error? My car went in for a new High Voltage battery pack, and came back with this issue which had disappeared for about 6 weeks and is now back with a vengeance (interestingly right after moving my driver's seat forward and then all the way back - to let a buddy drive it).

It's RCM2_a058.

Any further info on this would be appreciate!
Good Lord.... how much more is this car of yours capable of throwing at you?? Wait... don't answer that! ;)

Man, I'd be at the end of my leash by now with all the crap your car has put you through.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
Good Lord.... how much more is this car of yours capable of throwing at you?? Wait... don't answer that! ;)

Man, I'd be at the end of my leash by now with all the crap your car has put you through.

Oh I know. It's in service (either at the service center or in my driveway) on average every 19 days since pick-up on August 5. Not even sure why I haven't lost my mind yet. Or maybe I have lost my mind, and that's why I continue to put up with it... :eek:

And yeah, it's at the service center right now (surprise!). I have a lovely blue 2017 Model S 75D in my garage, - which was lovingly named BlueBarry by some other Tesla-owning unfortunate.

Last edited:
Oh I know. It's in service (either at the service center or in my driveway) on average every 19 days since pick-up on August 5. Not even sure why I haven't lost my mind yet. Or maybe I have lost my mind, and that's why I continue to put with it... :eek:

And yeah, it's at the service center right now (surprise!). I have a lovely blue 2017 Model S 75D in my garage, - which was lovingly named BlueBarry by some other Tesla-owning unfortunate.
Yeah, they'd have to triple the length of allowable signatures if you decided to put your new car's saga in your sig. A lot of the forum guys have no idea of what you've been through... would make for a very entertaining/educational/maddening read should you decide to post everything that happened since day one. Although that would be one helluva lot of work!

Sure hope they get it figured out for you soon, man.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG