Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting quoted $700 for a full body paint correct and ceramic coating (Gyeon Pro-line) here in Chicago. Is this within market? Product good?

He is also recommending Glassparency glass coating w/ 3 year warranty for hydrophobic reasons to deter rain/snow from glass. $50 windshield/$150 full car. Not sold on that yet.

Thoughts on both/either of the above?

Reactions: impastu
As more people have been getting their new Model S LR & Plaids, there has often been questions about tint, PPF, and ceramic in the Delivery Update threads asking for information and photos. So figured I'd try to start a dedicated thread for owners to post photos and information about their tint, PPF, and ceramic for the benefit of other members.

So to start things off, here is my Plaid with full Xpel Ultimate Ultra PPF on entire car, with Xpel Prime XR Plus tint (55% windshield, 30% fronts, 20% rears), and Ceramic Pro PPF/Vinyl coating (please feel free to ask if you want any specific details or photos):

View attachment 692210

View attachment 692211

View attachment 692213

I'm also happy to share quotes that I got for these various services in the Orange County area for anyone that is interested.
Anything on the roof?

Reactions: impastu and MEL-22
You guys are blowing my mind with all this info first Tesla didn’t know I need this done but after learning about the paint issues I’m getting something done but I don’t know anything about this stuff. My order is WHITE\White 21’s I want the super shinny look and I will be tinting maybe front as well. My question is what should I get to give me that all around shinny look.

You guys are blowing my mind with all this info first Tesla didn’t know I need this done but after learning about the paint issues I’m getting something done but I don’t know anything about this stuff. My order is WHITE\White 21’s I want the super shinny look and I will be tinting maybe front as well. My question is what should I get to give me that all around shinny look.
Ceramic.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Anything on the roof?
Someone posted on one of the main threads a video of a tint shop that took thermal readings under the new roof, which indicated no tint needed on roof. Based on that I decided not to tint roof. Wish I could remember where it was posted for you but I can’t. Others have posted that the sun is too much for their bald heads. So there are differing opinions out there.

edit: I found the video, below. I didn’t realize it was made 3 years ago, but I’m hoping the performance is the same with the 2021 refresh!

Last edited:
Someone posted on one of the main threads a video of a tint shop that took thermal readings under the new roof, which indicated no tint needed on roof. Based on that I decided not to tint roof. Wish I could remember where it was posted for you but I can’t. Others have posted that the sun is too much for their bald heads. So there are differing opinions out there.

edit: I found the video, below. I didn’t realize it was made 3 years ago, but I’m hoping the performance is the same with the 2021 refresh!

So now I’ll have to ask my tint guy his opinion just to see if he knows what he’s talking about. Thanks.

Dumb question. To get that super shinny look with the most protection can I do a ceramic then the ppf on top of that and if so do need to go all out with the ceramic if I’m going to cover it with the PPF or should I go all out(4layer) with ceramic to get the best shinny look I can.

So, I disagree with this video. I tinted all my side windows to 35% and front windshield to 70% ceramic tint (Xpel XR+).

Over the long weekend, I drove down to the central coast of California, and on warm sunny days I definitely felt heat coming through the glass roof, enough that I could feel my forehead burning up. I ended up wearing a hat.

I had the same tint setup on my Model 3 Performance and had the same issue, so I ended up buying roof shades. They don’t exist from Tesla yet for the Plaid, so I may end up tinting the roof as well…

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and GrnSqrl
Dumb question. To get that super shinny look with the most protection can I do a ceramic then the ppf on top of that and if so do need to go all out with the ceramic if I’m going to cover it with the PPF or should I go all out(4layer) with ceramic to get the best shinny look I can.
The usual recommendation is PPF, and then ceramic on top of PPF. Most companies offer ceramic that is specifically designed for PPF.

I decided not to do roof tint yet, since most tint shops recommended dropping the roof liner to tint the roof properly, which I didn't really want to let them do yet.

Ppf is thick cover clear or matte that is cut to fit or pre patterned, wet and pulled across car squeegeeing out water and left to cure (shrink on). Something good like xpel will not dull the car to a noticeable degree. The car should look as good. It protects from rock chips, most scratches and things like swirling. Heat from sun “self heals” ppf. (key scratches etc can disappear/heal) Ceramic is just a slick coating, applied by hand that lasts 3-5 years. Can be on paint, glass, wheels, calipers etc. Adds a gloss or shine and possibly deepens color. Makes car a lot easier to clean off gunk etc. Ppf is four to five times the cost of ceramic. If doing both, ceramic is put on top of the ppf. Theoretically, after applying either or both, you should really only hand wash and if going automatic, go to a touch less.

Last edited:
The usual recommendation is PPF, and then ceramic on top of PPF. Most companies offer ceramic that is specifically designed for PPF.

I decided not to do roof tint yet, since most tint shops recommended dropping the roof liner to tint the roof properly, which I didn't really want to let them do yet.
My detail guy knows the 2021 Model S’s have the newly tinted roof glass. He was impressed and I think he said it gauged at 0 or something super low. Some of the Fremont flyover videos on YouTube show very blacked out looking glass from the drone view looking down at them. But you’re in CA and probably need it even darker. ☀️

I’m pretty sure they don’t. I think one just has to ride it out, as it were.

I am mildly surprised there was no champion for satin….
I'm a champion of satin/stealth, and I think it looks great on my car! But it's MSM, not black..

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg