Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally your call. But why would you paint correct if you are going to put PPF over it?
So in general Tesla paint is just bad. Swirls, solvent stains etc. With a glossy PPF you absolutely want to paint correct. It will hide some of the imperfections, but not all of them. With the matte PPF, it's less of a concern. But this is a detailer I've worked with for years and standard practice. Obviously if you decided not to paint correct, you could save a bit of $$$$. IMHO paint correction is a must with Tesla. It's gotten better over the years, but is pretty soft and vulnerable.

So in general Tesla paint is just bad. Swirls, solvent stains etc. With a glossy PPF you absolutely want to paint correct. It will hide some of the imperfections, but not all of them. With the matte PPF, it's less of a concern. But this is a detailer I've worked with for years and standard practice. Obviously if you decided not to paint correct, you could save a bit of $$$$. IMHO paint correction is a must with Tesla. It's gotten better over the years, but is pretty soft and vulnerable.
I've heard from a few PPF professionals that the refresh 2021 Tesla Model S paint is the best they have seen from Tesla to date... I'm likely still getting PPF, but this is a positive sign I would believe.

Last edited:
Regarding Suntek Reaction film - I was going to go that way originally, but was encouraged not to by my installer. They said that after meeting with Suntek they determined it wasn’t worth the premium. Their reasoning was that:

1. The ceramic coating on the film is not a lifetime product
2. The ceramic coating on the film does not include UV protection, which standalone ceramic coatings do
3. There is no evidence for how the pre-installed coating will behave down the road when you have new coating installed over it. (Will it haze? will it be splotchy?)
4. Unless you’re going for a complete edge tucked install on the entire car, You’d end up with parts of your car with/without ceramic coating
5. It costs more

In the end I took their advice and went with Suntek Ultra on the entire car with a separate ceramic coating applied over the top. Happy with the results.

Keep in mind, I’m no expert. Just passing along the info I was given.

Here are the facts.

No ceramic coating is a true lifetime product - but neither is any film.
No PPF offers "UV protection" in that sense.
The ceramic in the PPF provides additional stain resistance and improves clarity and gloss levels.
In general, if the coating used is a coating that is meant for PPF, Like Ceramic Pro PPF & Vinyl Base & Ceramic Pro PPF & Vinyl TopCoat and there isn't a problem after the 2 week mark, you won't have an issue.
It's a $5 per foot increase VS the Ultra - which is NOTHING for a paint protection film shop. The actual percentage is a large increase in comparison but the cost per install could easily be absorbed and the shop could include that $5 per foot in the price and no one would complain.

We've been installing coatings on ceramic coated film now for about the last 4 months, none of which present anything different in terms of how they hold up. It's only a win to go with the ceramic impregnated film - there isn't a negative.

Ultra is a great product but Reaction is DEFINITELY the improved version. After using both, installing both, that Reaction is a solid choice and I would install that on anything.

Totally your call. But why would you paint correct if you are going to put PPF over it?

Some defects may be too bad for PPF to cover. In general, correcting paint is a good thing prior to application. It ensures the paint is level, defect-free, and clean - on colors like red, blue, and black - it pays big time to do the correction in terms of gloss jumps.

SIDE NOTE - Who on earth thought that the current hood strut and joint system for the hood on the PLAID/S was a good idea at Tesla? Because I would like to have a chat with them.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-03 at 5.29.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-03 at 5.29.12 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
DO IT! It looks incredible with the gloss black window trim and door handles. Goes really well with the Arachnid wheels too.
I also have the signature sv104 triple tint black wheels for winter. but saw the gloss version on one of the posts and wish I had gone that way. I'm sure mine will look good nonetheless. Anyway, thanks for the picture...please send more in natural light when you get her out in the wilderness.

I also have the signature sv104 triple tint black wheels for winter. but saw the gloss version on one of the posts and wish I had gone that way. I'm sure mine will look good nonetheless. Anyway, thanks for the picture...please send more in natural light when you get her out in the wilderness.
I am about to pull the trigger on some black triple tint sv107’s. I think the color is beautiful, and like it more than the gloss black, but I am a bit concerned about clashing with theOEM trim

Has anyone heard of Solargaurd's Clearshield Pro Hydro PPF? If so what are your thoughts?

I got my LR S tinted today using XenithIR by Solargard 15% which I love. I thought it would be too dark although I think it looks great. With that being said my local shop offers Clearshield Pro Hydro which claims to have self healing elements, similar to Xpel and a few others.

Originally, after looking into PPF in depth and the cost ranging from $5,500 - $8,000 (full vehicle) / $$3,500 - $6,000 (half vehicle), I couldn't justify spending that much on PPF. Its almost 8-10% of the cost of the car (pre 10k price increase), so I decided against PPF. Today when I went to get tint I noticed the Solargard Clearshied. After chatting with them I was able to get the price for half the vehicle (Full front, rocker panels, back bumper, etc.) for about $2,500 which is much more reasonable IMO. I only want this to prevent major dings from rocks and debris like most people.

Has anyone heard of this Clearshield Pro Hydro PPF?