Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more for good measure. At least this one is outside.

Attachments

• 97366C05-7D1A-4E8A-BCE5-93E2971B51E5.jpeg
    97366C05-7D1A-4E8A-BCE5-93E2971B51E5.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 175
Hello All - Looking to have my Plaid when delivered covered in PPF/Ceramic Coating and Paint Correction.

My question is, is the order, paint correction then coating then the PPF on top of that?

Also, I have small kids and wanted to add a PPF film to the rear seat backs instead of an ugly mat, any ideas? Does Xpel offer extra material to cover the seat backs?

Reactions: impastu
Hello All - Looking to have my Plaid when delivered covered in PPF/Ceramic Coating and Paint Correction.

My question is, is the order, paint correction then coating then the PPF on top of that?

Also, I have small kids and wanted to add a PPF film to the rear seat backs instead of an ugly mat, any ideas? Does Xpel offer extra material to cover the seat backs?
It is paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic on top of PPF. Yep, I found that strange at first too.
As far as paint correction goes, there is some debate on that. There are some YouTube videos out there where they show that PPF covers any paint issues well enough that it does not make a difference. Others say that it is a must. Some colors, such as black, are more sensitive to showing marks. White is hardly noticable.

Paint correction first, then PPF. The ceramic goes over the PPF and is usually a special ceramic to work with PPF. Not sure on the seat backs - I would probably advise against PPF there.

You CAN ceramic coat the seats - this makes them easy to clean.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja

See the other comments above regarding the order. I would have your detailer review the paint job and paint correct any deep scarring to the paint. I (personally) would not paint correct a full car unless the paint job is just entirely shoddy.

Reactions: impastu and GrnSqrl
It is paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic on top of PPF. Yep, I found that strange at first too.
As far as paint correction goes, there is some debate on that. There are some YouTube videos out there where they show that PPF covers any paint issues well enough that it does not make a difference. Others say that it is a must. Some colors, such as black, are more sensitive to showing marks. White is hardly noticable.
Thank You!

Reactions: impastu
See the other comments above regarding the order. I would have your detailer review the paint job and paint correct any deep scarring to the paint. I (personally) would not paint correct a full car unless the paint job is just entirely shoddy.
I should have clarified - I would not paint correct an entire car if you are PPF-ing the entire car. If you are full frontals or partial PPF, probably makes sense to.

I should have clarified - I would not paint correct an entire car if you are PPF-ing the entire car. If you are full frontals or partial PPF, probably makes sense to.
I would vote the opposite here. Again just my opinion, but if you are going to spend the money to PPF the entire car, absolutely paint correct first. Otherwise all the paint imperfections - which are many on Teslas, can be seen underneath the film. Most reputable installers will do this as part of the PPF package. If you are doing a color change vinyl instead then no need to correct since the paint cannot be seen.

For the seat backs, PPF does not work well on plastic. I had my installer try a small piece on there and it did not look good. I ended up getting some fitted seat back covers that do look a lot better than the generic covers that just clip on with straps. Not perfect, but does protect the seat backs from kid’s shoes, without looking too out of place.

418F1B1F-BFE9-49BE-8FCD-5A914A0FE86F.jpeg

For the seat backs, PPF does not work well on plastic. I had my installer try a small piece on there and it did not look good. I ended up getting some fitted seat back covers that do look a lot better than the generic covers that just clip on with straps. Not perfect, but does protect the seat backs from kid’s shoes, without looking too out of place.

View attachment 723126
Link?

View attachment 723126
These look great, can you provide the link to where you purchased these?

View attachment 723126
Thank You! I plan to add the clear PPF and I want the blue paint to really shine through so I am leaning towards paint correcting the entire vehicle

I have a set of Signature Wheels on order, and thinking about applying ceramic to them before I even mount tires on them. Any recommendations? I was looking at Gtechniq - C5 Wheel Armour
That’s what others have used and I will be using.
Thank You! I plan to add the clear PPF and I want the blue paint to really shine through so I am leaning towards paint correcting the entire vehicle
the blue is beautiful especially in the sunlight. I'd carefully inspect the paint before committing to paint correction. In my limited experience the body shops want to charge $1k for the service, which should be able to be done self-service with a clay bar at worst or not at all at best. Anything more extreme than clay bar correction should be a Tesla punch list fix.