Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this available in "chrome delete" black instead of CF?
I couldn’t find it in a chrome delete black. I found vinyl adhesive cutouts for the existing logo but not a full replacement logo like the one on Amazon. Some people take theirs off and spray paint them piano black. I saw hyperdip in piano black but didn’t feel like dealing with it.

I couldn’t find it in a chrome delete black. I found vinyl adhesive cutouts for the existing logo but not a full replacement logo like the one on Amazon. Some people take theirs off and spray paint them piano black. I saw hyperdip in piano black but didn’t feel like dealing with it.

Indeed, nor could I. ...Order placed, dangit. :)

As more people have been getting their new Model S LR & Plaids, there has often been questions about tint, PPF, and ceramic in the Delivery Update threads asking for information and photos. So figured I'd try to start a dedicated thread for owners to post photos and information about their tint, PPF, and ceramic for the benefit of other members.

So to start things off, here is my Plaid with full Xpel Ultimate Ultra PPF on entire car, with Xpel Prime XR Plus tint (55% windshield, 30% fronts, 20% rears), and Ceramic Pro PPF/Vinyl coating (please feel free to ask if you want any specific details or photos):

View attachment 692210

View attachment 692211

View attachment 692213

I'm also happy to share quotes that I got for these various services in the Orange County area for anyone that is interested.
Looks awesome. Got a plaid yesterday. Are you happy with the percentages you chose? I live in FL with blazing heat. Was considering the same with the exception of 70% on front. Was also considering 20 all around but felt it may be too dark for front windows. Did you redo tint on pano roof?

Reactions: WiLz and impastu
Looks awesome. Got a plaid yesterday. Are you happy with the percentages you chose? I live in FL with blazing heat. Was considering the same with the exception of 70% on front. Was also considering 20 all around but felt it may be too dark for front windows. Did you redo tint on pano roof?
Yup, so far still happy with my choice of tint percentages. I would suggest looking at the tints in person to get a better idea of what you like.

Most of the shops I asked about the roof tint said they have to drop the headliner to do it properly. So I decided to hold off, as I didn’t want anyone messing with the headliner on a new car. Might decide to do it later though.

Reactions: KZ-CLT and impastu
My LR is scheduled to arrive in a couple of months and need some advise.

• I plan on keeping the car for some time. Not leasing this one.
  • I do not have a garage, except for when I am at work. My car is out in the sun most weekends and late afternoons, and definitely bakes and gets lots of dirt and tree sap. Getting windows tinted, mostly for interior heat protection.
  • I wash my car often, using the 2-bucket method.
  • I am not interested in paint correction. That makes more sense with a dark colored vehicle, and not so much white.

I like the idea of PPF, though it is expensive, and I am not too worried about rock chips. If I do this, I may consider stealth over white. I also understand I could save $$$ by just hitting the risky areas.

As far as ceramic goes, this is what confuses me. I could do this easily enough myself and save $$$, though understand it will not last nearly as long as a professional. No big deal. Once a year I can re-do it, or just pay the cost for a professional early on. It's not that much. I am just confused that if ceramic bonds to paint and forms a wonderful coat and seal, why does it go OVER ppf? What is that benefit exactly? If I do ceramic alone, would that give me good enough results to help make my car easier to clean?

I am sure these questions have been asked before. Sorry and TIA

Reactions: impastu
RE. your parking situation...same for me. I bought the outdoor car cover for Model S. I leave it parked many days in a row when travel. Don't want to come back to a clean up job. Maybe not compatible with your schedule, but maybe extends your time between washings.

Reactions: KZ-CLT
RE. your parking situation...same for me. I bought the outdoor car cover for Model S. I leave it parked many days in a row when travel. Don't want to come back to a clean up job. Maybe not compatible with your schedule, but maybe extends your time between washings.
I am in and out of my car multiple times a day. Car covers work, but are really inconvenient.

Reactions: impastu
My LR is scheduled to arrive in a couple of months and need some advise.

• I plan on keeping the car for some time. Not leasing this one.
  • I do not have a garage, except for when I am at work. My car is out in the sun most weekends and late afternoons, and definitely bakes and gets lots of dirt and tree sap. Getting windows tinted, mostly for interior heat protection.
  • I wash my car often, using the 2-bucket method.
  • I am not interested in paint correction. That makes more sense with a dark colored vehicle, and not so much white.

I like the idea of PPF, though it is expensive, and I am not too worried about rock chips. If I do this, I may consider stealth over white. I also understand I could save $$$ by just hitting the risky areas.

As far as ceramic goes, this is what confuses me. I could do this easily enough myself and save $$$, though understand it will not last nearly as long as a professional. No big deal. Once a year I can re-do it, or just pay the cost for a professional early on. It's not that much. I am just confused that if ceramic bonds to paint and forms a wonderful coat and seal, why does it go OVER ppf? What is that benefit exactly? If I do ceramic alone, would that give me good enough results to help make my car easier to clean?

I am sure these questions have been asked before. Sorry and TIA
Yes, ceramic should help in your situation and make it easier to clean, and leave less marks on the paint from the elements (bird droppings, sap, water spots, etc). If you are not worried about rock chips, light scratches, dings, etc. then you don't have to do PPF.

They actually make ceramic coatings that are designed to bond to PPF that should be used when applying over PPF, giving it another layer of protection and makes it easier to keep clean (PPF alone does not have the slickness, gloss, or hydrophobic properties of ceramic, unless you go with Suntek Reaction).

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and 4SUPER9
LR is headed in tomorrow morning for:

Paint Correction
Modesta Exterior Glass Coating (Windshield)
Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass (Roof)
Modesta BC-06 Wheel Coating
XPEL - Full Front + A-Pillars, Rocker Panels
XPEL Smoke - Headlights
Modesta BC-05 over PPF and balance of paint
Chrome Delete
XPEL XR Black 30 window tint

Should have some progress photos later in the week.
F4B8B49F-69D5-4B6B-B2FC-998AC43AC426.jpeg
B8098D1E-68F7-44A8-BE0C-2C0561ACAAC9.jpeg
B325C76F-8B07-4022-A320-E2FCC799959D.jpeg

Just had my Model S tinted with 30% Formula One Pinnacle ceramic tint last week. I had 25% on my Model 3 Performance, but struggled with the auto-dimming mirrors at night, trying to park in the dark. The 30% still removes so much heat, and overall much happier with it at night.

The rear window took a few attempts to get right, because of the alcantara or carpet fibers floating around would make their way under the tint, but they got it taken care of and let me know it took them a couple of tries. Something to bear in mind for those who haven't done it yet. I didn't even know they'd had trouble with it until the car was done and ready for me to pick up.

Attachments

• 1630542867731.jpeg
    1630542867731.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 192
Mine is going in for Stealth PPF tomorrow and window tint at Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana. I pulled the front T, wet sanded with 400 and sprayed it with SEM black satin. I like the contrast against the piano black. PFS will handle the PLAID lettering in satin and I asked them to delete the rear T. Looked crowded to me between the spoiler and the T E S L A bar.

Attachments

• 12CB6961-CBEA-4B0E-8F62-20FA6F552550.jpeg
    12CB6961-CBEA-4B0E-8F62-20FA6F552550.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 194