Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is going in for Stealth PPF tomorrow and window tint at Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana. I pulled the front T, wet sanded with 400 and sprayed it with SEM black satin. I like the contrast against the piano black. PFS will handle the PLAID lettering in satin and I asked them to delete the rear T. Looked crowded to me between the spoiler and the T E S L A bar.
Nice. I'm rolling with a smoke chrome front emblem. Will share photos after my wrap is complete.

Reactions: impastu
For the life of me, I have never seen tint go on the outside and the inside.
All window tint is placed on the outside of the glass to heat shrink it. This is a required step in window film application to ensure that the film fits properly and doesn't finger up. Each window is different so the tint is put on the window it is cut for a "shrunk to fit". It isn't applied on the outside. The film you see being laid on the inside, is that same film that was shrunk on the exterior.

All window tint is placed on the outside of the glass to heat shrink it. This is a required step in window film application to ensure that the film fits properly and doesn't finger up. Each window is different so the tint is put on the window it is cut for a "shrunk to fit". It isn't applied on the outside. The film you see being laid on the inside, is that same film that was shrunk on the exterior.
Much appreciated and great work!

i really want the Suntek Reaction PPF, what are your overall thoughts about it? was it/is it necessary to add the ceramic coating on top of the PPF?
I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's among the newest PPF films released. Very clear with extreme gloss and no yellow peel. I understand it's very easy for installers to work with and it contains hydrophobic properties without adding a ceramic topcoat. I'm still going to add one as it can't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's among the newest PPF films released. Very clear with extreme gloss and no yellow peel. I understand it's very easy for installers to work with and it contains hydrophobic properties without adding a ceramic topcoat. I'm still going to add one as it can't hurt.
im excited about it! thanks for sharing! post a pic if you can :p

I just spoke with Xpel corporate offices about the Model S refresh, as I wanted to know if they were going to offer up pre-cut templates to their installers for the window trim, now that it is glossy blacked out and will likely show swirl marks down the road. They said if someone who owns a refresh in the San Antonio area wants to reach out to them, they usually work out a deal for that person in exchange for having access to the car for a bit.

They also have yet to release their "wear & tear" templates for the refresh that covers the painted areas inside the door jam. I specifically inquired about that area, as the dirt quickly builds up there inside my previous Model S. Btw, the only other area that Xpel has yet to have templates for is the refreshed interior, but that isn't as important to me.

Yes, I know that installers can custom wrap those areas, but I'm fine waiting until they put those out, and saving a few bucks in the meantime.

Below is their contact info, if you live in the San Antonio area and want to look into this:

XPEL, Inc.​

618 W. Sunset Road
San Antonio, Texas 78216
USA

+1 (210) 678-3700
1 (800) 447-9928

[email protected]
8:30-5:30 CST

I took delivery of my Plaid last Friday and dropped it off this Monday morning at Mr. Tint in San Jose.

In just 4 full days of work, they installed XPEL Ultimate Plus Stealth PPF on the whole car, 35% XPEL XR+ tint on the side windows, and 70% XPEL XR+ tint on the windshield.

Total package was $6695, which is a very decent price for the Bay Area.

And here are the results! I really like how the matte gray and gloss black of the 19” aero covers are reflected in the now-matte paint and shiny “chrome delete”:

42BD3A6E-55AA-4C1A-B377-5AD2625C7906.jpeg

60C04B28-BC12-4E31-AA33-26520781102E.jpeg

5AE91793-3C62-4386-AD9E-D3C03BF2E487.jpeg

96560066-BF85-48CD-BBBD-1D51A33CBEE7.jpeg

C6F2E246-22D9-4289-B6AB-1AA313A4C63D.jpeg

E215F2A4-F953-4175-89E8-0D2E84C6DE96.jpeg

88C875A8-649B-4319-98B0-5E20FB9B773B.jpeg

6AAEA478-74EE-4436-958C-03495BEDB893.jpeg

F2B64716-AB7A-443D-9190-775554F6DC6D.jpeg

Decided upon 3M ceramic. It's a fairly new product that requires only two coats to provide the same level of protection, glossiness, and hydrophobic qualities of four coats of CQuartz 3.0. The shop is also going to remove the factory PPF installed in the problem area in front of the rear wheels, PPF the entire car, and add another layer of Reaction in the area of factory PPF. I'll be able to remove and replace the additional layer if it begins to show wear from debris coming off the front tires. All of this this hopefully be resolved once custom mud flaps are released for the refresh S.

Just got my Plaid back after 5 days. Got front PPF, ceramic, tint all around (70/35/20/20/20). About 5100k total. Bought some bolt covers off Amazon for the Tempest wheels.
I’ve been asking around seeing so many options. I’m looking for a wheel cap kit, all black and gloss preferably. Can you provide me the link to your wheel kit? It’s seems to be what I’m looking for. Thanks so much!

Alright! Picking up on 13th, dropping at detail shop the 14th. Full xpel, remove front plate, tint (thinking 30x4 and 20 on back having same shades on current cts), full ceramic except wheels. If I pull off hub caps, which I’m thinking of doing warmer months, I may add ceramic to wheels too (they remove to do etc).
I’m also having them paint front and back T emblems Black. Was going to go matte but now thinking I match the gloss car. Thoughts on emblems? I’m back and forth. I have about a week to land on final decisions on these things. Thanks 🤔

Alright! Picking up on 13th, dropping at detail shop the 14th. Full xpel, remove front plate, tint (thinking 30x4 and 20 on back having same shades on current cts), full ceramic except wheels. If I pull off hub caps, which I’m thinking of doing warmer months, I may add ceramic to wheels too (they remove to do etc).
I’m also having them paint front and back T emblems Black. Was going to go matte but now thinking I match the gloss car. Thoughts on emblems? I’m back and forth. I have about a week to land on final decisions on these things. Thanks 🤔
I'm very symmetrical. Everything else is gloss black, so I'm having my emblems painted the same. FYI - they will probably remove your wheels to wrap PPF.