Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it recommended to have lights and bumper, etc be removed so that PPF wraps around panel edges? Is there any risk of doing damage?
Any time you are removing panels, it has a chance for damage. I would say most professional installers should be able to install around edges and blend with headlights, etc. to create as seamless as possible. I think @GrnSqrl had their cameras removed. So it is a toss up honestly.

Any time you are removing panels, it has a chance for damage. I would say most professional installers should be able to install around edges and blend with headlights, etc. to create as seamless as possible. I think @GrnSqrl had their cameras removed. So it is a toss up honestly.
Nope wasn’t me. At least they didn’t tell me the did it if they did. Lol. No panel or door removal either.

And I haven’t noticed any distortion on Xpel windshield. Just the rear window, which had distortion before tint.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Nope wasn’t me. At least they didn’t tell me the did it if they did. Lol. No panel or door removal either.

And I haven’t noticed any distortion on Xpel windshield. Just the rear window, which had distortion before tint.
Maybe it was @BobbyRitz. Someone posted damn progress photos of their car and the rocker panel camera was removed. That is all I remember hah.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and GrnSqrl

thank you for sharing your experience! my other tinted windows look perfectly fine, this is why I believe its the 70% tint specifically that has some kind of defect.

perhaps the installer rolled up the film too much prior to installing it? anyways thanks for your input!

thank you for sharing your experience! my other tinted windows look perfectly fine, this is why I believe its the 70% tint specifically that has some kind of defect.

perhaps the installer rolled up the film too much prior to installing it? anyways thanks for your input!
There have actually been multiple reports of waviness and distortion in the windshield glass. So it may be the glass. See posts in the issues thread: Model S Plaid/LR 2021 Refresh Issues Thread

Maybe it was @BobbyRitz. Someone posted damn progress photos of their car and the rocker panel camera was removed. That is all I remember hah.
Guilty as charged. Outside of the 2x4's used on the lift, my guy was pretty solid.
46B70FA7-005D-48A5-A06A-925DA39E6C75.jpeg

wow, this looks absolutely phenomenal. I actually love the rear without the Tesla ”T”. I may do the same on my black plaid. Looks pretty mean in my opinion.

Did you tint your front headlights?
Thanks! The back emblem was a fortunate accident as the wrong product was shipped. The shop and I agreed that it looked great without anything there. Xpel Smoke Headlight film was used.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
Here are photos of my stormtrooper

Work done at 405 Motoring in LA. Talk to East, he's a very cool guy and will take care of you!
- XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF (full body)
- Ceramic Pro PPF (2 layer ceramic coat)
- Ceramic pro wheel and caliper (1 layer)
- XPEL Prime XR Plus (35% side and rear, 70% front)
- Blacked out badging

View attachment 709275View attachment 709276View attachment 709277View attachment 709279Not a fan of the white, but this looks really good.

As more people have been getting their new Model S LR & Plaids, there has often been questions about tint, PPF, and ceramic in the Delivery Update threads asking for information and photos. So figured I'd try to start a dedicated thread for owners to post photos and information about their tint, PPF, and ceramic for the benefit of other members.

So to start things off, here is my Plaid with full Xpel Ultimate Ultra PPF on entire car, with Xpel Prime XR Plus tint (55% windshield, 30% fronts, 20% rears), and Ceramic Pro PPF/Vinyl coating (please feel free to ask if you want any specific details or photos):

View attachment 692210

View attachment 692211

View attachment 692213

I'm also happy to share quotes that I got for these various services in the Orange County area for anyone that is interested.
Looks great

Thanks for sharing your experience with your front windshield tint!

On another note, does anyone know if it's possible to slightly mar or scratch PPF while washing your car? I know PPF has self healing properties, but was just wondering if you still needed to be extra careful when washing it.
Definitely should still be vigilant. Try not to put your sponges or hand towels on the ground to collect small rocks or other debris. I would almost say treat your car as if there is nothing there.

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22