Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely should still be vigilant. Try not to put your sponges or hand towels on the ground to collect small rocks or other debris. I would almost say treat your car as if there is nothing there.
definitely! are you still able to get/see minor marring on the paint? I am super careful with my MS right now. will be getting it PPF'd in a couple of weeks and just wanted to be prepared :cool:

Reactions: impastu
after PPF installation, is PPF still prone to show light marring or scratches? sorry worded that previous post bad. should have asked if you can still see it on the PPF
No worries. I would say mostly no. You are not going to get those swirl marks like paint. I think the biggest concern is more so ripping or a tear in the film. Someone with a ton more experience might jump in; @TotalDetailing sorry to drag you in here. But they are the experts.

No worries. I would say mostly no. You are not going to get those swirl marks like paint. I think the biggest concern is more so ripping or a tear in the film. Someone with a ton more experience might jump in; @TotalDetailing sorry to drag you in here. But they are the experts.
I am no expert at all but did note one contributor who said that he regularly takes his PPF'd car through auto car washes all the time with no problem.

Just got my car back! STEK Dynomatt on all body-color panels, STEK Dynoshield on all the lights, STEK Dynoshield on all 4 door sill areas, STEK Dynoblack on the Tesla logo in the back.

Tint w/ Formula One Pinnacle to happen in Oct (diff installers).

1632268972884.png

1632268594567.png

1632268846621.png

Thank you!!!

PPF typically will prevent wash marring but you still need to follow proper washing procedures.

Treat your PPF'D vehicle just like you would a ceramic coated one. This is the proper wash method for PPF and coated vehicles.

I am no expert at all but did note one contributor who said that he regularly takes his PPF'd car through auto car washes all the time with no problem.
So, I will bet my entire bank account that it is LOADED with swirls. Look at the PPF areas in direct sunlight. It will NOT hold up to repeated car wash abuse and stay looking good for long. I guarantee it. Please, touchless or better yet - wash by hand only!

Thank you!!!

PPF typically will prevent wash marring but you still need to follow proper washing procedures.

Treat your PPF'D vehicle just like you would a ceramic coated one. This is the proper wash method for PPF and coated vehicles.

So, I will bet my entire bank account that it is LOADED with swirls. Look at the PPF areas in direct sunlight. It will NOT hold up to repeated car wash abuse and stay looking good for long. I guarantee it. Please, touchless or better yet - wash by hand only!
First off, thanks @TotalDetailing for being active on this forum and contributing to the conversation. Super helpful. Second, @r3nd3r there is your answer :)

Thank you!!!

First off, thanks @TotalDetailing for being active on this forum and contributing to the conversation. Super helpful. Second, @r3nd3r there is your answer :)
Thanks guys for your help! I always hand wash so I think I should be fine :)

I use optimum no rinse and a whole bunch of microfiber towels to wipe and dry :p

Reactions: cwanja and impastu
If you get Suntek Reaction PPF which on their site says it "merges the super hydrophobicity of ceramic coating with premium, self-healing paint protection film", is there a benefit to also getting ceramic?

Also, how long does the hydrophobic part of the Suntek reaction last? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ but not if it is unnecessary. I can save the money for what I assume will be the need to ceramic coat the car later after the hydophobic part wears out.

Sorry, it's my first rodeo with PPF/ ceramic or anything and the variety of brands, products, levels, and options is daunting. I'm comparison shopping and know from this board (thanks) that the big main brands are all pretty similar quality wise and it looks like other than different levels within brands, the Reaction is the one that might add something extra (but it won't be worth it if I have to ceramic coat it anyway)

I'm an old dude who always liked waxing my cars (therapeutic and gives you a chance to appreciate them more) but whose back is not as forgiving as it used to be.

If you get Suntek Reaction PPF which on their site says it "merges the super hydrophobicity of ceramic coating with premium, self-healing paint protection film", is there a benefit to also getting ceramic?

Also, how long does the hydrophobic part of the Suntek reaction last? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ but not if it is unnecessary. I can save the money for what I assume will be the need to ceramic coat the car later after the hydophobic part wears out.

Sorry, it's my first rodeo with PPF/ ceramic or anything and the variety of brands, products, levels, and options is daunting. I'm comparison shopping and know from this board (thanks) that the big main brands are all pretty similar quality wise and it looks like other than different levels within brands, the Reaction is the one that might add something extra (but it won't be worth it if I have to ceramic coat it anyway)

I'm an old dude who always liked waxing my cars (therapeutic and gives you a chance to appreciate them more) but whose back is not as forgiving as it used to be.
I am getting Suntek Reaction on my S in a couple of weeks. This has also been a question I’ve had in mind as to the longevity of the hydrophobic properties. Hopefully someone out there has an answer or would like to share their experience with the film.

I’ve read good things about the film. I’ll definitely update with pics when I get mine installed : p

Are you supposed to wait until factory paint is fully cured before doing PPF? My car was built 9/14 and worried next week will be too soon to have it done. Thoughts?
ive seen people on this thread having a PPF appointment way ahead of their pickup date... it's the first thing they do before driving the car. not entirely sure though if it makes a difference

The Ceramic effects last about 5-6 years based in accelerated testing. We've used the Reaction and it's a great film. Seriously top tier.

Some people call it a gimmick. The first 5 years of a films lifetime, is really important. That sets the tone for the rest of it's life. The ceramic does impart some hydrophobics and added gloss but what it does the most and most importantly - boosting the film rigidity. That means better looking film, for a longer period of time.

Best combo? Ceramic Infused film (Like Kavaca coated or reaction) combined with a 5 year or better coating applied on top... That's the best thing you can do to protect your PPF.

definitely! are you still able to get/see minor marring on the paint? I am super careful with my MS right now. will be getting it PPF'd in a couple of weeks and just wanted to be prepared :cool:
PPF does a great job at hiding minor swirls and defects. Its also dependant upon what brand of PPF you use. We use KAVACA - KV Ceramic Coated PPF does a great job at hiding minor defects, so most of the "love marks" the dealer installs, are eliminated without having to touch a polisher.
after PPF installation, is PPF still prone to show light marring or scratches? sorry worded that previous post bad. should have asked if you can still see it on the PPF
YES! Typically they can be swirl but most of those swirls heal out in the sun. If you scratch the PPF and breach the top coat, game over. The PPF doesnt need to be replaced if the breach isn't through to the paint.
Are you supposed to wait until factory paint is fully cured before doing PPF? My car was built 9/14 and worried next week will be too soon to have it done. YES Thoughts?
We have people that book their PPF and coating appointments months in advance, to bring it straight over to the shop the day they pick it up.
ive seen people on this thread having a PPF appointment way ahead of their pickup date... it's the first thing they do before driving the car. not entirely sure though if it makes a difference
It does. I've seen customers pick up rock chips on the way TO OUR SHOP from the delivery location. It happens constantly.

Has anyone tinted the glass roof as well? Or feel that it is not needed
Roof is already pretty dark. I do not intend to tint. But Tesmanian has a removal roof shade in which you may be interested.

Roof is already pretty dark. I do not intend to tint. But Tesmanian has a removal roof shade in which you may be interested.
Thanks yea i like the dark look and would be fine with darker, I have a quote to get the roof done when tinting the other windows when my car arrives but was wondering if it would make any difference with the heat at all since it looks like the oem glass does a pretty good job.

Thanks yea i like the dark look and would be fine with darker, I have a quote to get the roof done when tinting the other windows when my car arrives but was wondering if it would make any difference with the heat at all since it looks like the oem glass does a pretty good job.
The glass roof does a great job and doesn't need tint as far as I am concerned. I tinted all 10 windows but did not tint my roof.