Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a black plaid. Installer was asking me to do Xpel stealth instead of the ultimate. Somehow I don’t think I really like the matte look on black (loos amazing on MSM). Am I crazy to not go matte for about the same price?

Wish STEK had a nice metal flake without the blue purple tones that would snaz up the black.

Anyone do something interesting with black?
I saw a stealth black Plaid the other day and it did look really nice. To me it was much nicer to me than stealth MSM. Has to be your personal preference though since you have to live with it.

I'm too old and stealth seems trendy to me, I went gloss on my MSM.

Last edited:
I saw a stealth black Plaid the other day and it did look really nice. To me it was much nicer to me than stealth MSM. Has to be your personal preference though since you have to live with it.

I'm too old and stealth seems trendy to me, I went gloss on my MSM.
Yeah for whatever reason I think I like the way gloss black is timeless and shines. I want to like matte because it hides swirls so much better but not sure it’s for me.

Here’s what I did with black. Total blackout. Not sure I’d call it “interesting “, but I’m happy with it! 😄

This is beautiful thanks for sharing

Reactions: impastu and GrnSqrl
Yeah for whatever reason I think I like the way gloss black is timeless and shines. I want to like matte because it hides swirls so much better but not sure it’s for me.
You would be surprised how much a clear bra hides swirls as well. In both cases, it is entirely dependent upon how bad the swirl marks are.

But much like you, I love the pristine and piano black look. Cannot wait to get mine back.

I had full PPF installed on October and they did a horrible job. I live in Playa Vista/Venice Los Angeles area for reference of local installers...

The installer blamed everything on the film, which as I have read is one of the best. The film is Suntek Reaction. The installer said the film is garbage and that's why it looks the way it is (i.e. splotchy in some areas when the light hits it, peeling on some edges, light scratches i think from the squeegee). I think this is complete BS. The film should be perfectly fine!

The installer called Suntek and they reimbursed them and the installer told me they will redo the entire vehicle. He still calls Suntek Reaction garbage and claims he will never work with the film again because it is that bad. I just don't believe it and I think their PPF guy was the one to blame for the poor job... The installer insists Suntek Ultra or Legends PPF is so much better.

Mind you, they took about two and a half days to install my whole car! Is this even normal? It felt like such a rushed job in my opinion. Even some of the paint correction was poorly done and I could still see some of the original light marring on the paint underneath the film in some areas.

My question to everyone is... is it really that bad? what would you guys do in my situation? should i just let them remove the film, be reimbursed, and go elsewhere? To what extent should the paint correction be performed? I feel like the initial paint correction should be top priority to ensure the paint is perfect before installing the film, right?

The installer blamed everything on the film, which as I have read is one of the best. The film is Suntek Reaction. The installer said the film is garbage and that's why it looks the way it is (i.e. splotchy in some areas when the light hits it, peeling on some edges, light scratches i think from the squeegee). I think this is complete BS. The film should be perfectly fine!
If it is garbage film, why do they offer it?

Sounds like a cheap installer / not knowledgeable.
My question to everyone is... is it really that bad? what would you guys do in my situation? should i just let them remove the film, be reimbursed, and go elsewhere? To what extent should the paint correction be performed? I feel like the initial paint correction should be top priority to ensure the paint is perfect before installing the film, right?
No clue on the quality, but I would ask for a refund and take it elsewhere. See if you can get someone to comp removing the PPF if you install a fresh wrap with them. I am not sure I would trust your previous installer to remove the "garbage PPF" they installed without doing more damage.

Paint correction is totally relative. And fully dependent upon the paint job on the car. Some do it without a question, some do not. Honestly, my paint job looked fantastic. Better than my Raven S in 2019. No paint correction ordered performed before a full PPF wrap. However, I did ask my detailer to inspect the vehicle to see how the paint quality was.

Delivery today with no problem. A few hopefully minor issues: seam between rear quarter panel not tight, rubber at frunk seam too high. Only items not present were license plate frame and key fobs. Mobile to bring to me Monday. Worth the wait ! Everyone courteous and prompt. Gave me all the time I needed to accept.

Attachments

• C87D7A49-147E-4266-9484-01A88AE94A24.jpeg
    C87D7A49-147E-4266-9484-01A88AE94A24.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 5E8DB192-CF4E-407C-A528-EC39D3BB50EA.jpeg
    5E8DB192-CF4E-407C-A528-EC39D3BB50EA.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 0DEA8654-6F98-4C4B-AEC4-49D642D1328C.jpeg
    0DEA8654-6F98-4C4B-AEC4-49D642D1328C.jpeg
    816.3 KB · Views: 123
If it is garbage film, why do they offer it?

Sounds like a cheap installer / not knowledgeable.

No clue on the quality, but I would ask for a refund and take it elsewhere. See if you can get someone to comp removing the PPF if you install a fresh wrap with them. I am not sure I would trust your previous installer to remove the "garbage PPF" they installed without doing more damage.

Paint correction is totally relative. And fully dependent upon the paint job on the car. Some do it without a question, some do not. Honestly, my paint job looked fantastic. Better than my Raven S in 2019. No paint correction ordered performed before a full PPF wrap. However, I did ask my detailer to inspect the vehicle to see how the paint quality was.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes I am so on the edge of just moving on. I am just so frustrated with the process. This shop does a ton of Teslas, but my car seemed so rushed... like i said they installed the PPF in 2 1/2 days. Ive seen some shops estimate a week or a little more for proper installation. I just wish people would do quality work. Like i dont understand how you can charge so much and do a $h1t job!

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Thanks for your reply!

Yes I am so on the edge of just moving on. I am just so frustrated with the process. This shop does a ton of Teslas, but my car seemed so rushed... like i said they installed the PPF in 2 1/2 days. Ive seen some shops estimate a week or a little more for proper installation. I just wish people would do quality work. Like i dont understand how you can charge so much and do a $h1t job!
I would get a refund, cut your losses and go elsewhere.

Two and a half days seems quick, in my opinion. My shop wanted the car for seven to 10 days. Dropped off yesterday at 10AM. Prep the car. Let it sit. Clear any paint defects found. Wrap the full car body. Let it sit. Do the interior tint. While the tint is sitting, do the exterior ceramic. While that cures, do the interior ceramic. Let it cure and then final walk through. Throw in there that they are closed on Sunday and Monday and I expect to get it back Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

Full transparency - I am no after market expert or anything. Just read a lot and talked to three or four shops at car meet ups and when pricing work.

Reactions: impastu
Thanks for your reply!

I'll add a different perspective here. A shop can easily do a quality PPF job in less than 2-1/2 days if they dedicate the right crew to the job. Doing the car piecemeal adds to time. I have repeatedly watched shops that keep cars longer shuffle cars in and out doing that.

Some areas are important to let the PPF rest for a while to see if it fails. One example is when doing a single piece front bumper/fascia. Sometimes those fail after a few hours or days. That process can add to time. Also shops like to make sure the bond to your paint is really set and that takes time. Things like these are why the shops like to keep your car up to a week. They are definitely not working on it most of the time.

If the shop you went to really does do a ton of Teslas then maybe you can get a refund on the SunTek Reaction and go with a different film like Expel. Or at least something besides Reaction.

By the way, single piece front bumper/fascia is much better than multiple pieces with seams. Ask your shop if they do that. Will be a clue to their skill level.

I ended up getting my PPF & tint from Executint OC in Mission Viejo, $4995 for full car Xpel Ultimate Plus, $695 for Xpel Prime XR Plus on all windows, with $325 additional for windshield. I would give tint job 5 stars, PPF 4.5 stars (few small defects and a couple edges that aren't perfect, but most people wouldn't notice). They do not do ceramic coating.

I did ceramic coating through Ultimate Custom Car Care in Tustin, $790 for 1 layer Ceramic Pro PPF/Vinyl plus 1 layer top coat (includes wheel faces and calipers, as well as all glass), plus $150 for interior ceramic coating.

Here's a spreadsheet I compiled when getting quotes for all the services if you are interested:
2021 Tesla Model S Tint PPF Ceramic (OC)
Thank you for the spreadsheet. Greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: impastu and WiLz
I'll add a different perspective here. A shop can easily do a quality PPF job in less than 2-1/2 days if they dedicate the right crew to the job. Doing the car piecemeal adds to time. I have repeatedly watched shops that keep cars longer shuffle cars in and out doing that.

Some areas are important to let the PPF rest for a while to see if it fails. One example is when doing a single piece front bumper/fascia. Sometimes those fail after a few hours or days. That process can add to time. Also shops like to make sure the bond to your paint is really set and that takes time. Things like these are why the shops like to keep your car up to a week. They are definitely not working on it most of the time.

If the shop you went to really does do a ton of Teslas then maybe you can get a refund on the SunTek Reaction and go with a different film like Expel. Or at least something besides Reaction.

By the way, single piece front bumper/fascia is much better than multiple pieces with seams. Ask your shop if they do that. Will be a clue to their skill level.
My car is in the PPF shop as we speak. I will write up a review later, once I have time to fully analyze the final product. Stopped by today, and they had a team of 3 people working on it: PPF and tint. Dropped off Monday evening, and should be ready for pick up early Friday morning. That's 3 days total. That's they way things should be done: focus and get 'er done.

What do people do with FasTrak devices that are supposed to be mounted to the windshield? I also have a parking pass that is affixed to my windshield with super strong adhesive. I am concerned that if the time comes to remove or change them, it could damage the tint.

Would someone mind running out and measuring the location of the factory PLAID badge on the trunk? I need to apply my new one post PPF.

Distance from bottom edge of trunk to bottom of letters
Distance from right edge of trunk to left edge of the “P”

That would be ideal. (Though right edge of the “D” would also work)

Thanks in advance!

Would someone mind running out and measuring the location of the factory PLAID badge on the trunk? I need to apply my new one post PPF.

Distance from bottom edge of trunk to bottom of letters
Distance from right edge of trunk to left edge of the “P”

That would be ideal. (Though right edge of the “D” would also work)

Thanks in advance!
Here you go. I had measured the same way before my PPF and had deleted these. Found them still on my phone.

I checked the original and it was level while sitting in my garage. The tape is true level under the badge even though it does not look like it. Hope it helps.
IMG_5845.jpg
IMG_5847.jpg

Just took delivery of a MSM Plaid and will be having PPF installed but earliest availability is in February. Should I hold off on having the car washed until then? As best as I try, I’m still worried about leaving swirl marks before the PPF goes on. Likely going to do XPEL Stealth and not sure I’d even be able to see swirls underneath the film so I may be overthinking this. Any thoughts appreciated!

Reactions: impastu and GrnSqrl
Just took delivery of a MSM Plaid and will be having PPF installed but earliest availability is in February. Should I hold off on having the car washed until then? As best as I try, I’m still worried about leaving swirl marks before the PPF goes on. Likely going to do XPEL Stealth and not sure I’d even be able to see swirls underneath the film so I may be overthinking this. Any thoughts appreciated!
Swirl marks won't matter under PPF. You will not be able to see them.